Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Revision - starting today :S English watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Inquisitive)
    Nor did I It has all of the poems in.
    I just do past papers as advised by my teacher.
    You don't really need to memorise all the features of a poem, just how to pull them out.
    I seem to have a problem in exams though, I keep ASSUMING.
    For example in a Science exam, "How does yeast cause bread to rise?" and I just mention Anaerobic respiration without even talking about CO2 and get 1 mark for it
    You need to treat the examiner like a baby

ReputationRep:
    I only started revising today too. Here are the subjects I'm taking exams in, along with what I got in my mocks (basically what I can expect to get with no revision):

A English Language (will require a fair bit of perfecting exam technique)
    B English Literature (this, I'm going to revise the most)
    A* Russian (I need to learn my presentation, but I'll spend a few hours on it at most / no revision required for Reading and Listening)
    A* French (same as Russian)
    A* History (I only have one exam and I need 66/100 UMS for an A*, so I'll just go over my notes - shouldn't take any longer than a few hours)
    A* Geography (this will actually require a fair bit of revision - probably second behind English Literature)
    A* Chemistry (most of it is self-explanatory; not much revision required other than reading through a revision guide)
    A* Biology (same as Chemistry)
    A* Physics (same as Chemistry)
    A* Maths (lol, I'm going to enjoy those 1h45m exams )

Overall, English Literature and Geography are the subjects that I'm actually going to revise for properly. I'm going to get a fair bit of sleep over the Easter holidays .

ReputationRep:
    May I ask, for those who are doing the short stories in their English Literature Exam - how do you structure you comparison essays. I am really confused in how to do that.

Thanks in advance

Good luck everyone

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by und)
    I only started revising today too. Here are the subjects I'm taking exams in, along with what I got in my mocks (basically what I can expect to get with no revision):

A English Language (will require a fair bit of perfecting exam technique)
    B English Literature (this, I'm going to revise the most)
    A* Russian (I need to learn my presentation, but I'll spend a few hours on it at most / no revision required for Reading and Listening)
    A* French (same as Russian)
    A* History (I only have one exam and I need 66/100 UMS for an A*, so I'll just go over my notes - shouldn't take any longer than a few hours)
    A* Geography (this will actually require a fair bit of revision - probably second behind English Literature)
    A* Chemistry (most of it is self-explanatory; not much revision required other than reading through a revision guide)
    A* Biology (same as Chemistry)
    A* Physics (same as Chemistry)
    A* Maths (lol, I'm going to enjoy those 1h45m exams )

Overall, English Literature and Geography are the subjects that I'm actually going to revise for properly. I'm going to get a fair bit of sleep over the Easter holidays .
    WITHOUT revision?
    Bloody hell.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dabest2500)
    WITHOUT revision?
    Bloody hell.
    Well, I did do perhaps about 30 minutes for each subject, but not in a particularly organised way. I can't wait until I'm doing my A levels - no more English!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by und)
    Well, I did do perhaps about 30 minutes for each subject, but not in a particularly organised way. I can't wait until I'm doing my A levels - no more English!
    Wow, you're a genius

ReputationRep:
    Wow, you're a genius
    I wouldn't call myself a genius, because I'm fairly poor at subjects such as English - I just find that most of the sciences come naturally to me. I think you really have to excel at everything to be a genius, and an A* at GCSE doesn't even require exceptional talent.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by und)
    I wouldn't call myself a genius, because I'm fairly poor at subjects such as English - I just find that most of the sciences come naturally to me. I think you really have to excel at everything to be a genius, and an A* at GCSE doesn't even require exceptional talent.
    You get effortless A*s, tell me, what's your secret

ReputationRep:
    You get effortless A*s, tell me, what's your secret
    Very good teachers, I guess. And it's far from effortless. We put in a fair bit of work in class, and it pays off: we don't need to do tons of revision to cover missing gaps in our knowledge. In other words, I don't have a secret .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by und)
    Very good teachers, I guess. And it's far from effortless. We put in a fair bit of work in class, and it pays off: we don't need to do tons of revision to cover missing gaps in our knowledge. In other words, I don't have a secret .
    Ah, concentrating in class.
    Wish I did that early on.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: April 13, 2011
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.