Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    This is the graph.
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Core)
    This is the graph.
    I'm not really sure what you're asking but I'm guessing it is this.

Copper inhibits enzyme amylase hence why as starch concentration increases, the rate of reaction with copper is less, compared to that of 'no copper'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by telephone)
    I'm not really sure what you're asking but I'm guessing it is this.

Copper inhibits enzyme amylase hence why as starch concentration increases, the rate of reaction with copper is less, compared to that of 'no copper'.
    the questions asks me how these results show that copper Does Not inhibit, or is not an active site inhibitor.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Core)
    the questions asks me how these results show that copper Does Not inhibit, or is not an active site inhibitor.
    Could you post the whole question please?

ReputationRep:
    If the inhibition was at the active site, then progressively increasing the starch concentration would continue to increase the rate up to the original level as copper ions would be displaced. The difference would be that the slope would be reduced, but the plateau would (theoretically) be at the same level if enough starch was added.

Because the maximum rate (Vmax, at the plateua) is reduced by copper, it shows that there is less enzyme catalysing the reaction. From 8 concentration units onward the enzyme is saturated in both cases. What is likely to have happened is that the copper has poisoned the enzyme. The copper ions bind to a site/sites on the molecule to change the conformation and therefore active site shape, rendering the enzyme non-functional, as enzyme-substrate complexes are not formed. This is non-competitive inhibition.

HTH

University open days

1. University of Cambridge
    Christ's College Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Sep '18
  2. Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Sep '18
  3. Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.