Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I've left my revision too late. I'm so scared. :/

I'm only starting today - a month and 5 days before my first exam.

I have:

16th May - Eng paper 1
    18th May - Eng paper 2
    24th May - Eng lit
    6th June - Maths terminal paper
    7th June - WJEC history 1910-1929 USA
    7th June - WJEC history Germany 1929-1947
    10th June - Child development
    14th June - WJEC History USA 1929-2000
    15th June - CHY1H
    17th June - PHY1H
    21st June - M10 resist (got an A* so not sure why)

aaaah any advice? especially with english revision.

ReputationRep:
    With english, I find using ideas from class coupled with my own interpretation in practising essays is good revision for poetry and english lit novels.

ReputationRep:
    I only started today too, and it was really half-hearted
    English Literature? If so, making revision cards of themes, context and critical positions (eg. Feminist, Marxist, Psychoanalyst) really helps me. That way, irrespective of the question, you can always refer back to something to talk about, and using context/critical positions is paramount to scoring good marks in English.

ReputationRep:
    You don't even need to do that exam paper won't it count your A*? The M10 resit? Or just go in for 10mins of it and it uses your highest? Anyways just do TONS or practice questions, they do help trust me And remember all language, structure etc techniques. For science go through the specification and learn it inside out, and do past papers. I like to do the bitesize activities over and over till I remember it, this will give you the info for a high B/low A in my experience, then go over the spec to make sure you get as high as possible.

ReputationRep:
    For English WJEC does anyone know how to answer each question of Paper 1 and 2?
    This will really help because, I have been doing many papers (doing the same thing each time).
    I do not know how to improve so mark schemes or how to answer and what to include in each question would be great.

Also, I would say make a revision timetable -- get revising is good for making this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LeaX)
    I've left my revision too late. I'm so scared. :/

I'm only starting today - a month and 5 days before my first exam.

I have:

16th May - Eng paper 1
    18th May - Eng paper 2
    24th May - Eng lit
    6th June - Maths terminal paper
    7th June - WJEC history 1910-1929 USA
    7th June - WJEC history Germany 1929-1947
    10th June - Child development
    14th June - WJEC History USA 1929-2000
    15th June - CHY1H
    17th June - PHY1H
    21st June - M10 resist (got an A* so not sure why)

aaaah any advice? especially with english revision.

Ah I still haven't started my english revision as well I have a rough idea of how to revise for the poems, but it's the writing part of the Lang paper that I struggle with :/ Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by InadequateJusticex)
    Ah I still haven't started my english revision as well I have a rough idea of how to revise for the poems, but it's the writing part of the Lang paper that I struggle with :/ Good luck!
    I'm just bad at English completely, lol. The only part I can do is the argue, persuade advise bit. I always pick persuade then do AFOREST:

Anecdote
    Facts
    Opinions
    Rhetorical questions
    Exageration
    Statistics
    Three (rule of three)

As for the poems, I have no idea how to compare them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LeaX)
    I'm just bad at English completely, lol. The only part I can do is the argue, persuade advise bit. I always pick persuade then do AFOREST:

Anecdote
    Facts
    Opinions
    Rhetorical questions
    Exageration
    Statistics
    Three (rule of three)

As for the poems, I have no idea how to compare them.
    Ah yes, that's the mnemonics I was looking for. Thanks And what poems are you talking about? Literature or Language (different cultures)? The methods are the same but for Literature it's a bit more complicated

ReputationRep:
    Ah yes, that's the mnemonics I was looking for. Thanks And what poems are you talking about? Literature or Language (different cultures)? The methods are the same but for Literature it's a bit more complicated
    Both to be honest :P But Literature mainly

ReputationRep:
    Coherence, logic, acknowledgement of interpretations, originality absolutely key for literature!, etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Inquisitive)
    originality absolutely key for literature!, etc.
    Thank **** for that!
    My interpretations are weird, every time I do a past paper, the teacher goes "never thought of it like that before..."

ReputationRep:
    I'm highly unoriginal so I'm ****ed lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LeaX)
    I'm highly unoriginal so I'm ****ed lol
    I use to be crap at English, got E in Lit and C in Lang in the mocks.
    Got predicted a C by some miracle.
    Then I started to get serious and made an effort to do well in English, now I get low As or very high Bs in past papers and actually enjoy it now.
    I see English as similar to Maths (love Maths), it just uses logic as said by Mr Inquisitive.
    You just need to say what you think something means then write what made you think that with evidence. Don't forget to include quotes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LeaX)
    Both to be honest :P But Literature mainly
    I panicked so much for the Literature mock exam and I didn't get to finish answering the question. I somehow fluked it and got an A with no revision at all. To get a good mark, make sure you're always comparing FILMS:

Feelings/Attitude
    Imagery
    Language
    Meaning
    Structure

Like the other poster mentioned, make sure to include original interpretations. Doesn't have to be mind-blowing, just something a bit different, backed with appropriate evidence.

ReputationRep:
    I panicked so much for the Literature mock exam and I didn't get to finish answering the question. I somehow fluked it and got an A with no revision at all. To get a good mark, make sure you're always comparing FILMS:

Feelings/Attitude
    Imagery
    Language
    Meaning
    Structure

Like the other poster mentioned, make sure to include original interpretations. Doesn't have to be mind-blowing, just something a bit different, backed with appropriate evidence.
    I used MITSL, FILMS is probably easier to remember.

Meaning
    Imagery
    Tone
    Structure
    Language

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dabest2500)
    Thank **** for that!
    My interpretations are weird, every time I do a past paper, the teacher goes "never thought of it like that before..."
    That's the best way to go about it. I formed hundreds of different interpretations in GCSE Literature about how the poems can be viewed as metaphors, how they symbolise, x, y & z and then came up with a completely different one in the exam.

ReputationRep:
    That's the best way to go about it. I formed hundreds of different interpretations in GCSE Literature about how the poems can be viewed as metaphors, how they symbolise, x, y & z and then came up with a completely different one in the exam.
    The great thing about English is that as long as you have evidence, you're always correct

ReputationRep:
    The great thing about English is that as long as you have evidence, you're always correct
    Precisely. Are your GCSE English exams soon then?

If so, (and you're on AQA), I'd certainly recommend this: http://www.amazon.co.uk/English-Lite...2601252&sr=8-1

not that you don't have the capacity to achieve top grades - you seem like you do - but it's a very helpful resource nonetheless.

ReputationRep:
    Precisely. Are your GCSE English exams soon then?

If so, (and you're on AQA), I'd certainly recommend this: http://www.amazon.co.uk/English-Lite...2601252&sr=8-1

not that you don't have the capacity to achieve top grades - you seem like you do - but it's a very helpful resource nonetheless.
    They are, my first exam is English too.
    I don't do Heaney and Clarke.
    But thanks anyway

ReputationRep:
    They are, my first exam is English too.
    I don't do Heaney and Clarke.
    But thanks anyway
    Nor did I It has all of the poems in.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.