Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Is Nick Clegg really the most hated man in Britain? watch

• View Poll Results: Is Nick Clegg the most hated man in Britain?
    Results hidden until poll closes.

ReputationRep:
    Hated? For doing the responsible thing and going in to coalition to sort the country's massive problems out?

I'm no Lib Dem. In fact I'd rather cheese-grate my elbow than vote for them...

But credit where it's due. They were put in a position where they had to do what's right for the country and they did, even though it means they're going to be totally annhilated at the next election.

ReputationRep:
    Not most hated, no.

But I'm sure he has lost a lot of supporters.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hopple)
    Are you stupid?
    I wanted to know what students specifically thought about this issue. I actually went on a student protest (On my birthday...) and the most recent March 26th TUC one. TBH... I think the guy is an idiot. (Not an intellectual one but an 'are you blind?' one)

ReputationRep:
    I voted Lib Dem, but I'm not particularly bothered by him not following through on his promises (not that I really knew what most of them were anyway). I don't really expect any politician to actually do what they say when they get into power and I didn't have any reason to expect the Lib Dems to be any different.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SaysWho?)
    I totally agree. As a matter of fact, I think a good lot of MPs need out and I totally disagree with an unelected house of lords.
    Why? Having an unelected second chamber allows it to be comprised of members in full time work and they are therefore experts in certain areas and representative of many industries, unlike MPs. Many Lords provide invaluable expertise, for instance Lord Ramsbotham on prisons and Lord Browne on business, but wouldn't stand to be elected (most wouldn't be able to, as they work full time). An elected House of Lords would simply either mirror the commons or cause gridlock, depending on the timing of the elections. It's not like the unelected Lords actually restrict the power of the elected Commons anyway; owing to the Salisbury Convention and Parliament Acts they have almost no power to overrule the other chamber but they do provide expertise and review policy rather well.

I do agree with removing all remaining hereditary peers, though.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by yawn)
    Both Tories and Lib Dems are hated as much as each other, and that hatred is spreading amongst the populace day-by-day.

Both parties have instigated policies that weren't in their manifestoes and both party leaders lied during their election broadcasts. Additionally, the whole bunch appear to be totally inept at governing. So many bad decisions, u-turns, 'pauses' and re-writing of proposals.

Nick Clegg is not alone in being a target for disdain by the electorate, and I think he should feel some sense of reassurance that we consider them all second-rate.
    So why have the opinion polls barely changed? Bar the Lib Dems losing points nothing has changed more than to be expected

ReputationRep:
    I hate Ed Balls the most.

(Original post by Aj12)
    So why have the opinion polls barely changed? Bar the Lib Dems losing points nothing has changed more than to be expected
    Because the polls are commissioned by newspapers who affiliate themselves with a particular party, and the questions are asked of their readership?

The results will be predictable, yes?

ReputationRep:
    Personally, I feel sorry for him because he obviously didn't aim to be. The coalition is probably the BIGGEST mistake he has ever made and will all be in vein if we don't get AV. I want to know opinions on a few questions... I'm interested.
    Why is it that people are hating more on the Lib Dems than they are on the Tories? Because they are the same old Conservative Thatcherists?
    Has Nick Clegg sold out on his party's ideals for power?
    And why are the students so angry with him for doing so?
    The coalition certainly isn't a mistake from a Lib Dem perspective: rather than having a Conservative government which has to pander to its right-wing elements, we have a Liberal Conservative government, and some Lib Dem policies are actually getting put in place. For Nick Clegg personally, he's the Deputy Prime Minister. Labour ****ged him off and many people suggested voting for his party was a wasted vote: now he's standing at the dispatch box, effectively running the country when Cameron's away.

Some people think he lied about his policies. The problem isn't so much what he's doing now, but what he said before the election. Basically, the Lib Dems have always presented a 'dream' manifesto, with little bearing on reality. They shouldn't have.

Given the outcome of the election, this was by far the best possible outcome for Lib Dem voters.

ReputationRep:
    I think the key point is that the hate for him is so apparent because the course of action he's taken is not what people expected from the lib dems.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by meenu89)
    That man is an absolute cretin!

ReputationRep:
    Quite possibly, if people knew what the Lib Dems were going to end up doing, how many would have voted Labour? I think the Lib Dems can kiss goodbye to their election hopes for the next couple of decades. They alienated the worst portion of voters, young ones.

I would think Sir Alex Ferguson comes pretty close though, I love him!

ReputationRep:
    Well he has betrayed and completely alienated his voter base. I don't see him taking the Lib Dems into the next election, if they've any sense they will vote in a new leader and wipe the slate clean.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yawn)
    Because the polls are commissioned by newspapers who affiliate themselves with a particular party, and the questions are asked of their readership?

The results will be predictable, yes?
    Wrong

The newspapers ask research companies to conduct the polls on their behalf. They ask a broad spectrum of people across the country and if you look at the polls at the time of the election you'd see they were pretty accurate.

Most also do political polling on behalf of many other organisations such as YouGov who do their polling for The Sun and The Sunday Times also do polls on behalf of the unions.

ICM aslo had the tories ahead in their most recent poll for the Guardian which isn't exactly a tory loving newspaper and neither are their readers.

Your belief that a poll is bound to show one thing just because of the newspaper it was done for is misguided and ignorant.

ReputationRep:
    He just wanted some power hence why he decided to team up with Cameron, being used as a scapegoat by Cameron that evil guy.

ReputationRep:
    Personally, I feel sorry for him because he obviously didn't aim to be. The coalition is probably the BIGGEST mistake he has ever made and will all be in vein if we don't get AV. I want to know opinions on a few questions... I'm interested.
    Why is it that people are hating more on the Lib Dems than they are on the Tories? Because they are the same old Conservative Thatcherists?
    Has Nick Clegg sold out on his party's ideals for power?
    And why are the students so angry with him for doing so?

What do you think?

(I also apologise that you can't see the results of the poll. I'm idiotic and didn't look at what I was doing...)
    Simple, its to do with different levels of expectations placed on both parties. With the Conservatives, those who voted for them knew to quite a large extent what they're in for (well maybe not the NHS reforms ). On the other hand, the Lib Dems were built up as 'good guys' of politics, that they were never going to lie to us, that they would go through hell to oppose any increase in tuition fees. With such high hopes from Lib Dem voters and the rest of the population in general, its no wonder why its all gone wrong for the clegg meister.

ReputationRep:
    Yes and he wants us to feel sorry for him by mentioning that he cries to sad music. :rolleyes:
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    No, but he is the most hated Liberal Democrat I'd imagine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pinball_heart)
    I'm sure people hate Nick Griffin more...
    my thoughts exactly!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by meenu89)
    Why?

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.