Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

I've got a bit confused with this. Is there a rotating magnet within a coil or is it like an alternator with a coil rotating between two magnets?
    It's for my A2 Physics coursework

cheers for any help

I believe it is to do with the motor effect - Flemings LHR

The dyanamo is a rectangular frame and current passes through it. Some of this current acts perpendicular to the magntic field so it has no force on it. The other sides act perpendicular to the field and the current go in oppose it directions on each side. The means that there are two forces acting on the frame.

One forces the 'left' side down and the other forces the 'right' side down. This causes the motor to spin. (because the currents are going in opposite directions).

Eventually this effect will leave the frame in a state of equilibrium where it is perpendiculal to the magnetic field. To stop this from happening split ring communtators reverse the current (making it AC) and the frame continues to spin.

I think that is the jist of it?
How are you feeling about your exams?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.