Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Do I need to revise? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi all

I'm preparing for my AS exams in May/June and I have a dilemma sheathed to revise or not. I got As in my January modulars in Geography and Business studies, but my other subjects (History and English) are summer only (With Geography and business aswell). And somehow I've tricked myself in thinking that revision is bad.

Help!!!

ReputationRep:
    Revision is good...

ReputationRep:
    Yes.

ReputationRep:
    Basically, I will never know whether I needed to revise or not.
    There is no evidence to suggest that revision hurts your chances so there is no reason not to.

ReputationRep:
    Im thinking yes..

ReputationRep:
    Yes!! As they say practice makes perfect... and I don't know about you're subjects but if I do enough physics and maths, they often reappear in more or less the same format each year, so revision is useful.

ReputationRep:
    Take a chance and see on Results Day...

No, really just revise. You won't regret it

ReputationRep:
    Why wouldn't you need to revise?!

ReputationRep:
    I would say yes, revise. Why? Because around only 10 percent will stick in your head if you just read it and even less if you don't even read it. You may have a photographic memory and if you do, then you may not have to revise, but I would still go through your notes and learn them. If you don't learn, things could go horribly wrong and you may end up with bad grades, but on the other hand, you may not revise and get straight As. However, to be safe, I would most definitely say revise because at least that way you know that you will be prepared for the exams.

Revision is not a bad thing, it may be hard to try to motivate yourself, but if you don't do it your grades could suffer and I'm sure that you wouldn't want that. Perhaps try and motivate yourself by telling yourself that if you do x amount of pages, you can watch an episode of something on television. But remember, though, it is whatever works for you. Try out different things and if something isn't working, then try doing something else.

Go through your notes, highlight key words, have a notebook full of definitions. Rewrite things out, buy revision guides, do past papers. All these things can help you to achieve the good grades that I assume you aspire to have (judging on your January results).

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Yes, some studies have shown it to be effective with passing exams.

ReputationRep:
    Yes! I hate cliches but what I'm telling myself is: 'Fail to prepare, prepare to fail!'. It's very risky... I wouldn't want to risk it at this stage when a uni place is riding on it!

ReputationRep:
    Well obviously :rolleyes:, thought that was obvious unless your incredibly intelligent....

ReputationRep:
    I got straight A's in my first As modules with little revision. I did just as little revision for the summer modules and my grades sank to ABBB.

This is a stupid question. Stop making excuses to avoid revision. Wallowing in your own lack of motivation won't get you anywhere.

ReputationRep:
    Yes yes yes, don't ruin your chances, don't regret it later blah blah blah it's all cliche but is all true, now do it! I believe in you! You can do anything you set your mind to!

ReputationRep:
    If you need to ask the question, should you be doing A-Levels?

ReputationRep:
    Unless you want to pay for retakes, revise.

ReputationRep:
    I say don't revise, then you will get **** grades and realise how important revision is, so from then on you will always revise since at the moment you think revision is "bad".

ReputationRep:
    just revise!!! you know it will be worth it in the end!

ReputationRep:
    Revision can be bad? :lolwut:

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.