Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    hey... im revising for my AS Scramble for Africa History exam.. im quite confident but i Cant get my head round the second Boer and why its so lengthy and expensive... if you have any useful links could you please share?
    thanks
    Z.H

ReputationRep:
    never studied it, but no one has replied yet so I'll advise you to go on the the ccea or whatever the exam board is a download all the mark schemes related to the question. Theres your bread and butter. After that build on it using what ever books you bought (if you haven't bought any buy at least one good one or go to the libary and get one..check amazon etc for reviews and the likes).

Sorry can't be more help.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you!
    it helped a lot

(Original post by Z.H)
    hey... im revising for my AS Scramble for Africa History exam.. im quite confident but i Cant get my head round the second Boer and why its so lengthy and expensive... if you have any useful links could you please share?
    thanks
    Z.H
    Lengthy and expensive for who? The British? Various reasons, really. But off the top of my head..
    Guerilla tactics used by the Boers made the War quite lengthy. It is actually very difficult to beat an opponent when they use such tactics. The Boers used smokeless cartridges in their rifles - as opposed to the British ones, that gave their position away. Additionally the British Army couldn't hope to beat the Boers (especially snipers) with the royal red uniform and the use of Horses that had been previously used. So in this respect, cavalry warfare was coming to a dead wall.

The length of war made it increasingly expensive, though there are a few other reasons why cost may have occurred.
    - The introduction and maintaining of concentration camps (which, mind you, was badly kept)
    - The cost of retraining, rearming and reuniforming the Army -> i.e Lee-Enfield rifle and Khaki uniforms.
    - The prospect that the value of potential gold in the Orange Free State outweighed the cost of the war.

There are other reasons but that covers a fair bit of ground....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stricof)
    Lengthy and expensive for who? The British? Various reasons, really. But off the top of my head..
    Guerilla tactics used by the Boers made the War quite lengthy. It is actually very difficult to beat an opponent when they use such tactics. The Boers used smokeless cartridges in their rifles - as opposed to the British ones, that gave their position away. Additionally the British Army couldn't hope to beat the Boers (especially snipers) with the royal red uniform and the use of Horses that had been previously used. So in this respect, cavalry warfare was coming to a dead wall.

The length of war made it increasingly expensive, though there are a few other reasons why cost may have occurred.
    - The introduction and maintaining of concentration camps (which, mind you, was badly kept)
    - The cost of retraining, rearming and reuniforming the Army -> i.e Lee-Enfield rifle and Khaki uniforms.
    - The prospect that the value of potential gold in the Orange Free State outweighed the cost of the war.

There are other reasons but that covers a fair bit of ground....

yes for the british...i know im on the right lines now

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.