Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    How are you lot tackling procrastination/lack of motivation?

ReputationRep:
    I actually quite enjoy revising maths, physics, chem and computing. I procrastinate studying english a lot (I mean I could finally be assed to do a close reading after a week since I had planned it) and it's the only one I actually need to revise for.

ReputationRep:
    I'm at college and I can't be bothered revising :-/

ReputationRep:
    I would hate to not get what I can get in June...

But really lazy.

Work will start tomorrow.. hopefully

ReputationRep:
    ive started working but its been slow!, gotta focus!!!

ReputationRep:
    I've little motivation , i usually just do it all at the end of the holiday to make up for what i've not done so the i don't feel guilty for doing nothing But , tbh i'm fine with revising everything other than English

ReputationRep:
    Just think of it this way, this is your last holiday left to really get most of the work done. When I go back after the holidays, I've got little time left at all. I haven't been motivated at all up until this point, but it's suddenly hit me and I've been working my ass off the last few days and will do for the rest of the holiday. It's not gonna be a fun 3 weeks, but hopefully the hard work will pay off. If you're not feeling motivated now, then you've really gotta think about things realistically.

ReputationRep:
    I must get the grades ( haven't worked all term) so I must start now!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by withoutwax1111)
    I must get the grades ( haven't worked all term) so I must start now!
    Starting is always the hardest part. Revision can be effective over a very small period of time

ReputationRep:
    Ive moved out of my house! There were so many distractions there.
    Moved in with my Auntie for Easter and shes never in so im alone most times which is horrible but i need to revise.

TSR is a pretty big distraction though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jellybeany)
    Ive moved out of my house! There were so many distractions there.
    Moved in with my Auntie for Easter and shes never in so im alone most times which is horrible but i need to revise.

TSR is a pretty big distraction though
    I'll second that

ReputationRep:
    I'm not tackling it at all... I would vow to start now but I have work tonight so in that case, I vow to begin Proper Revision tomorrow.

ReputationRep:
    I really struggle to focus and concentrate and frequently find myself procrastinating. The things I find help to get me motivated are the fact that I could get 5 As, I mean an A in English and Computing would require a LOT of work for me, but Maths (the only band 1 I got in my prelims), Physics and Tech are certainly achievable. Also, giving up on going out for a couple of months in exchange for a better university, a better degree, a better job, a better wage seems like it should be easy, and when you finally sit down with a book of past papers or whatever it is easier that you expect, particularly when you are good at the subject, which comes as a result of studying (a positive cycle). I've spent the majority of my 16 years of life with a 'I'll start tomorrow' attitude, with a short break when I frantically crammed for standard grades (which paid off) and I only wish I'd started taking highers seriously earlier, I could easily be sitting here, prepared for getting 5 As like my sister was last year. Which brings me on to another thing that keeps me motivated, my family. I go to a fairly highly achieving state school, My sister is currently doing 5 Advanced highers, got all As (2 or 3 band 1s I think) in the prelims yet often doesn't go to classes and has bad teachers for three of her subjects and amongst all the studying still finds time to go to parties and clubbing and such. Having her as a sister has put a lot of pressure on me, as has my father who works at St Andrews University as an applied mathematician, he went to Bristol for a Bsc and Imperial for a PhD, Unis which I could only hope to get into with a minimum of 4 As. Anyway, enough of my life story.

ReputationRep:
    I realised earlier that since I am only doing 3 highers, I could easily get 3 As. I actually did 2 hours revision today, but that was a PUSH! I'm going to the library tomorrow, creating a massive document of Politics past papers and answers/tips to print.

I've done very well this year thus far passing anything we are given with no less than Bs, but the last week before the holidays started I was hugely stressed out - prelims and reports, so I guess I felt I deserved to do literally nothing for a few days. I think I just need to think about where I can (or will?!) be in 4 or 5 months and just do it. 3 Highers isn't asking much and I think I just believe the As will fall upon me, which is a disgusting attitude.

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, well since I need two A's to get into uni this year, I'm trying to be as motivated as possible. It's got to the point where I have stuck up motivational quotes in my room lol. Because Iknow if I don't get these grades I'm going to regret it for the rest of my life. I'm going to try and turn the "what if's" into a "hell yes" and keep pushing myself.

I do procrastinate sometimes but when I'm "in the zone" I can study for a long time. The hardest part for me is just getting started studying. I usually have to check facebook, TSR, email and the news before I can finally put pen to paper. Gotta stay focused!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by James94)
    My sister is currently doing 5 Advanced highers
    How does she cope?! I couldn't even manage three! :eek:

Hmmm, motivation...I've already got my place at uni and I'm only doing AH French and German which I'm good at and I enjoy, it's just a case of me learning good essay phrases/structures, practising my listening and trying to improve my answering technique for those horrible inferrential questions (or whatever they're called)...the thing is I get distracted really easily and just end up procrastinating the entire day :/ However I want two As so I'm going to start putting some serious revision in!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rhi93)
    How does she cope?! I couldn't even manage three! :eek:
    Haha, yeah, she works really hard, I'm doing 3 next year. She's doing vet med and even she got an outright rejection from Nottingham and a rejection after an interview from Bristol, which shows you how competitive it is (arguably more so than medicine) but she's accepted a conditional offer for Edinburgh.

ReputationRep:
    Just got back from the library. My productivity amazed me! I managed to get a decent amount done, but came to the conclusion that I really, REALLY have to push these next few days. I want the short time back at college to be a bit more laid back in the sense I feel I know everything I should.

ReputationRep:
    I have a lot of motivation cause if I dnt work hard I will end up workin in a crap job n to think tht could b prevented by doin couple hrs of studying each day

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by burial)
    How are you lot tackling procrastination/lack of motivation?
    There's been so much distractions from it. I was basically telling myself it won't be the "Easter holidays" it will be the "Revision holidays" haha. But I've not done much at all. A modern studies essay, finished off Graph Comm stuff and English homework, but apart from that I've not done much "revision" at all.

It's mainly English and Modern Studies which drain my enthusiasm since I find them boring to revise for. (Well Modern Studies is alright, it's just finding all the statistics I hate which takes forever since you need stats for everything).

It always turns out I make English and Mod Stud my priority and end up not getting enough time to revise Maths, Graph Comm and Art. (and I ended up doing crap at Maths and Art in the prelims which are my stronger subjects)

But anyhow, I think I've managed to start doing at least an hour or two... or three now.... well for the past couple of days. :|

I'm sure I'll get my head down soon...

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Applying to university
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.