Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

How strictly should I follow the syllabus? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently making quite detailed notes for IGCSE chemistry, systematically going through the syllabus. There are quite a lot of things in my exercise book that aren't in they syllabus, particularly to do with experiments.

For example, my teacher showed us an experiment to demonstrate reversible reactions using iodine monochloride going to iodine trichloride and then back again, but this experiment is noted nowhere in the syllabus.

Will the exam only ask me something that is specifically in the syllabus? I'm making sure I've got down everything in the syllabus, including the experiments, but I don't know whether I should be making notes on these extra things just in case they pop up in the exam?

ReputationRep:
    In the Edexcel IGCSE 2H paper for May/June 2010 there was a question on the preparation of oxygen. Candidates were required to name the solution and the powder. However, this experiment was not in the 4335 specification. The examiners asserted that because many candidates had seen the reaction in school, all candidates should be able to recall this reaction.

The long and the short is that things may well come up in the exam that you don't expect. How long you spend revising things that are not mentioned in the specification is your decision.

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.