Turn on thread page Beta

How to stop being so insecure about boyfriend's past? watch

Announcements

I'll keep this as short as possible.

I'm with my boyfriend of almost a year now, and I still feel really insecure and weird about his past with girls. We've got a bit of an age gap so I suppose it should be kind of anticipated, but the scale on which he seems to bring up (a lot) seems more than I could handle. He has briefly mentioned a few times about how many girls he had "had" when he was younger, whereas I'm only in my second relationship with him. I just feel like I'm inadequate, and I don't want to be another notch on his belt, so to speak. Even yesterday, he mildly flirted with a group of girls in front of me. He thinks it's nothing when he does that, or when he talks about an ex (one particular one), but it really bothers me. The fact that we're in an LDR makes it a bit more shaky for me. He doesn't give me any reason not to trust him but I think sometimes that if he can do that in front of me...?

Also, I know he loves me but I feel like after all his past flings or whatever, I feel like the word's a bit devalued. Whenever he compliments me I feel like it's nothing to him and it's a lot to me, because he's so used to it. I'm a fairly shy person as well, in contrast to him. I don't know, I just feel a bit stupid with him to be honest. We've had two completely different upbringings and lives and everything but.. I don't know. I think I just need some tough love if possible?

Thank you

ReputationRep:
    First of all, have you told him about how much this whole thing bothers you? Communicate

ReputationRep:
    you're obviously not another one of his flings or you wouldn't have lasted this long. he's committed to be in a long distance thing to you so he's obviously not just in it for the sex.

if you don't like him talking about his ex's tell him that and he'll stop. personally i find it really interesting talking about a partners past relationships but i can see that some people wouldn't.

basically talk to him about it. but don't hit him with it all at once.

ReputationRep:
    How big is this age gap? Has he been married before or something :lolwut:

I haven't spoken to him about it because I don't want to sound trivially silly... I do notice that I go a bit quiet afterwards though, I'm not sure he notices. It's more that he says it in a way that sounds a bit like he's showing off and it's not as if I can say anything back, and also it makes me feel like I'm inadequate because I haven't had x many numbers of one night stands or whatever.

How could I mention it to him without sounding needy or demanding?

Age gap is 5 years, 18 and 23 btw.

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like he just feels comfortable talking to you, hes not lied about his past or anything and doesnt see it as a problem, people like talking about ex's and stuff. Just mention to him that it bothers you a bit, if your insecure just talk through it

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 11, 2011
Poll
Cats or dogs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.