Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

never been in love ? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    this just hit me. i am on my early 20s and i have nerver been in love. like a proper relationship. had you know few dates and flings but none lasted more than 2 weeks. this just hit me i have never had a proper relationship,. you cant say your in a relationship if it didnt last more than 2 weeks. this is kid of getting me down

ReputationRep:
    So what?

Why's it getting you down?

90% of people who say they have been in love by the time they're 20-whatever probably haven't, anyway. I'm mid-20s and haven't. What's the big deal?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by penthouse)
    this just hit me. i am on my early 20s and i have nerver been in love. like a proper relationship. had you know few dates and flings but none lasted more than 2 weeks. this just hit me i have never had a proper relationship,. you cant say your in a relationship if it didnt last more than 2 weeks. this is kid of getting me down
    so what, moar *****es = moar notches on bedpost.

highest score at time of death wins

ReputationRep:
    I have... with Natalie Portman .

Are you the same person who wondered if there are "parties after university"?

You need to sort your life out mate.

You cannot obtain love just in a second, I do not believe it is something that happens spontaneously, but instead it happens over time.

Regardless, why is it getting you down? Is it due to the fact that everyone else is having a relationship? What is so special about it anyway?

It seems to me you are craving social acceptance and wanting to be in the "in" crowd, despite being in your early twenties. I am younger than you and I have got over the trying to be socially accepted. You are an adult, I expected you to have a more mature attitude to your life. This demeanour that you are currently displaying belongs in your teenage years. Grow up.

Not having a relationship is not the be all and the end all. I await comments from other TSR users explaining how I am "inexperienced" and haven't "lived enough" to be stating any opinions with regards to relationships.

Though, I am not stupid. I know precisely why you want a "proper relationship". You just want to be like everyone else, conform to what society expects of you.

Be your own damn person. Does it really matter if you are not in a relationship? If it does, then continue to wallow in your pity as opposed to breaking free from your chains and becoming an individual and realise that your life does not have to revolve around a "special someone".

ReputationRep:
    Maybe you have commitment issues.

Love is a distraction from your career if you're a woman, and helps your career if you're a man. It's extremely fun.

(Original post by Drewski)
    So what?

Why's it getting you down?

90% of people who say they have been in love by the time they're 20-whatever probably haven't, anyway. I'm mid-20s and haven't. What's the big deal?
    Thank you.

It seems nowadays love does not exist, more like lust.

ReputationRep:
    Meh, me either, I don't think anything of it - unless you count being in love with Ian Somerhalder's hotness

ReputationRep:
    well i feel like i missed out. where everyone has

ReputationRep:
    Like you said, you're in your early 20s, hardly retirement age now is it? :rolleyes:
    Enjoy life while you can, you have years ahead of you. I'm sure your time will come.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The-Real-One)

exactly this
    love is overrated
    OP you aren't missing out

(Original post by Essex_Firmer)
    I have... with Natalie Portman .
    god she's hot

well i feel like i missed out. where everyone has
    Don't you see? You only want to be in love because everyone else is.

How pathetic, that is the attitude of a sheep. Why can't you be your own person and let it come to you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by im so academic)
    Don't you see? You only want to be in love because everyone else is.

How pathetic, that is the attitude of a sheep. Why can't you be your own person and let it come to you?
    we should totally have sex :sexface:

ReputationRep:

I totally get u!

Its stupid though we shoudl feel like this, just because what everyone else does or what is the 'norm'. Nearly everyone I know have been in relationships, meaningless ones and serious ones, I've never been much of a relationship person, Ive never had a lilttle meaningless relationship like one's you have in high school when you young etc... I too am nearly 20! and neither have I, i think the problem is we compare to much about what others do and we think thats right and its makes us feel like this.... Since, ive started uni, ive pulled a couple of guys nothing major, just kissed, but they've been horrible and I can't see myself finding someone to commit to and be in a proper relationship with..... People tell me that when the times right it will just happen, when ur not looking... Hope this helps!

Although, I do feel like ive missed out a lilttle from not having any non serious/meaningless relationships like u do when ur young, again its just peer pressure from society... But i feel as though i should have had meaningless relationships, so that I will then hopefully have a serious one... hmmm not sure?? because I dont want to be having meaningless relationships when im older!! like in my 30ss.... when I should really be having a serious one..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The-Real-One)

your spoilers on sig are awesome :holmes:

ReputationRep:
    its ok for you guys becuase u gys been in a proper relationship

ReputationRep:
    You're in love with your right hand.

ReputationRep:
    I notice that when a lot of people say 'I love you' these days, it sounds utterly devoid of meaning.

Kind of like when you say hello and goodbye. There's just appropriate times to say it, so they do. There's actually no meaning behind the words.

When I heard a woman on the train use the words 'love you' to her boyfriend, as a sign off, I just shook my head. It sounded completely devoid of feeling. She may as well have said 'laters'. If the words have no meaning, why say them?

Point being: A lot of people in relationships are not in love. They just think they look cooler to everyone else with someone on their arm. They're not truly happy, even if they want other people to think they are.

Pointless really.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 12, 2011
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.