Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently on anti-histamines to help treat my eczema.

However I'm still getting outbursts, could caffeine intake be linked to my problem?

Cheers.

ReputationRep:
    i've not ever heard of caffeine being linked to eczema. Do you know what sets you off, at all? If you seriously think it may be caffeine, it may be worth trying to cut it out of your diet for a week or so and see if you see any results.

What are you using on it atm?

ReputationRep:
    Well this website says it can contribute, but I've done a PubMed search and it hasn't yielded anything. I don't think there's a link.

What anti-histamines are you on? I always thought anti-histamines were more effective for treating hay fever and such, rather than eczema..haven't you tried hydrocortisones?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by psychocustard)
    i've not ever heard of caffeine being linked to eczema. Do you know what sets you off, at all? If you seriously think it may be caffeine, it may be worth trying to cut it out of your diet for a week or so and see if you see any results.

What are you using on it atm?
    I'm not sure, could be the ointment that I'm using just now actually because it is rather fragrant (Burt's bees).

I'm on cetirizine and using ointments such as diprobase, dermol 200 and burt's bees.

Mind you the outbursts could be linked to many things i think, such as the stress of looming exams.

(Original post by Democrazy)
    I had a tube of steroid cream but can't find it :nopity:

ReputationRep:
    For what it's worth...caffeine makes no difference to mine. :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cowsforsale)
    I'm not sure, could be the ointment that I'm using just now actually because it is rather fragrant (Burt's bees).

I'm on cetirizine and using ointments such as diprobase, dermol 200 and burt's bees.

Mind you the outbursts could be linked to many things i think, such as the stress of looming exams.
    Yep, that could well be it. When you look at the ingredients, just it have 'perfume' in it? If so, that's probably what it is. Sticking to non-perfumed and coloured things are your best bet. Double Base moisturiser is pretty good, but there's also Waitrose's Baby Bottom Butter (sounds bizarre, but as it's oil based it gives you more of a barrier, and it's simply hydrogenated olive oil and vanilla extract, so it does smell good, but won't effect you so much). If you get the chance, try goats' milk soap - it's brilliant for eczema, though it is a little more expensive. Obviously you want the non-perfumed stuff.

Stress is a big factor, but there's not really much you can do, especially at exam time. Just remember to moisturise as much as possible!

ReputationRep:

However I'm still getting outbursts, could caffeine intake be linked to my problem?

Cheers.
    Hi, I also have eczema, pollen being my trigge,r and I take anti-histamines to help combat that and hayfever. However, I still do get bad outbreaks of eczema whilst on the anti-histamines, most likely when the pollen count is particularly high. I don't think anti-histamines completely treat eczema (or hayfever) I think they just make it less bad than it would be otherwise.

Do you know your triggers? You can find this out through a blood test. I had one when I was four and pollen was through the roof
    Triggers can be pollen, animal hair (we got rid of our cat), dust/dust mites (I now have wooden floor), stress and certain foods, although I have never heard of caffeine being one of these. Although, after doing a quick search on google, it seems to suggest there can be a link.

I'd try about 2 weeks without caffeine to see if it makes a difference. It won't be nice, particularly if you're used to having a lot of it but it'll be worth it if your eczema improves. I once had to go a month without milk and eggs to see if that was a trigger-disgusting:yucky:

ReputationRep:
    Yep, that could well be it. When you look at the ingredients, just it have 'perfume' in it? If so, that's probably what it is. Sticking to non-perfumed and coloured things are your best bet. Double Base moisturiser is pretty good, but there's also Waitrose's Baby Bottom Butter (sounds bizarre, but as it's oil based it gives you more of a barrier, and it's simply hydrogenated olive oil and vanilla extract, so it does smell good, but won't effect you so much). If you get the chance, try goats' milk soap - it's brilliant for eczema, though it is a little more expensive. Obviously you want the non-perfumed stuff.

Stress is a big factor, but there's not really much you can do, especially at exam time. Just remember to moisturise as much as possible!
    Where can i get these?

God i only bought this burts bees because it was meant to be 98% natural - it has rosemary and lavender oils thoug,h..

ReputationRep:

Oral antihistamines like cetirizine aren't effective against eczema iirc.

