Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

I'm in my last year of my English degree and in one of my classes i have the option of re-creating a medieval play instead of doing an essay. I gathered some friends together and we are performing 'The Fall of Lucifer' (i get to play God ) I had to translate the play but we are really enjoying it.

I was wondering what other people thought of Medieval drama, and if many have came across it,whether it be folk drama or not. It's just this era used to be called in universities 'Drama before Shakespeare', which is just laughable and cruel. I do love Shakespeare a lot and have been to many performances, but there's just this horrible notion that drama before it in England was primitive and unsophisticated.

So have many encountered it? Even in studies, like the Chester/York cycles etc? And what is your opinion of it?

ReputationRep:
    Last year (I'm doing an English degree too), I studied medieval drama, and we put on a production of Everyman at the end for a bit of fun. I played 'Beauty' - I'm not sure if that's a compliment or not.

I agree that medieval drama can actually be very sophisticated, and people shouldn't write it off. There is a tendency to think that English drama began in the Renaissance, which is wrong, and it's definitely a good thing that people are studying drama of the period.

Personally, though, I hate medieval drama.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by geetar)
    Last year (I'm doing an English degree too), I studied medieval drama, and we put on a production of Everyman at the end for a bit of fun. I played 'Beauty' - I'm not sure if that's a compliment or not.

I agree that medieval drama can actually be very sophisticated, and people shouldn't write it off. There is a tendency to think that English drama began in the Renaissance, which is wrong, and it's definitely a good thing that people are studying drama of the period.

Personally, though, I hate medieval drama.
    Everyman is a great play, we were going to do that, Croxton Play of the Sacrament or The Fall of Lucifer.

I'm sorry to hear you dislike it, but at least you got to experience it .

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.