Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey! So, when school reopens we're going to be studying space or astronomy to be more particular. Usually, my teacher teaches us everything we need to know for the curriculum and then has discussions with us about that certain topic we're studying! Therefore, I was wondering if you guys could help me out? I need a variety of rather smart (i know all the curriculum and the birth of universe and stuff already, that's why) questions to ask him? Ones which will indeed open up a discussion.
    I'm 13 by the way - studying at KS3! But I enjoy a higher level too; I love science. Just letting you know, in case it helps with thinking of questions!

Thanks a lot!

Misaki.

ReputationRep:
    Anybody?

ReputationRep:
    How do we know that the universe is accelerating? And if it started from one point and expanded, where is the centre of the universe?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Ask about the supposed acceleration in cosmic expansion and how it can be explained
    Or the long term future of the universe - heat death vs big rip vs big crunch/bounce (cyclic model)

Those are more cosmology than space science/astronomy, but very interesting all the same.

Something more relevant perhaps...ask to talk about gravitational lensing (a really nice feature of general relativity which destroyed newtonian mechanics as a model to describe the universe as a whole)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by soup)
    How do we know that the universe is accelerating? And if it started from one point and expanded, where is the centre of the universe?
    Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Manitude)
    Ask about the supposed acceleration in cosmic expansion and how it can be explained
    Or the long term future of the universe - heat death vs big rip vs big crunch/bounce (cyclic model)

Those are more cosmology than space science/astronomy, but very interesting all the same.

Something more relevant perhaps...ask to talk about gravitational lensing (a really nice feature of general relativity which destroyed newtonian mechanics as a model to describe the universe as a whole)
    Thanks - that sounds interesting!

ReputationRep:
    need more suggestions!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: April 13, 2011

University open days

• University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • University of Sheffield
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.