Dermol500 and diprobase are moisturisers but for something that will actually deal with the inflammed skin, itchiness and red patches you should really use a steroid cream.

ReputationRep:
    Where can i get these?

God i only bought this burts bees because it was meant to be 98% natural - it has rosemary and lavender oils thoug,h..
    The only place that sells 'natural' stuff that won't effect your eczema is Lush, or The Body Shop. For those, I'm recommending Dream Cream from Lush, and Hemp Hand Cream from TBS.

Double Base you can get in any pharmacy. It comes in a tube, or in a pump, and it's about £10 for the pump one. The BBB you'll get in Waitrose, in the baby section.

As for goat soap, you can get it at Crabtree and Evelyn (though this is the most expensive stuff I've seen!) or you can get it online. I got my first lot from Australia because my mum went out there for a vist, but there are places in Britain that also sell it, so it'll depend where you are in the country really.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Democracy)
    Oral antihistamines like cetirizine aren't effective against eczema iirc.

Dermol500 and diprobase are moisturisers but for something that will actually deal with the inflammed skin, itchiness and red patches you should really use a steroid cream.
    As useful as the steroid creams are, it's best not to use them too much or get used to them, as they'll just thin the skin and make it more susceptible to infections which my boyfriend gets a lot. It's more about finding the right products that will soothe it.

ReputationRep:
    As useful as the steroid creams are, it's best not to use them too much or get used to them, as they'll just thin the skin and make it more susceptible to infections which my boyfriend gets a lot. It's more about finding the right products that will soothe it.
    No, I realise that, but for dealing with flare ups it will actually do something other than simply moisturise the affected area.

ReputationRep:
    No, I realise that, but for dealing with flare ups it will actually do something other than simply moisturise the affected area.
    True. Sorry, didn't mean to jump down your throat or anything, but the amount of people I'd talk to at work about their child's eczema, and they didn't use anything but steroid creams... And it just wound me up >_<

ReputationRep:
    Use of steroid creams leads to the thining of the skin right?

The only place that sells 'natural' stuff that won't effect your eczema is Lush, or The Body Shop. For those, I'm recommending Dream Cream from Lush, and Hemp Hand Cream from TBS.

Double Base you can get in any pharmacy. It comes in a tube, or in a pump, and it's about £10 for the pump one. The BBB you'll get in Waitrose, in the baby section.

As for goat soap, you can get it at Crabtree and Evelyn (though this is the most expensive stuff I've seen!) or you can get it online. I got my first lot from Australia because my mum went out there for a vist, but there are places in Britain that also sell it, so it'll depend where you are in the country really.
    You're a star. I'll have a lookout for these. Will probably tap some steroid cream from my doctor first. :sad:

ReputationRep:
    From what I recall continuous use of strong steroid creams can lead to skin thinning especially if used on sensitive areas e.g. the face, eyelids, etc

But using a mild hydrocortisone (1%, 2.5%, etc) every now and again to deal with a flare up on your arms or neck or whatever shouldn't lead to those problems.

ReputationRep:

You're a star. I'll have a lookout for these. Will probably tap some steroid cream from my doctor first. :sad:
    If I were you, and if you want to, go to Lush and The Body Shop (or you could just talk to Lush on the phone!) and ask for samples of what's best for eczema. They're both really good for that If you want any more help, gimme a shout - my boyfriend's got dreadful eczema and I've worked for both Lush and TBS, so I'm pretty clued up on this stuff now!

ReputationRep:
    If you're not using it already, try and get some of the diprobase cream (not the ointment) from your doctor. It's the bog-standard cream doctors prescribe to most people suffering from eczema. It is mild, but if you use it as well as other creams it will help. It is also (for me at least) the most soothing cream and will really help moisturise your skin. I've been using it twice a day for my whole life and, in addition to other creams, has really helped me.

ReputationRep:

Cheers.
    if you want a natural remedy, i've heard toilet water is good for it!
    i've got a vivid memory of when i was around 9 years old and having to get some for my cousin who had it [eczema] pretty bad!

ReputationRep:
    Found my tube of Fucibet cream.

It's an absolute lifesaver :dance:!!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 13, 2011
Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.