Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm also slightly perplexed regarding accommodation. I have a good idea of where to go but I can't see how to apply. I saw a link a while back which redirected me to a page which stated that applications would begin towards the end of April. Earlier this week I noticed that, when redirected, I had the option to check the status of something or other regarding accommodation - but it said I wasn't eligible.
    I've firmed my original unconditional for Computer Arts and my only guess is that they haven't responded with a final offer and thus I cannot respond with a final decision - meaning I can't apply for accommodation. UCAS says congratulations on my place and so on, but Abertay's OASIS application tracking form only says initial offer: U (Unconditional) and initial response: F (Firm), leaving the final decision and final response cells blank as previously noted.

As of now, the link to applying for accommodation has completely disappeared for me. Is there something else I need to be doing?

Cheers in advance!

ReputationRep:
    For accommodation you may have to contact the places directly(probably try googling) unless you have to just ring and ask if you can confirm a place there and then pay deposit once results come through. Il give you a quick run down of accomadation available i know of:
    Meadowside, is right along from the university, all of the rooms are en suites and because your near the uni your very central in the city, I believe the cost to be around £400 a month. The flats are shared between 9 bedrooms with a shared living/kitchen area.
    Erm then there is victoria chambers which is opposite meadowside. Sorry but i dont know much about that.
    Then there Opal, the fort knox of dundee. There's plenty of security and the place looks modern. Most rooms are en suite tho a lot of house parties go on around there and the walls are very thin. However it does offer the fact its high security, modern living and quite central, just a 5 min walk if that to uni.
    Then theres the Old Mill and Keiller Court. These are very expensive but your sharing with 3 or 4 people. You have a shared bathroom and kitchen/living room and the internet is appalling. Keiller court is very upmarket. You get two bathrooms between 5 residence and a large kitchen with fully furnished living room with wall mounted tele but it costs about £512 a month.
    Then there's The Hub, loadsa room at this place, think about 6 people per flat, not sure on cost.
    Alloway is quite a way and not brilliant if you want some nights out as its a fair 25-35 minute walk back and even longer if your at some of the clubs towards Dundee union. I have never visisted these but supposebly theres a few house parties there cos of the distance but im sure some buses run from alloway to some of the clubs on nights. I personally would grab something more central so you could walk around city centre and casually walk to uni or library when needed.

I wish i could help more but i have not stayed in halls. This is just my experience from visiting friends at their accommodation.

As for the math. Dont worry. I too am terrible at maths, failed it 4 times at A level so i had the same worry. There is very little maths in the course, maybe a few calculations in programming now and again but anything like that the lecturers would help out. I have no experience of programming in the past but i have passed it this year.

Anything iv missed?

Mike

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by levela13)
    o, hello!

I just firmed my GDPM, and just can't wait to get started! Yet, I'd have some questions about the course and accomodation.

Actually I don't really have the slightest idea which residence I should choose..:confused:

I've read the whole topic, some say that Alloway is the best for freshers (I'm 19), some say that Opal is the best, etc.. I actually don't really mind the distance between the school and Alloway, because currently I have to travel 'bout an hour every morning to get to school, so I got used to it. I'd appreciate any infos/thought about accomodation!

About the course: is it math heavy? Math is my weak point, so I'm afraid of it. I know the basics of programming (c# mainly), and haven't got problems with it at all.

Thanks!
    Hey! I'm doing GDPM as well this year, nice to see another person on here doing the same

Luckily for you (and me) the course doesn't seem to be too math heavy, if it was i think i would have failed before i even started

ReputationRep:
    As far as I've heard Oasis won't update the Final Decision and Response fields for someone who got an Unconditional straight away - only people who were initially Conditional.

If applying for Abertay Halls you should be able to access the application from the 'Student View' section of Oasis - there is an Accommodation section in bottom right and the correct link reads "Accommodation - Application & Offer"

If you cannot see that link, I'd recommend getting in touch with the Accommodation Office directly:
    Contact Details
    Residences Office
    Room 3018D
    Level 3, Old College
    University of Abertay Dundee
    Bell Street
    Dundee
    DD1 1HG

Telephone number: +44(0)1382 308059
    Fax number: +44(0)1382 308088
    E-mail: [email protected]
    Twitter: http://twitter.com/Abertayaccomm

You can find basic information on all Abertay Halls here: http://www.abertay.ac.uk/studying/re...-13/locations/
    including Rent Costs and Number of Students per flat, any more questions feel free to ask

Finally, as miciasger said GDPM really isn't that maths intensive as it is a design course not a programming course, for the same reason you should be easily get past the programming in first couple of years, I would absolutely recommend you join the Games Development Society on arrival though, that way you'll know a few Programmers in case you get stuck, might even meet me

ReputationRep:
    Thanks a lot, Mike, Brizee! You really helped a lot! :> Another question would be about local jobs. As you may have noticed, I'm from Hungary, and I'm sure that I'll need to get a job to be able to pay my living costs, etc. This is not a problem at all, I'm just wondering how hard is it to get one, and where I could start.

Thanks again, guys! :]

ReputationRep:
    Thanks a lot, Mike, Brizee! You really helped a lot! :> Another question would be about local jobs. As you may have noticed, I'm from Hungary, and I'm sure that I'll need to get a job to be able to pay my living costs, etc. This is not a problem at all, I'm just wondering how hard is it to get one, and where I could start.

