Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I always get stuck on the k+1 part

I have no idea what to do once I reach that stage, and this has cost me many marks in practise papers

Please help! =[
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    We can't help unless you give us the question and show your working.
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    The idea is that you're told to prove that something is true for all n. You check the base case (usually n=0 or 1), and then you assume it's true for n=k. What you then have to do is, assuming no more than that it is true for n=k, follow a sequence of logical steps to show that, if it's true for n=k, then it's true for n=k+1.

For example say we have to show that \sin n\pi = 0 for all n \ge 0. Clearly \sin (0\pi) = \sin 0 = 0 so the base case is fine. Next we assume that \sin k\pi = 0. Now, we can write \sin (k+1)\pi = \sin (k\pi + \pi) = \sin k\pi \cos \pi + \cos k \pi \sin \pi. The first term is zero by our assumption that \sin k \pi = 0, and the second term is zero because we know that \sin \pi = 0, and so assuming truth for n=k implies truth for n=k+1. That's the inductive step, so we're done.

ReputationRep:
    A general hint for induction problems: You usually want to show  f(n)=g(n) . What you need to do is find a link between  f(n+1) and  f(n) . If it's a summation problem you will probably want to consider  f(n+1)-f(n) , if it's a product problem it might be  f(n+1)/f(n) and so on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nuodai)
    The idea is that you're told to prove that something is true for all n. You check the base case (usually n=0 or 1), and then you assume it's true for n=k. What you then have to do is, assuming no more than that it is true for n=k, follow a sequence of logical steps to show that, if it's true for n=k, then it's true for n=k+1.

For example say we have to show that \sin n\pi = 0 for all n \ge 0. Clearly \sin (0\pi) = \sin 0 = 0 so the base case is fine. Next we assume that \sin k\pi = 0. Now, we can write \sin (k+1)\pi = \sin (k\pi + \pi) = \sin k\pi \cos \pi + \cos k \pi \sin \pi. The first term is zero by our assumption that \sin k \pi = 0, and the second term is zero because we know that \sin \pi = 0, and so assuming truth for n=k implies truth for n=k+1. That's the inductive step, so we're done.
    this is very confusing to me :/, just the k+1 part.

ReputationRep:
    http://i.imgur.com/h2ahK.png

for example here, i know on the right side he just replaced k with k+1, but on the left side why does he turn (3k-4) into (3k-4) + (3(k+1)-4)

are you meant to leave the (3k-4) in the lhs THEN add another value that is with the k's replaced with k+1?

thanks
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    (Original post by TimetoSucceed)
    http://i.imgur.com/h2ahK.png

for example here, i know on the right side he just replaced k with k+1, but on the left side why does he turn (3k-4) into (3k-4) + (3(k+1)-4)

are you meant to leave the (3k-4) in the lhs THEN add another value that is with the k's replaced with k+1?

thanks
    You're trying to show that, for all n, -1 + 2 + 5 + 8 + \cdots + (3n-4) = \frac{n}{2}(3n-5). Now, the LHS in the case n=k looks like:

-1 + 2 + 5 + 8 + \cdots + (3k-4)

The goal is to show that the n=k+1 sum is equal to what you get when you replace 'n' by 'k+1' in the formula for what you're trying to show. The LHS in the case n=k+1 looks like:

-1 + 2 + 5 + 8 + \cdots + (3(k+1)-4)

But inside the \cdots is hidden a load of other terms, and 3k-4 is one of them (it's just the kth term in the sum), because to get to the n=k+1 sum you add the (k+1)th term to the n=k sum, right? And so to emphasise what you're meant to do, it's been written as

-1 + 2 + 5 + 8 + \cdots + (3k-4) + (3(k+1)-4)

What he's put on the RHS is what you need to try to show is true, using only your assumption about the n=k case. Your assumption about the n=k case tells you that

-1+2+5+8+\cdots+(3k-4) = \frac{k}{2}(3k-5)

and so you can write your n=k+1 sum as:

\frac{k}{2}(3k-5) + (3(k+1)-4)

(Because to get from the n=k sum to the n=k+1 sum you just add the (k+1)th term to both sides)

You then have to rearrange this to show that it's equal to \frac{k+1}{2}(3(k+1)-5).

I've tried to make this as clear and obvious as I can, but if you still don't understand, let me know (but refer to specific parts rather than 'the k+1 bit').

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: April 12, 2011

University open days

• University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Exeter Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • University of Bradford
    Faculty of Health Studies Postgraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • Northumbria University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
Poll
Who do you think it's more helpful to talk about mental health with?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Equations

Best calculators for A level Maths

Tips on which model to get

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.