Turn on thread page Beta

when it comes to your more fashionable items of clothing, do you genuinely like them? watch

ReputationRep:
    do you like your more fashionable items of clothing as much as you should?

what i mean by this is that:

have you always bought your more fashionable clothes purely based on the fact you love the design? (obviously you'd atleast go for decent quality materials too) if yes there's no need to look at the questions below, but if not then:

do you/did you ever used to pass up on clothes you would actually like to wear because you're ashamed of being associated with a certain brand name/type of people? if so, do you mind saying what exactly?

do you/did you ever used to buy clothing that you don't really like the design of as much as other clothing items of the same type, but it's by a brand name that you want to showoff?

If you answer these questions, would you care to give some examples? don't be shy :]

i thought of making this thread after going through the "what not to wear" thread and the male/female fashion threads. interesting to see how people ask for approval on what to wear a lot of the time and end up passing up on things you can tell they like because of what a few other people said. a lot of people seem to almost ask for approval to buy their items of clothing and it shows how much of an influence the general public has on their fashion sense (not trying to be derogatory or anything here please don't get that impression). not talking about when people ask those sort of questions on what to wear for an important interview or something, talking about casualwear.

i could summarize this by saying "how much of an influence does the general public have on what you wear" which i'd like to know too but please answer the above questions as well ^__^.

there are just some random questions that were on my mind, not for a project or anything lol. might not have phrased some things right too, just typed this out quickly!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -anti-anti-)
    have you always bought your more fashionable clothes purely based on the fact you love the design? (obviously you'd atleast go for decent quality materials too) if yes there's no need to look at the questions below, but if not then:
    'HYPE' items of clothing.. just for luls sometimes. and i sometimes cop something i'm not over-the-moon about if it's a bargainnnn

[edit]: just to clarify.. i wouldn't buy them if i disliked them obviously.. that's retarded. i would be more inclined to buy something because of the hype. that's what i meant.

(Original post by -anti-anti-)
    do you/did you ever used to pass up on clothes you would actually like to wear because you're ashamed of being associated with a certain brand name/type of people? if so, do you mind saying what exactly?
    yes.. lyle & scott woolen knits 3/4 years ago. then the chavs latched on and quality plummeted. even unstitched the lyle and scott logo off on of my knits when I had it.
    evisu's i wear rarely now also because of the association. the jeans are such good quality though. real sad shame. same with BAPE and BBC.
    I also unstitched my nudie's back pocket logo when every tom **** and harry were wearing them.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think I could buy something just because it was in fashion if I didn't actually like it (although there's always a few items that you buy thinking you really like and then you end up not liking them anywhere near as much as you thought!)

But if I don't like the design of something I wouldn't wear it just because it was in fashion, and also partly because if I don't like something it's often going to be because a) it's not my style or b) it doesn't actually look good on me.

I might pass up on clothes I kind of liked because of the association, but not on the whole. I suppose there's things that I look at and think 'I like that but I'd never wear it', but not really because of what they're 'associated' with.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.