Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Basically, I just found out my grade 3 piano exam result, I got a high pass and was three marks off of a merit, I have never achieved anything below a merit before, and I have my Grade 5 singing.
    I feel so ashamed and cross with myself, as the exam went terribly and I wish that I could do it again. it's made worse by the fact that for my grade two i got a distinction, and worked just as hard.
    So I'm currently feeling really down and depressed, am I being silly? is a high pass ok? thanks x

ReputationRep:
    You passed? Of course it's okay.

Having said that, I personally felt like an idiot after getting an B in Chemistry AS last year. I'd never got anything under an A in my life until then.

ReputationRep:
    As long as you get a good grade at grade 4 is shouldn't matter.

ReputationRep:
    You do realise you've just failed at life. :eyebrow:

Spoiler:
    Show
    don't be silly OP, you have achieved an amazing result and you should be proud of yourself! You are freakishly amazing at Piano, I almost think you're a troll for worrying! Chill, treat yourself to a beer and relax

ReputationRep:
    A High Pass is great lass! It's wonderful that you set such high standards for yourself but 3 marks off a merit is basically a merit in my book. Music exams are like English exams and not Maths exams in that there isnt a quantifiable right and wrong answer.
    Well done, no need to be ashamed, let it galvanise you to get an even better mark in your grade 4 exam!
    Regards,
    Samuel.

ReputationRep:
    I was bloody ecstatic to have passed my Grade 8 piano. You aren't always going to be perfect at things, especially when you get older. Just be pleased to have passed, they don't have to pass everyone.

Well done on passing by the way

ReputationRep:
    A high pass is ok. You are overreacting.

That said, if you want to get better marks... then yeah, work harder. Don't let it upset you, just think about what you can do to improve your piano playing. Grade 3 means something to you now, yeah, of course, but if you worked up to get distinction in Grade 8, who cares? Or you know, whatever's a more reasonable target for you.

And not to be mean, but someone said 3 marks off a merit is practically a merit, I'm sorry but it's not, at least in your examiner's eyes. Your examiner saw fit to not grant you the 3 more marks to make the merit mark. Just like if you'd got 3 marks off a pass, you would have failed the exam. You felt like the exam went badly, and you got that score -- maybe that should be your pick-me-up? If doing badly = a high pass, you know that you've got it in you. Whether it was exam nerves or whatever, work on it, and keep going.

ReputationRep:
    If it makes you feel any better I have failed more music grades than I have passed

5 exams and only got grade 2 :P

Congrats though, you did really well

Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.