Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Are women just looking for rich men? watch

ReputationRep:
    I've just read this article in the Daily Mail:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...b-partner.html

(No comments just criticising the Mail and not discussing the point please!)

The article says that women look for men with money or well paid jobs. It's always been obvious to me that women do look for money above everything else, blatantly obvious.
    But what I don't understand is why women won't admit it most of the time? Is it because they want to fool men into thinking they want them for their looks/sense of humour/personality/whatever, when in actual fact they are after his wallet?

ReputationRep:
    Daily Mail delivers again

also

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2011/...29_468x334.jpg

ReputationRep:
    You and I will be neg repped to oblivion my friend.

ReputationRep:
    Some women do, some women don't. People have different motivations in life. There's a lot of women who aren't particularly interested in money, and in my experience they are in the majority. Also I believe it is somewhat true that successful people will likely have quite attractive personalities.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by baffled_mathman)
    But what I don't understand is why women won't admit it most of the time? Is it because they want to fool men into thinking they want them for their looks/sense of humour/personality/whatever, when in actual fact they are after his wallet?
    Because it's not true for some women.

ReputationRep:
    With women getting better jobs, they are looking for their men to have a spending power to match, said the study.
    I guess, for this study, they're just looking for someone who earns a similar salary to them

ReputationRep:
    Women are gold-digging *****es.

This was figured out by Cave Men Millenniums ago.

The Cave Women would prostitute them selves to the guys with the biggest Caves and dead meat.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RoshniDiya)
    Because it's not true for some women.
    No, but is for most...

Is that the best you can offer?

ReputationRep:
    Well isn't that a nice generalisation..

I actually think money is one of the less important things in a relationship (Love comes first, and then bearing in mind you have some sort of cash income from a job or something.)

But saying that, look at Tiger Woods..

ReputationRep:
    some probably don't actually realise they're after the guys wallet till they sit back and think about it.... going after a guy with financial status is a psychological factor in a persons attractiveness and the likelihood of forming a relationship is increased when they display such features..

Dear me it just occurred to me how much i actually listened in my psychology lessons!!! haha

ReputationRep:
    Financial security is helpful. Gold diggers will date you for it. It's no guarantee of a woman. No matter how many drinks you buy her, if you have no charm she's still not gonna stay with you for long. It's an edge, though. A helpful edge.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iCrackMyselfUp)
    Women are gold-digging *****es.

This was figured out by Cave Men Millenniums ago.

The Cave Women would prostitute them selves to the guys with the biggest Caves and dead meat.
    That is so true! The caveman theory explains a lot about women and the men they go for!

ReputationRep:
    its the same as guys who say they don't care about how a girl looks

ReputationRep:
    *insert random daily mail meme*

Honestly why do people still take this tabloid seriously?

ReputationRep:
    Not true.

I'm broke as a joke and I get loads of womenz.

ReputationRep:
    After graduation women suddenly realize that money is actually pretty important... It's weird.

ReputationRep:
    No, but is for most...

Is that the best you can offer?
    Perhaps women look for a partner who is equally as motivated and ambitious as they are, thus having a high paid job is attractive as it shows these qualities in a person.

All i really wanted to point out is that what people think about women is a gross generalisation... there will always be the golddiggers, but equally there are those who look for a life partner and companion rather than money. To me, wealth is largely irrelevant. I suppose the qualities such as "ambition" are most attractive.

ReputationRep:
    women are what scientists call 'hypergamus' creatures; they see men who have a higher socio-economic status than them as more attractive. recently, there has been a growing phenomenon in which successful women find it hard to find partners because their standards are very high; they want to marry a man who earns more than them, has a more prestigious job and has a higher social background to them. women who find themselves in this situation are very unlucky indeed: they either have to lower their standards and marry a man poorer than them or stay single.

ReputationRep:
    I've just read this article in the Daily Mail:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...b-partner.html

(No comments just criticising the Mail and not discussing the point please!)

The article says that women look for men with money or well paid jobs. It's always been obvious to me that women do look for money above everything else, blatantly obvious.
    Different women like different things.

Whilst I don't go for money, I must admit, I'm attracted to an ambitious career minded man.

ReputationRep:
    In long term relationships:

There's a difference between being a gold digger and wanting to make babies with someone who can provide for the children and someone with a professional job is more likely to do that.

Obviously, there's more to relationships than money alone, but most women on some level might consider the man's finances if she considers having a family with him. That doesn't mean she is after a "rich" man to get his money, but one who can provide for the family.

It would be harder to raise children if there was not a steady income and women usually are expected to take on childcare when the children are young.

And as it has been pointed out, successful types may also have attractive personalities.

In short term relationships:

It will matter less if no children are involved

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 13, 2011
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.