The Student Room Group

What would make your parents dissapointed?

No matter how controlling or laissez faire your parents are, there will undoubtedly be something that you do that will make them thing of you in negative terms - whether it's simple annoyance or being disowned completely - what actions, behaviours, or beliefs will make your parents dissapointed?

For me, although my parents aren't at all controlling and don't interfere in my life in nearly every part. Yet I know they would definitely be dissapointed in me if I did/and they they found it I did illicit drugs; if I was homosexual and came out to them they would be pretty upset; they'd also not be too happy if I got some girl pregnant.

The only thing I know they'd be very pissed off to the point of perhaps disowning me would be if I got a tattoo, sounds silly but, my parents have very strong feelings against tattoos - for various cultural, religious etc. reasons that I won't go into.

They'd also be pretty pissed of if I had children and decided to raise them out irreligious (as in not Jewish), they wouldn't mind if I went out with or married someone who's not Jewish but, unfortunately for them they're going to be a bit miffed when I raise my children secular - they see it as "letting Hitler win".

What about yourselves then?

Scroll to see replies

Committing myself to a girl that is not of the same, ethnic, cultural and religious background.

I'm thoroughly screwed.
Reply 2
Perhaps if I started taking heavy drugs or failed my AS levels again.
Reply 3
Original post by iCrackMyselfUp
Committing myself to a girl that is not of the same, ethnic, cultural and religious background.

I'm thoroughly screwed.

ok religious background i understand, BUT ETHNIC AND CULTURAL SORRY DUDE YOUR PARENTS ARE RACIST:yep:
Original post by d_star
ok religious background i understand, BUT ETHNIC AND CULTURAL SORRY DUDE YOUR PARENTS ARE RACIST:yep:

Yeah, so?
Reply 5
Hmm its difficult to think of anything. Maybe if I got into serious drugs. My parents are cool.
Well, I ****ed up my education (not terribly, but it didn't exactly meet their expectations either), they know I smoke, mum knows I'm a stoner and is fine with it (me and a mate were sitting playing on Left For Dead the other day when she walked in and noticed all the cookies had gone. "Got the munchies, boys?" was asked. The response was 5 minutes of laughter and she walked off saying "Oh dear..."), and I've come home drunk so many times before (traffic cones and other items have been found at various places in the house in the morning. Mum's also found me asleep in the porch at half 5 in the morning after I couldn't be bothered to unlock the front door :awesome: ) that it doesn't faze them any more.
Oh, and dad has tattoos and mum's getting one soon as well, so that's no concern.
Considering how well behaved I've been up until now (compared to siblings) they'd probably let me off with murder.
Not having a well-earning job, not marrying a successful man, not getting a good uni grade, not visiting them often enough, not recycling cardboard, not having a compost bin, not eating enough veg.... THE LIST IS ENDLESS!
Failing my exams (not getting all As :facepalm:)
Not standing up for myself
Getting a tattoo
Not producing offspring

This is all my mom. Dad doesn't care :biggrin:
if i don't complete university.
if i get pregnant out of wedlock.
if i get married too young.
if i never get married.
if they found out about some of the stuff i get up to.
Reply 11
If I married a troll, they wont be happy.

Seriously though they are pretty open minded, and will come around sooner or later.
Plenty of things would usually disappoint them: dating/marrying outside my race and religion; if I turn out to be gay; becoming pregnant outside marriage; getting tattoos; cigarettes, excessive alcohol and drugs; not living healthily, etc. Though tbh with my health the way it is, I think if I'm happy, healthy and safe, they will be happy too. Turns out my parents are far more chilled about life than I previously thought :smile:
Reply 13
Yeah, so?

:cool: thank god i aint got racist small minded parents, and neighter am i. gosh i hate racist people lol
Reply 14

I'm thoroughly screwed.

Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Plenty of things would usually disappoint them: dating/marrying outside my race and religion; if I turn out to be gay; becoming pregnant outside marriage; getting tattoos; cigarettes, excessive alcohol and drugs; not living healthily, etc. Though tbh with my health the way it is, I think if I'm happy, healthy and safe, they will be happy too. Turns out my parents are far more chilled about life than I previously thought :smile:

are you asian
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by d_star
gosh i hate racist people lol

I'm sure my mum will be very sad to hear this.

Original post by sucess
are you asian

No
Everything I do disappoints them. :emo:

Seriously.

Doing the wrong course at uni. My girlfriend isn't the same background as me, don't like her as a person either. Will go crazy when they find out I have zero desire to raise kids to be their religion. They don't like the clothes I wear. Don't like what I do with my hair. Don't like that I'm not on track for a first. Hate my piercings. Would go mental if I did drugs, smoked or if I got a tattoo. Don't know I'm an atheist, would go insane if they found out. Don't like that I'm on medication for depression. Don't like that I don't want to do a masters. Don't like that I cba to learn to drive. Don't like the career I want.

All of these things make them think of me in negative terms. A more simple question might be what do I do that they like....I painted the gate last time I visited my mum.
Original post by sucess
are you asian

:bhangra:

which, in other smileys, means

:yep:

:awesome:
Reply 18
If i leave uni
If i ever get pregnant
if i get together with a poor chav
if i had any tatoo
if i commit a crime
If i ever try drugs
:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
Reply 19
If I told them I was an Atheist, got anything less than B's in my A-levels, failed to get into a 'decent' university, didn't graduate with at least a 2:1 in a useful subject, didn't marry a Catholic man, had a non-Catholic boyfriend, had non-Christian friends, smoked, drank alcohol, took drugs, became gay, got any sort of piercing or tattoos, gained weight...

Yeah. The list is endless.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending