Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure everyone has different visions of what a modern day dystopia would look like. Films like equilibrium, children of men, 1984 and V for Vendetta paint a totalitarian state where we lose all our freedoms. We are led to believe that some massive apocalyptic event will change things for the worse like in 2012, Book of Eli, Terminator, Waterworld or Mad Max to name a few.

There is a book by Neil Postman called 'Amusing ourselves to death' from which the following graphic is depicted:

Spoiler:
    Show

It serves to highlight the difference that interpretations of dystopia can mean and also touches a chord with modern day society as a whole. While Postman makes his own points he uses Huxley's earlier work as supporting groundwork.

I'm not really sure of what my point is, or even if I have one but I would like to hear others thoughts around this topic. Is modern day society just a negative Utopia?

ReputationRep:
    There are people in the world right now who are starving to death because of factors beyond their control. That is dystopia.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dogatonic)
    There are people in the world right now who are starving to death because of factors beyond their control. That is dystopia.
    Think you've entirely missed the point/meaning of the original post and posted something completely unrelated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cormack12)
    Think you've entirely missed the point/meaning of the original post and posted something completely unrelated.
    (Original post by cormack12)
    I'm not really sure of what my point is, or even if I have one but I would like to hear others thoughts around this topic.
    Well played, well played.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dogatonic)
    Well played, well played.
    Are you that tedious you need every little thing explained entirely to you? Here's one then, explain how a third world country classifies as a model of dystopia, or I could edit the original post to say 'relevant thoughts'. Your choice.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.