Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey I'm currently a first year studying PPE at Manchester University!

I guess you could say I came into University a little naive, I belived that you would suddenly gel with your new flatmates and everything would be rosey for the year.

Well quite the opposite has happened, I unfortunately live in the more pretentious halls which are slightly isolated from other campus around fallow field. I can go days without seeing people from my flat, even during fresher’s week two girls would not come out with us, but rather bring the local chavs into our flat. My current flatmates also share nothing in common with me and rarely want to go out.

While I’ve made a huge effort to put myself out there by attending house parties at Oak house or socialize with my course mates, its been a uphill struggle as sharing a lecture theatre with 700 people makes for a very impersonal feel.

My grades are shocking. While most students are knocking out 60-75% I’m struggling to pass the 50% mark and have two failed units at 35 &37% totalling 20 credits.

My depression has got to the point where I struggle with getting myself motivated to study and really can't see me wanting to comeback. Having issues like where will I live next year are always playing on my mind. I'm a nice looking guy but I don't have any interest of girls. I find with Manchester Uni unless you’re very popular or keen sports player things can get a little trickier, I've lost count of the amount of times I’ve got rejected from people.

My biggest regret of the year is not living in the sociable halls, I'm so jealous of my course mates.

I just wanted to know if anyone had been through, or are currently experiencing such issues??

ReputationRep:
    What would you do if you left and went back home?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    I'm thinking of dropping out, but this is as much because I can't be bothered as anything else (although I do indeed hate the university and, to an extent, the course).

You need to consider which will make you happier, both in the short and long term. If your long term plan requires a degree then before you drop out you want a clear plan of what you would do when you leave. Re-apply? Open University? Transfer? Etc.

ReputationRep:
    Sure, your halls didn't live up to your expectations, but don't make any hasty decisions just based on that.

Are your halls the only reason why your grades are suffering, or is there something else? Do you enjoy your course?

As other users have said, you need to make a plan before you leave, otherwise you might feel lost and aimless at home whil everyone else you know is at university/working etc.

ReputationRep:
    I'm dropping out too and starting at another uni. I've met loads of nice people but there's been nobody I've gotten really close to. I spend most of my time at home as well anyway so I might as well just move back home!

ReputationRep:
    Which halls are you in? Allen Hall?

ReputationRep:
    I am the same now. Im at manchester university studying electrical engineering and i travel everyday because i live with my parents. But I am coming up to my exams in may/june and i have no motivation at all. I dont like university at all, i don't like the people or the course and how it is taught. Its just not me. So i thought, if i am not happy I just won't learn. So, i went to my old college last week and had a talk with the head of the engineering department and ive made a decision that im going to finish this first year at university and then go back to college doing a HND which is equivalent to 2 years in university. It may be a step back but i enjoyed college when i was there and the way it was taught is more my style and its only round the corner from my home.

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.