Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I am ashamed of my generation. Watch

ReputationRep:
    Where did the atmosphere of the 60's and 70's go? When the youth of the world were buzzing with protest, actively making an effort to have their voices heard, to spread peace and love and all those other hippie stereotypes? When they stuck their middle fingers up at conformity, tore social conventions to the ground and ran free? I know it probably wasn't as the media portrays it now, a time of magic when everyone held hands and smoked weed, but anyone who lived in this period will be able to look back upon their actions with some sort of pride, at how they protested so passionately against the vietnam war and caused a cultural revolution. I'm 16 now, and though there are plenty of things that I like about today's world (lack of racial or sexual discrimination, first non-white president elected, technologic and medical advancements, and some of the music/ art) I don't think I will be able to look back upon myself as a teen when I'm older and feel anything but shame for what we, collectively, as a generation, have done. I doubt most teens my age would even be able to give you any kind of opinion on the Iraq/ Afghanistan war, or the events unfolding in Libya, or anything else even slightly political. Instead, they blunder on like sheep, bleating the latest catchiest tunes from some god-awful pop artist, unable to form opinions or reject the conformities thrust upon them. A complete lack of independancy, unable to walk three steps before running back to their parents for more money to blow on the latest expensive designer wear or an iphone bloody 4. I yearn for a simple lifestyle - travelling with friends, experimenting with drugs, listening to good music, living life, voicing my opinions. While the youth of yesterday's generation voiced their opinions through protest and action, my generation are capable only of running around malls and whining about money. I know every generation has people like me who wish to have been born in a different time, but really, there is no denying that today's youth should simply be ashamed of themselves for their materialism, detachment from real worldwide issues, and, let's face it, the sh*tty music they poison themselves with. If a time machine were to be built, I would be first in line to travel back.

ReputationRep:
    Lol please.

People only remember the best times of previous generations.

You're pretty dumb if you think all teens in the 60s/70s were politically active. It's just, people only remember the vocal ones.

In 30 years, people will look back on the noughties and think we were all at illegal rave parties, living like skins, or Anarchists like the recent London demonstrations have been about.
    And I don't know anyone who doesn't have an opinion on Iraq/Afghanistan. Even if it isn't more developed than 'oil'.

Don't romanticise the past, it's naive.

ReputationRep:
    tl;dr

ReputationRep:
    You could have cut the like, two sentences of that that was actually about teenager attitude to things in general and just gone on a rant about how **** music is nowadays.

Which I heartily concur with.

ReputationRep:
    :facepalm:
    Everything was soooo much better in the past. I hate my life now. My whole generation sucks blah blah etc etc

People like you annoy me. People who complain about **** like this. You want to take drugs and travel and voice your opinion? Go ****ing do it then! If your life is **** then maybe its not your generation with the problem. Maybe its you.

Think about that, hippy.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    It only seems better because it's in the past, so you pick out and remember the best bits. The amount of times I've read that books/movies/video games/music/people were soooooooo much better in the past is beyond count, yet they only ever compare the best from the past to the worst of today.

ReputationRep:
    Ah, you're alternativism is so edgy... there's too many vertices and corners up in this *****.

How can I be more like you?

ReputationRep:
    I occasionally feel like this but then I just sit there and wait to get out and go to university. Then, we will discover the people we have so long awaited for. Don't look at our generation as a disapointment, do something about it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FloydHead)
    I yearn for a simple lifestyle - travelling with friends, experimenting with drugs, listening to good music, living life
    Loads of people do this nowadays you know, in fact there are more young people travelling abroad than ever before. Plus loads of people experiment with drugs too, whether abroad in Thailand etc., in clubs at home or at raves etc. Also - there's been loads of student protests in the past decade, so I don't know where you got the impression that young people nowadays don't stand up for anything.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jingers)
    Ah, you're alternativism is so edgy... there's too many vertices and corners up in this *****.

How can I be more like you?
    Ahhhhh, I ran out of thumbs ups XD So this post will have to suffice

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FloydHead)
    Where did the atmosphere of the 60's and 70's go? When the youth of the world were buzzing with protest, actively making an effort to have their voices heard, to spread peace and love and all those other hippie stereotypes? When they stuck their middle fingers up at conformity, tore social conventions to the ground and ran free? I know it probably wasn't as the media portrays it now, a time of magic when everyone held hands and smoked weed, but anyone who lived in this period will be able to look back upon their actions with some sort of pride, at how they protested so passionately against the vietnam war and caused a cultural revolution. I'm 16 now, and though there are plenty of things that I like about today's world (lack of racial or sexual discrimination, first non-white president elected, technologic and medical advancements, and some of the music/ art) I don't think I will be able to look back upon myself as a teen when I'm older and feel anything but shame for what we, collectively, as a generation, have done. I doubt most teens my age would even be able to give you any kind of opinion on the Iraq/ Afghanistan war, or the events unfolding in Libya, or anything else even slightly political. Instead, they blunder on like sheep, bleating the latest catchiest tunes from some god-awful pop artist, unable to form opinions or reject the conformities thrust upon them. A complete lack of independancy, unable to walk three steps before running back to their parents for more money to blow on the latest expensive designer wear or an iphone bloody 4. I yearn for a simple lifestyle - travelling with friends, experimenting with drugs, listening to good music, living life, voicing my opinions. While the youth of yesterday's generation voiced their opinions through protest and action, my generation are capable only of running around malls and whining about money. I know every generation has people like me who wish to have been born in a different time, but really, there is no denying that today's youth should simply be ashamed of themselves for their materialism, detachment from real worldwide issues, and, let's face it, the sh*tty music they poison themselves with. If a time machine were to be built, I would be first in line to travel back.
    zzzzzzzZZZZZZZZZZ

I bet your a right laugh out on the piss :rolleyes:, you whinging ****

ReputationRep:
    I'm ashamed of your ability to know when to have paragraphs.

ReputationRep:

But this happens....

ReputationRep:
    I'm ashamed of people who talk about the good old days, maaan, like they were actually alive. Which you probably weren't. If you were gtfo off TSR. :p:

ReputationRep:
    What's wrong with conformity? I like conformity. There is a reason why we have conformity and thats because it works.

ReputationRep:
    Whinge whinge moan moan. There is a lot wrong with our generation but no more than any other previous generation.

And your 16 for ****s sake. Doing drugs and traveling is fun but to be honest, been there done that.

ReputationRep:
    You're 16

You haven't got a ****ing clue how it was like

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Cornerstone)
    You're 16

You haven't got a ****ing clue how it was like
    Lol is he really? Good lord. Meh, I thought about writing a long post about how wrong you are and how you only hear about the people that stood out, not the hordes of people who just sat around stoned all day, not giving two sh***.

Of course, there are always going to be people who just assume that life was so good before now, however a lot of them didn't live in it, or they don't know how "good" their life is currently.

That was directed at the OP, not you BTW

ReputationRep:
    We are the most technological generation in the world with the most advanced science and intelligent scepticism than ever before. In the hippie days one had to preach "the breaking down of the system and peace and flowers conquering all" to be the crowd leader. Nowadays to win an argument you have to prove your point logically financially and psychologically, in that order.
    We rock.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.