The Student Room Group

Ban on gay men donating blood to be lifted

Scroll to see replies

Original post by nexttime
Because gay people are more likely to have HIV! How many times does it have to be said?

The other example is an extreme one where the risk is clearly minimal, but asking people specifics about their sexual life is not going to get honest answers and is not worth it

It seems strange to do the blanket ban asking men if they have had any contact with men, and asking women if they have had contact with men who have had contact with men... but they don't screen out promiscuous people versus those who have sex with few people.
Original post by Annie72
Its highly unlikely that you would become HIV positive from a blood transfusion.The blood donated is tested before its given to the recipient, if something is found in the blood after testing the donor is contacted and the blood is destroyed.I'm a regular blood donor and I know full well that my donation is checked before someone gets it.

It can still happen though, surely?

99.9% means that one in every one thousand readings will be incorrect.

I don't like them odds!

Original post by Ataloss
Why would your life be "destroyed" if you were unfortunate enough to get HIV. HIV is a condition with excellent treatments and if caught in the early stages people have a virtually normal life expectancy.

Of course, it is has other consequences but none that should "destroy" someones life. HIV is no longer a "death sentence" and such stigma and beliefs are misplaced.

Because HIV would progress to AIDS

Not only would that dramatically lower my life expectancy

I wouldn't be able to have a normal life, would I?

No wife, no kids, no sex, poor immune function etc
Original post by Beska
Well, they can't - that's the problem. Just today I heard an advert on the radio saying "blood stocks in your area are low - phone this number to donate now - if you don't you are killing a person blah blah emotional blackmail" so obviously there is a blood shortage. As I say, blanket bans need to be lifted and a good risk/benefit ratio needs to be found.

Those "your area is low" ads are there to err on the side of safety and keep blood donation on people's minds, it's been a long time since blood levels have been anywhere near dangerously low. The NBS has a reserve stock for several days, and also has records of donor's blood types, so if for example O is low the NBS will send letters out to regular donors with blood type O asking if they'd like to donate. There are also a panel of rare donors which it can call on if rare blood is lacking (these donors are often advised not to donate unless asked to do so). If a hospital is low on blood in an emergency it can call its local blood centre for an emergency delivery, but usually the routine deliveries cover supply (emergency deliveries are charged extra, so hospitals are sensible enough to ensure they have enough blood in stock).

The only time low supplies are really an issue is early January, since most people don't think about donation over the festive period. Blood supply hasn't reached critical (i.e. levels that would affect hospital practice) for many years.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 83
Original post by lightburns
It seems strange to do the blanket ban asking men if they have had any contact with men, and asking women if they have had contact with men who have had contact with men... but they don't screen out promiscuous people versus those who have sex with few people.

Yeah they could i guess - you can guarantee that someone has ran the data somewhere and found it to not be worth it though.
Still homophobic. A woman can have unprotected sex with a man who is HIV positive, and she just has to wait a year before donating blood. Therefore the 10 year period cannot be justified by a delay in HIV showing up in blood tests.

Having unprotected heterosexual sex with someone who has HIV positive is riskier than having protected oral sex with a man.
Reply 85
Original post by ilickbatteries

With good compliance with treatment and treated early HIV rarely progresses to AIDS.

Life expectancy in people as described above is only slightly shorter than people without HIV.

Of course there would be some lifestyle changes but none of the things you describe would be impossible.

Sadly this ignorance regarding HIV is widespread.
Reply 86
Original post by Beska
Well, they can't - that's the problem. Just today I heard an advert on the radio saying "blood stocks in your area are low - phone this number to donate now - if you don't you are killing a person blah blah emotional blackmail" so obviously there is a blood shortage. As I say, blanket bans need to be lifted and a good risk/benefit ratio needs to be found.

One possibility that is more of a moral than statistical question - we could make like the US and pay people to give blood. I think the answer to that though is that for now there is no need.

I was on a small island recently (population 10,000) and i always found it odd when there would be announcements over the radio saying "there has been a casualty at the hospital - can anyone with type O- blood please come to the Basseterre immediatelyl"! They did have stocks but in a community so small all it takes is a couple of casualties with the same blood type and they are in dire need!
Reply 87
how can you prove they have not had sex for 10 years? they could have had it yesterday
Original post by Ataloss
With good compliance with treatment and treated early HIV rarely progresses to AIDS.

Life expectancy in people as described above is only slightly shorter than people without HIV.

Of course there would be some lifestyle changes but none of the things you describe would be impossible.

Sadly this ignorance regarding HIV is widespread.

I don't think many women would be willing to have children to a man with HIV like
It can still happen though, surely?

99.9% means that one in every one thousand readings will be incorrect.

I don't like them odds!

Nothing in life is risk free or guaranteed - there is no guarantee that the food you eat won't give you food poisoning and kill you, or a guarantee that some idiot in a car won't run you over tomorrow morning.

There is always going to be a minute chance that something goes wrong during a blood transfusion, just like any other medical procedure.
Reply 90
I don't think many women would be willing to have children to a man with HIV like

There are assisted conception techniques which make it possible.
Original post by Helenia
There are assisted conception techniques which make it possible.

Aye, but c'mon man, who wants to mess around with that, seriously?

My point is, that contracting HIV would destroy my life.

Therefore, I would rather high-risk groups did not donate blood.

If gay men are a high risk group for passing on HIV, unless they have an extremely rare in demand blood type, it's probably safer if they don't give blood.
i never knew this ban existed :/
Its a bit of a stupid ban aswel, since everyone needs to have their blood checked first before donating anyway so they will always know if someone has hiv or not.
Reply 93
Aye, but c'mon man, who wants to mess around with that, seriously?

My point is, that contracting HIV would destroy my life.

Therefore, I would rather high-risk groups did not donate blood.

If gay men are a high risk group for passing on HIV, unless they have an extremely rare in demand blood type, it's probably safer if they don't give blood.

Also, the NHS doesn't exactly want to be giving out expensive HIV drugs to people they don't need to! There are plenty of reasons why the system is as it is.
Reply 94
Original post by neonlights
i never knew this ban existed :/
Its a bit of a stupid ban aswel, since everyone needs to have their blood checked first before donating anyway so they will always know if someone has hiv or not.

:facepalm:

This has been covered multiple times in this thread already.
Why don't they also ban chavs? They have higher than normal rates of HIV.
Original post by Helenia
:facepalm:

This has been covered multiple times in this thread already.

i realized afterwards D: silly me.
Original post by Steevee
Meh. I think the ban itself is unfair. There is a small risk of such a disease, but this is far outweighed by the amount of good blood can give.

Perhaps if we had free, and regular HIV screening? I am under the impression it's a relativley cheap process, judging by the frequency with which it's carried out in impoverished Africa.

Yeah but I doubt you'd be happy if you had a blood transfusion, only to find out that you now have HIV, because a homosexual man donated his blood.
Reply 98
:s-smilie: Seems a bit strange to me. Are people that have been on holiday to parts of Africa or the West Indies banned from giving blood for the next 10 years too. What about men with a mail order bride from Thailand?
I don't know why this is an issue at all.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending