Turn on thread page Beta

10 Pointless things you brought with you to uni watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I am supposed to be writing an essay, but my brain is refusing to co-operate and my eyes are wandering around the room. Starting to think about how much of a nightmare packing all of this stuff will be at the end of the year....

Anyway! I have brought up to uni things that seemed like a good idea at the time, but I have never used once. Post your own list of pointless things, and perhaps it will be a cathartic act that will remind you not to bring it up again next year.

1. A little 30cm tall wooden artists' mannequin. (What was I thinking I'd need that for?)
    2. A grand total of 86 books. (Most of which I have already read anyway, and weigh a freakin' ton... why did I bring them with me?! I felt bad leaving them at home... including three dictionaries - IS ONE NOT ENOUGH!?)
    3. Balls of wool (Guess I thought I was going to learn knitting at some point?)
    4. Bunting (misspelt 'happy bihthday' bunting)
    5. A fuzz factory (but no guitar or amp to use it with)
    6. Last year's work - thought I'd need it, totally didn't.
    7. A single chopstick
    8. A map of campus (as if I'd completely forget over the summer)
    9. Bringing absolutely no cooking equipment other than a teacup.
    10. A single curtain (hung it up anyway out of a sense of duty)
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Probably ten random books I've not used from the many I brought with me, but they may have been useful and may at some other point so they are not really pointless. I do have some old simcards, a couple of phones I don't use and a few pairs of jeans that don't fit me. :dontknow:

I took almost everything I own that wasn't furniture, or simply not useful or needed at university - all of which went into storage.

ReputationRep:
    10 items is too challenging to think of.

I have 3 ringbinder folders...haven't even used one, lol.
    My Doctor Who action figure.
    Combined pin- and whiteboard. My flatmate wrote on it. Once. Haven't used it at all since. (Shame, because it has the potential to be very useful.)
    A mini safe. (Again, great idea, but it never got used after fresher's week.)
    AA batteries. I have nothing to put them in. (This was my mom's idea, though.)
    Most of my wardrobe, unfortunately.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 13, 2011
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.