Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Fees rising, easier or harder admission? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    What do you think, personally i feel that the number of applicants will drop so it will become easier to get in

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stjohnpeters)
    What do you think, personally i feel that the number of applicants will drop so it will become easier to get in
    The number of people applying for Russell group universities will not drop.

ReputationRep:
    Inelastic demand for the top courses.

More elastic demand for ****y courses.

Highly elastic for complete a complete doss.

ReputationRep:
    Serious courses will remain just as competitive, but there will probably be less people applying for Golf Management.
    Well, actually, if you are applying for Golf Management you probably aren't clever enough to realise that "More debt" is a bad thing... :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by turn and fall)

Yeah that's what I was trying to say, I just didn't want to offend anyone.

ReputationRep:
    The number of applicants applying for difficult courses like Law, Medicine, Dentistry etc. will probably not drop

Unlucky me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ilovedubstep)
    The number of people applying to many Russell Group institutions has dropped this year.

ReputationRep:
    stats please

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abassk)
    stats please

Agreed

ReputationRep:
    stats please
    Sheffield down 15.9%, Edinburgh down 15.3%, Warwick down 8.9%, LSE 8.7% Glasgow 7.3%, Cardiff 5.8%, Southampton 4.1%, Cambridge 3.4%, Queen's 2.7%, Bristol 0.7%, Birmingham 0.3%, Leeds 0.2%, Imperial had 5 fewer applicants as at 15th January

The biggest growth was in "special case" institutions, Buckingham, Highlands & Islands and Birkbeck. Of the conventional universities, the largest growth was at Thames Valley with 34.5%. Biggest Russell Group growth was Liverpool with 12%

http://www.ucas.com/about_us/stat_se...digest/15jan11

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by turn and fall)

(Original post by Fallen)
    Serious courses will remain just as competitive, but there will probably be less people applying for Golf Management.
    Well, actually, if you are applying for Golf Management you probably aren't clever enough to realise that "More debt" is a bad thing... :rolleyes:
    Yeah that's what I was trying to say, I just didn't want to offend anyone.
    stats please
    Agreed
    I have provided statistics as you requested and yet the only comment has been one negative reputation.

ReputationRep:
    Well thats just silly because they are already dropping.

And yes, it will drop, it's silly to think no1 one person will rec-consider because of it. Obviously the effect will be larger the further down the leage tables, just as a point of reference, you go.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nulli tertius)
    I have provided statistics as you requested and yet the only comment has been one negative reputation.
    It's unfortunate that you get those odd idiots who don't make decisions logically.

+ve given for actually coming out with the statistics.

ReputationRep:
    Personally I know quite a few people who are now "considering" going to university rather than definitely going.

£9,000 a year is a lot -- even if the payback scheme isn't all that bad. At least (to a certain extent) people at uni will really be sure about what course they're doing and that they're at the right place. Not to mention I'm sure they'll want to work harder knowing they've got a greater debt to pay off. I know so many people who have gone to uni just for the sake of going to uni. They don't care about getting good grades or trying to get work experience/internships on the side. As long as they pass, life is good. It just isn't worth it sometimes.

ReputationRep:
    The reason the fees are going up is that there are far too many students ... the taxpayer is also paying for thousands of EU students many of whom will never pay back the money anyway ....... hopefully the new fees will get rid of all the 'degree innit' students and the standards will rise ...good for everyone !

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kibera)
    The reason the fees are going up is that there are far too many students ... the taxpayer is also paying for thousands of EU students many of whom will never pay back the money anyway ....... hopefully the new fees will get rid of all the 'degree innit' students and the standards will rise ...good for everyone !
    Just under 1 in 20 full-time undergraduates are EU students. About 1 in 60 British students does their undergraduate degree in the EU, mostly free of charge and wholly at the foreign government's expense.

ReputationRep:
    Sheffield down 15.9%, Edinburgh down 15.3%, Warwick down 8.9%, LSE 8.7% Glasgow 7.3%, Cardiff 5.8%, Southampton 4.1%, Cambridge 3.4%, Queen's 2.7%, Bristol 0.7%, Birmingham 0.3%, Leeds 0.2%, Imperial had 5 fewer applicants as at 15th January

The biggest growth was in "special case" institutions, Buckingham, Highlands & Islands and Birkbeck. Of the conventional universities, the largest growth was at Thames Valley with 34.5%. Biggest Russell Group growth was Liverpool with 12%

http://www.ucas.com/about_us/stat_se...digest/15jan11

I'm no expert, but my guess is that applications to the more competitive universities would have dropped this year because people were more cautious about where they applied and didn't want to risk not getting offers and having to re-apply next year, with the increased fees.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by it'smelaura)
    I'm no expert, but my guess is that applications to the more competitive universities would have dropped this year because people were more cautious about where they applied and didn't want to risk not getting offers and having to re-apply next year, with the increased fees.
    You may be right.

However, with one or two exceptions, Sheffield being the obvious one, these are not typically third, fourth or fifth choice places where you might have expected more caution to be shown.

I can offer two other related guesses. The first is that with increased accessibility to admissions statistics, unrealistic applications to top ranked institutions have been deterred. Secondly, the A*grade has deterred applications from students who are not expected to achieve them. Whilst Cambridge's applications have fallen, Oxford's has risen slightly.

ReputationRep:
    You may be right.

However, with one or two exceptions, Sheffield being the obvious one, these are not typically third, fourth or fifth choice places where you might have expected more caution to be shown.

I can offer two other related guesses. The first is that with increased accessibility to admissions statistics, unrealistic applications to top ranked institutions have been deterred. Secondly, the A*grade has deterred applications from students who are not expected to achieve them. Whilst Cambridge's applications have fallen, Oxford's has risen slightly.
    Given that you have already come up with 2 very reasonable other explanations here off the top of your head, I would be very wary in assuming that a drop in the institutions named is the start of a larger trend.

Perhaps it is, but this year is completely different to the coming years because fees have not already risen. Again, maybe it is the start of a trend, but 1 years statistics (especially when this is a near-unique year) are nothing to base a trend off of.

Admittedly, my opinion was based off nothing more than common sense (which is frequently wrong) and witchdoctory, so I am not really doing any better.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fallen)
    Given that you have already come up with 2 very reasonable other explanations here off the top of your head, I would be very wary in assuming that a drop in the institutions named is the start of a larger trend.

Perhaps it is, but this year is completely different to the coming years because fees have not already risen. Again, maybe it is the start of a trend, but 1 years statistics (especially when this is a near-unique year) are nothing to base a trend off of.

Admittedly, my opinion was based off nothing more than common sense (which is frequently wrong) and witchdoctory, so I am not really doing any better.
    I entirely agree.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.