Probably the best place to start would be here. you mihgt get a job in Students Union but my assumption is that they are hiring at the end of the academic year.
    Nevertheless, check out the link.

ReputationRep:

Getting a job in Dundee is a pain, especially if you are an international student. Best you can hope for is working at night clubs.

ReputationRep:
    Yep, THESHade's right - I know the lass that updates Facebook, Twitter and the part-time jobs board, she's good at seeking out part-time jobs across town.

The Union is a great place to work (as a current employee), they're looking to start accepting applications early in Summer but last year interviews weren't until August and you won't start until Freshers Week - that said you will be working non-stop in Freshers Week - so you'll wanna consider whether you're ok without not getting to go out for it at all (I had 1 night off).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by miciasger)
    For accommodation you may have to contact the places directly(probably try googling) unless you have to just ring and ask if you can confirm a place there and then pay deposit once results come through. Il give you a quick run down of accomadation available i know of:
    Meadowside, is right along from the university, all of the rooms are en suites and because your near the uni your very central in the city, I believe the cost to be around £400 a month. The flats are shared between 9 bedrooms with a shared living/kitchen area.
    Erm then there is victoria chambers which is opposite meadowside. Sorry but i dont know much about that.
    Then there Opal, the fort knox of dundee. There's plenty of security and the place looks modern. Most rooms are en suite tho a lot of house parties go on around there and the walls are very thin. However it does offer the fact its high security, modern living and quite central, just a 5 min walk if that to uni.
    Then theres the Old Mill and Keiller Court. These are very expensive but your sharing with 3 or 4 people. You have a shared bathroom and kitchen/living room and the internet is appalling. Keiller court is very upmarket. You get two bathrooms between 5 residence and a large kitchen with fully furnished living room with wall mounted tele but it costs about £512 a month.
    Then there's The Hub, loadsa room at this place, think about 6 people per flat, not sure on cost.
    Alloway is quite a way and not brilliant if you want some nights out as its a fair 25-35 minute walk back and even longer if your at some of the clubs towards Dundee union. I have never visisted these but supposebly theres a few house parties there cos of the distance but im sure some buses run from alloway to some of the clubs on nights. I personally would grab something more central so you could walk around city centre and casually walk to uni or library when needed.

I wish i could help more but i have not stayed in halls. This is just my experience from visiting friends at their accommodation.

As for the math. Dont worry. I too am terrible at maths, failed it 4 times at A level so i had the same worry. There is very little maths in the course, maybe a few calculations in programming now and again but anything like that the lecturers would help out. I have no experience of programming in the past but i have passed it this year.

Anything iv missed?

Mike
    I knew that username was familar haha, hey Mike! Grats on passing programming ive still yet to do it 3: its robert btw!

ReputationRep:
    Haha, hey Robert, how did you get on with the coursework?

ReputationRep:
    Has everyone else gotten the registration pack from abertay? just wondering as it asks that you load a photo of yourself to oasis for your id card. had a look on oasis but can't find anything that mentions the id card. so am i to early to load or just looking in the wrong place.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mochrie_Rules)
    Has everyone else gotten the registration pack from abertay? just wondering as it asks that you load a photo of yourself to oasis for your id card. had a look on oasis but can't find anything that mentions the id card. so am i to early to load or just looking in the wrong place.

Thanks
    I was meaning to ask them if I can just bring physical photo in September as that would prob. be easier.

ReputationRep:
    i dont think you can as the card is made so you can get into the university. i dont think they let you in without it as they check everyone when they enter the buildings.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mochrie_Rules)
    i dont think you can as the card is made so you can get into the university. i dont think they let you in without it as they check everyone when they enter the buildings.
    Weeell... I was lurking around un-checked for 2 days when I was visiting Dundee ...
    NEvertheless, I stumbled upon the site where you upload it
    Cheers

ReputationRep:
    oh well at rgu they checked you evertime you entered anyway, thanks

ReputationRep:
    Nah, they don't check everyone in and technically you can bring a picture with you in September however you won't get it for probably up to a month after starting. An Abertay Student Card carries the PASS Hologram making it a legal form of ID for purchasing Alcohol, however this means they can't just print them on campus.

Also Abertay Union is a Private Members Club restricted to Abertay Students - so without a valid student ID you won't be able to get in there in the Evenings - incl. the latter half of Freshers Week.

ReputationRep:
    I just sent them a recent photo via post using their letter form.
    When we'll receive our Student cards?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by isengard1)
    I just sent them a recent photo via post using their letter form.
    When we'll receive our Student cards?
    Usually mid-week on Freshers Week which is 9th-15th of Sept

ReputationRep:
    Make sure you submit the picture or they are going to take an awful webcam photo of you during registration and that one will stay on your card until the end of studies - I've made this mistake last year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by panda s)
    Make sure you submit the picture or they are going to take an awful webcam photo of you during registration and that one will stay on your card until the end of studies - I've made this mistake last year.
    I sent my photo via post with the form attached with the orientation pack. Is there a way to check they have received it?

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. University of Abertay Dundee
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 6 Oct '18
  2. University of Abertay Dundee
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.