The Student Room Group

Nuclear Power: Join the Debate?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by loquita
:s-smilie:Sorry but the risk of leakages from power plants and the waste scares me. Radiation is no joke. I don't want my future kids to end up with extra limbs if there is a big explosion if the residues end up in drinking water!

:facepalm2:

What if your future kids were living in a world where energy were scarce?
Original post by blueray
I agree on some but this "Nuclear power is the only energy source which will be able to meet growing energy demands, renewable sources are just too inneficient/unreliable to match the energy demands of the future"

Is this so wrong its been proven by many scientists, independent groups, academics etc that it can be done.
If I can find a bbc breakfast recording their was a good debate on it and how it can be done. :h:

OK, then prove it.

If it were true, why the hell isn't it being done?
Original post by blueray
Is that why they implemented more than a 12-20 mile exclusion zone in japan for the nuclear plant.
Is that why they were testing people for increase in iodine levels.
If it was that safe they wouldn't need to do that.
Everything we can achieve with nuclear, we can achieve with renewable sources and best of all if they break they don't endanger loads of people nor do they have a 20 mile exclusion zone. :yep:

Sources?
Original post by blueray
The last link is the best. Read all of it and check your self before you ask where my figures are from.
http://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=148887675175796
http://googlemapsmania.blogspot.com/2011/03/20km-exclusion-zone-on-google-maps.html ( your right the news it conflicting here its 20 km ?)
http://www.metronews.ca/london/world/article/818322--un-high-radiation-outside-japan-s-exclusion-zone
Japanese officials have told residents to evacuate within a 12-mile (20-kilometre) zone and to stay indoors within 18 miles (30 kilometres) of the damaged complex, but U.S. officials have recommended citizens stay at least 50 miles (80 kilometres) away.

They are poor articles (Facebook?) that are not verified from those who are in the nuclear business, e.g. nuclear physicists.
I doubt most people here have any knowledge of the inner workings of a Nuclear Power Plant or even how 'nuclear power' is harnassed in the reactor.
Reply 45
Let alone the fact that it takes 30 years for a new renewable energy source to be capable of supplying 1% of the national grid. Fission is the best/safest/cleanest/most practical we have until some clever clogs master fusion.

Source: Debate featuring BP renewables head engineer.
Reply 46
Original post by Ari Ben Canaan
I doubt most people here have any knowledge of the inner workings of a Nuclear Power Plant or even how 'nuclear power' is harnassed in the reactor.

I do.
Original post by im so academic
Sources?

This is the reason why you have so many neg reps, I can't be bothered to teach right now, sorry.

Original post by Mad Vlad
I do.

Then you should feel sorry for the workers that died via nuclear plants :mad: If it was solar power, they wouldn't have.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 48
Original post by blueray
This is the reason why you have so many neg reps, I can't be bothered to teach right now, sorry.

Then you should feel sorry for the workers that died via nuclear plants :mad: If it was solar power, they wouldn't have.

You mean solar panels can stop Tsunamis?
Original post by blueray

If you cannot be bothered to back up your claims, the statements you make are not valid.
Reply 50
Original post by blueray

Again, you're spouting rubbish.

http://nextbigfuture.com/2008/03/deaths-per-twh-for-all-energy-sources.html

There's a great deal of evidence and professional opinion that in terms of Health and Safety, there's no safer industry than the Nuclear Industry. More people have died from rooftop photovoltaic cells than have died as a result of Nuclear power.
Original post by Aj12
You mean solar panels can stop Tsunamis?

Lack of knowledge go to geo class. ( Don't worry I can see sarcasm)
What I said was U.S. officials have recommended citizens stay at least 50 miles (80 kilometres) away.

Original post by im so academic
If you cannot be bothered to back up your claims, the statements you make are not valid.

Look at your red gems. That's enough evidence.
Reply 52
Original post by blueray
Lack of knowledge go to geo class. ( Don't worry I can see sarcasm)
What I said was U.S. officials have recommended citizens stay at least 50 miles (80 kilometres) away.

Look at your red gems. That's enough evidence.

Lack of knowledge lulz.

I think thats you. No one has died because of radiation in the Fukushima plant. The two workers were killed by the Tsunami. Plus green energy as I am sure others have explained is useless when compared to nuclear power.

Oh yeah and Solar is not that clean due to the chemicals in the panels and such.
Original post by Mad Vlad
Again, you're spouting rubbish.

http://nextbigfuture.com/2008/03/deaths-per-twh-for-all-energy-sources.html

There's a great deal of evidence and professional opinion that in terms of Health and Safety, there's no safer industry than the Nuclear Industry. More people have died from rooftop photovoltaic cells than have died as a result of Nuclear power.

Guys guys guys, I am not saying that nuclear kills more people than rooftop accidents. What I am saying is that if their is a accident then many people will die.
Why have that risk if we can have renewable's.

Original post by Aj12
Lack of knowledge lulz.

I think thats you. No one has died because of radiation in the Fukushima plant. The two workers were killed by the Tsunami. Plus green energy as I am sure others have explained is useless when compared to nuclear power.

Oh yeah and Solar is not that clean due to the chemicals in the panels and such.

If a tusnmai hit some solar panel their would not be U.S. officials recommending citizens stay at least 50 miles (80 kilometres) away.

Oh and by the way nuclear power is extremely costly. Building or restarting the number of nuclear power plants that the industry is pushing for would cost trillions of dollars. For example, there was an estimate created by the Florida Power and Light company to create a new reactor plant with a price tag of between $12 and $18 billion dollars for a single project. This sticker shock would be passed on to consumers already struggling in a weak economy.
Reply 55
Original post by blueray
Guys guys guys, I am not saying that nuclear kills more people than rooftop accidents. What I am saying is that if their is a accident then many people will die.

But we can't. The land requirements are insane. The cost is crazy and all renewable methods are bloody inefficient or environmental destroying. See the 3 gorges dam.
Reply 56
Original post by blueray

What part of, "Renewables simply cannot cut it..." do you not understand?
Reply 57
Original post by blueray
If a tusnmai hit some solar panel their would not be U.S. officials recommending citizens stay at least 50 miles (80 kilometres) away.

Oh and by the way nuclear power is extremely costly. Building or restarting the number of nuclear power plants that the industry is pushing for would cost trillions of dollars. For example, there was an estimate created by the Florida Power and Light company to create a new reactor plant with a price tag of between $12 and $18 billion dollars for a single project. This sticker shock would be passed on to consumers already struggling in a weak economy.

What? Judging by my quick google a BBC article puts the estimate for a plant built in finland at around 1 billion. Which seems a lot of nuke plants last around 40 plus years.
...nuclear power..geez
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 59
There is no ****ing debate. Well-informed people vs hysterical morons does not make a debate.

Quick Reply

Latest