Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...et-attack.html

Just read the above article and this caught my eye:

A total of 19 teenagers were unlawfully killed in London last year.

How many people have been arrested and charged with the murders?

Can anyone provide statistics?

THanks
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Not sure. The Police can be very hush hush about these kinds of things and the Media are never that interested in the follow up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)
    Not sure. The Police can be very hush hush about these kinds of things and the Media are never that interested in the follow up.
    I know one guy who died last year March, about 20 people chased and stabbed him in a tube station full of CCTV and dozens of people watching, but the trial just started 2 months ago. It took them 10 months...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamesrune75)
    I know one guy who died last year March, about 20 people chased and stabbed him in a tube station full of CCTV and dozens of people watching, but the trial just started 2 months ago. It took them 10 months...
    All cases take that long, and longer, i can't remember statistics from my law class and cba to find any cuz im busy watching family guy, but 10 months sounds like an average, if not short, amount of time. Lot's of reasons why, courts are busy places, talks between lawyers + insurance companies etc(depending on cases) can take a long time too.

ReputationRep:
    they were "accidents"
    keeps stats down

ReputationRep:
    A few years ago, five people were murdered in Edmonton within a period of 24 hours. The town now has the nickname 'Shanktown'. Unfortunately, I happen to go to school within walking distance from where these crimes were committed, but it's not really that bad, and it's rare that someone from my school is bothered by anyone. The police have been surprisingly effective at cooperating with local schools, and tracking down criminals.

I've only just read the article, and what's happened is atrocious, but it doesn't make me feel much less comfortable about going to Edmonton. :shrugs: I guess you get used to going to school, or living - I'm glad to say I don't actually live anywhere near Edmonton, as that would probably be a completely different experience - in a crime hot-spot.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by und)
    A few years ago, five people were murdered in Edmonton within a period of 24 hours. The town now has the nickname 'Shanktown'. Unfortunately, I happen to go to school within walking distance from where these crimes were committed, but it's not really that bad, and it's rare that someone from my school is bothered by anyone. The police have been surprisingly effective at cooperating with local schools, and tracking down criminals.

I've only just read the article, and what's happened is atrocious, but it doesn't make me feel much less comfortable about going to Edmonton. :shrugs: I guess you get used to going to school, or living - I'm glad to say I don't actually live anywhere near Edmonton, as that would probably be a completely different experience - in a crime hot-spot.
    London is crime ridden.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...st-London.html

That was literally 1000m from my house..

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I live down the road. It's a HUGE problem in Edmonton; I think what the police needs to do is to take out the D.A / G.M.G / Shankstarz gang members at the top and then everything else will crumble. Catching these little boys on the street and locking them up isn't doing anything, they just keep recruiting new members from local schools.

R.I.P Negus McClean

ReputationRep:
    London is crime ridden.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...st-London.html

That was literally 1000m from my house..
    What he said.

Something happened a whole 1000m (which is obviously very very close) to his house, thus the whole of london must be crime hidden. Fantastic point right there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by und)

I don't recall 5 murders, there were 6 stabbings in 24 hours and 5 were in a critical condition however none died.
    And the man who committed the stabbings was a mental health patient from St Ann's Hospital in Tottenham.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ash121)
    I don't recall 5 murders, there were 6 stabbings in 24 hours and 5 were in a critical condition however none died.
    And the man who committed the stabbings was a mental health patient from St Ann's Hospital in Tottenham.
    I'm pretty sure these stabbings were unrelated, which is even more shocking. I'll try to find a news article, if I can, and edit my post to link to it.

Edit: Here it is: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/7501258.stm

My bad: it's actually four, but another man was stabbed in West Bromwich, making it five in one day. Here's a Sky News article as well: http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/UK-...00807215031812

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tommyjw)
    What he said.

Something happened a whole 1000m (which is obviously very very close) to his house, thus the whole of london must be crime hidden. Fantastic point right there.
    I meant 100m, so sorry your sarcasm didn't work. And London is crime ridden anyway, its the crime capital of western europe.

ReputationRep:
    I meant 100m, so sorry your sarcasm didn't work. And London is crime ridden anyway, its the crime capital of western europe.
    Well, actually, yes it does.
    Unlucky bro.

ReputationRep:
    It saddens me how ineffective the police seem to be in combating this type of crime.

Someone call Harry Brown...

ReputationRep:
    Hardly. Glasgow has (or at least until recently had) more murders per 100,000 of the population then anywhere else in the UK. Off the top of my head, places such as the barrios of Barcelona, the banlieues of Paris, the suburbs of Naples are considerably dangerous in terms of both minor and organised crime.

London is one of the most important cities in the world and so it is always going to attract large amounts of crime both from international criminal organisations and that stemming from the poverty (which to be frank is generally nowhere near as bad as many other European cities, though admittedly severe in a few places).

(Original post by und)

I have spent a few nights in Edmonton as I have friends there. One time I heard the near continious sound of police sirens all throughout the early morning1 Ive heard stories from friends like a guy running into a barbers because he was being chased by people trying to stab him, and someone who had been mugged like 5 times lol! Still, no offence but I cant believe that 5 people were murdered in 24 hours in a single ward of London. Maybe you mean they were murdered all over North London no? I thought Shanktown came from the sheer number of knife point robberies?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adam_zed)
    Still, no offence but I cant believe that 5 people were murdered in 24 hours in a single ward of London. Maybe you mean they were murdered all over North London no? I thought Shanktown came from the sheer number of knife point robberies?
    Well, it wasn't exactly one ward - just within a few miles of Edmonton. I've already posted links to news articles about it. I don't tend to hear that many police sirens, although that's probably because I spend a lot of my time in the 'nicer' part of Edmonton (if such a place exists!), and nowhere near a road. Knife point robberies are relatively common, but I only know a few people who've experienced them.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 12, 2011
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.