Turn on thread page Beta

When exam boards simply take the p**** watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Josh_Dey)
    Ah, that's fine then

What have you heard about the Biology exams though?
    I heard their Biology papers are unfair like AQA

ReputationRep:
    OP spells 'p***' with four asterisks and complains that exam boards are the reason people fail in education. Classic.

ReputationRep:
    apparently one of the reasons why our class did so bad in the AQA phyiscs EMPA was because they had pedantically stupid things that we needed to adhere to like using a '+' instead of a 'x' to mark points on a graph and having to use a solidus instead of parentheses when stating the units of measurement ¬¬

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by canthardlywait)
    AQA especially with there markschemes. For example in the As sciences, how many makrs do people miss out on, just because they didn't write the answer in a specific way. I mean there some almost indentical questions on different papers, which have differences in the mark scheme answer. Surely it's to a point where they're robbing the student of marks.
    There markschemes? You don't deserve any bloody marks, even if you study science.

Who wants illiterate scientists?

ReputationRep:
    Edexcel Biology = :facepalm2:.

ReputationRep:
    Try WJEC biology.. **** questions that often have nothing to do with what you've learnt. :sigh:

ReputationRep:
    aqa screwed me over, by marking me down by 5 marks on my chem2 paper ://
    AND they've done it again on my chem4 paper!
    sooo retakes here i come (btw im not remarking cus the deadline for remaring was before i even got my paper back!)
    whata bunch of poos

p.s ALSO mini rant, they raised the grade boundries, so my physics ISA mark went from a B to an E!
    so my overall grade went from a B to a C.
    fuming.

ReputationRep:
    AQA Biology and Physics, it's painful doing past papers.

ReputationRep:

Had to do it!

ReputationRep:
    OCR Salters Chemistry

ReputationRep:
    AQA Sociology takes the piss.
    Literally one mark between every grade boundry, so mess up on a 2 mark question and you've gone from an A to a C.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by niharika.jha)
    aqa screwed me over, by marking me down by 5 marks on my chem2 paper ://
    AND they've done it again on my chem4 paper!
    sooo retakes here i come (btw im not remarking cus the deadline for remaring was before i even got my paper back!)
    whata bunch of poos

p.s ALSO mini rant, they raised the grade boundries, so my physics ISA mark went from a B to an E!
    so my overall grade went from a B to a C.
    fuming.
    it's amazing how an exam board, a factor which you cannot control, can affect ones grade so much!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Network)
    OCR Salters Chemistry
    I quite like it

what do you find that's so bad?

ReputationRep:
    I got my unit 2 biology paper back. There was a question about why a change of base wouldn't change the amino acid. I put 'because acg and agg both code for gly' (or something to that effect). I put gly because that's what it said in the table (there was gly, val, ser etc). I didn't get the mark because I didn't put glycine, even though it was nowhere to be found in the question.

ReputationRep:
    Biology AQA GCE papers are the worst.

**** you how science works

ReputationRep:
    **** Edexcel with their horse **** raw marks to UMS conversion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lollyage)
    Try WJEC biology.. **** questions that often have nothing to do with what you've learnt. :sigh:
    Registered for the sole purpose of giving you rep. A-level bio and chem with WJEC is beyond agonising.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by canthardlywait)
    AQA especially with there markschemes. For example in the As sciences, how many makrs do people miss out on, just because they didn't write the answer in a specific way. I mean there some almost indentical questions on different papers, which have differences in the mark scheme answer. Surely it's to a point where they're robbing the student of marks.
    AQA is dodgy - I agree for Biology it is difficult and annoying. But AQA Maths is nice.

It seems like in Biology they want you to answer something in a certain way but give you no direction as to what they want... esp when they say "suggest" - most exam boards would be pretty flexible as long as you justify your answer but not AQA for Biology :O

ReputationRep:
    Aqa ict

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ilyking)
    it's amazing how an exam board, a factor which you cannot control, can affect ones grade so much!

i know! so hoping they don't muck up my paper in the summer...i really want to get into my top choice of uni!

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
  2. University of Glasgow
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Tue, 28 Aug '18
  3. University of Aberdeen
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 28 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.