Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Can i apply for a tuition fee loan and a maintenance grant?? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi

Right, so basically im applying for student finance now so that i can go to university this September.

I just need someone to answer one simple question for me -

Can i apply for a tuition fee loan and a maintenance grant ?

or is the maintenance grant an extra on top of a maintenance loan?

I dont particularly fancy applying for a tuition fee loan and maintenance grant, only to find out i've been put through for the maintenance loan instead or a voided maintenance grant. arghh

Please help me!!

ReputationRep:
    The maintenance loan is for just that, your maintenance, so it's separate from the tuition fee loan. If you're entitled to the maintenance grant then it may reduce your maintenance loan, but it won't affect your tuition fees. So you apply for all of them unless you have other sources of funding, eg your parents paying your fees for you etc.

Whether or not you get the grant depends on your parents income, but anybody can get the loans. At least that's how I remember it! also, if you do end up getting the grant then your uni may also have bursaries, which are worth checking out.

ReputationRep:
    Ok i think i get that!

Basically, i will be living at home and travelling in to university. So i wont need all three, the tuition fee loan, maintenance loan and the maintenance grant.

I hoped that i would be able to minimise my debt when i leave by only loaning tuition fees, and using the maintenance grant for travelling costs.

So do i have to apply for a maintenance loan, before i can apply for the maintenance grant? arghh so confusing! Thankyou though.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't do that, since I moved out for uni, but I'm pretty sure you don't have to take out a maintenance loan in order to get the grant. Just say you don't want it and then do all the means tested part for the maintenance grant. Maybe a quick call to student finance would give you a firmer answer. But I wouldn't worry about it too much. Enjoy uni in September.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Fill in for means tested support and at some point it asks you how much maintenance loan you want to apply for just enter 0. Enter the full fee amount against the tuition fee loan. If you apply for means tested support, you'll be automatically considered for the grant.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.