Turn on thread page Beta

What would make your parents dissapointed? watch

ReputationRep:
    Both my parents would be pretty disappointed if I took up smoking. Considering all the people I spend time with at the moment are ridiculously heavy smokers, the only thing that's actually preventing me from starting is because I know they would hate it. Yeah, it's not even a big thing, but my sisters all smoke or smoked, I'm the only one that hasn't ever, and just the look on my mum's face would be enough to stop me.

ReputationRep:
    Probably if I got pregnant, took drugs or smoked - don't think they'd be too happy but they never are with me really even though I'm much better than the other siblings

ReputationRep:
    Being pregnant outside marriage, amongst many other things.

ReputationRep:
    in my A-level modules, I kid you not, I got

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAB

Epic beatings were given.

ReputationRep:
    My dad is/would be disappointed if i failed uni, got a tattoo, didn't get a job, drank too much, smoked, took drugs, etc

My mum would be disappointed if I lied or wasn't true to myself.

ReputationRep:
    Dad - loads.

Mum - Not much. Not doing much after uni would piss her off.

Oh, and dating a black/Asian guy.. (yes, yes, racist parents, what can I do?) I told her about drugs and stuff when I was a teen, she really didn't care, but smoking would piss her off.

ReputationRep:
    I honestly can't think of much, except extreme/obvious things like getting arrested! If I got pregnant I think they'd be surprised & shocked but probably not that disappointed, they'd get over it pretty quickly. I've already dropped out of uni and they were totally fine with that, they accepted that I smoke years ago, they don't care if I get drunk every week...The main thing at the moment would probably be if I lost/quit my job and just sat around on the dole, or if I started taking drugs on a regular basis. I also think my dad would be disappointed if I suddenly became religious, haha.

ReputationRep:
    Never realised so many people had helicopter parents.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sucess)
    are you asian
    I thought of that as well, but then I saw she was doing a Music degree. What Asian do you see studying Music? (Im Asian before any one says that's racist etc...)

ReputationRep:
    When I was younger and up until I finished uni, getting less than 90% was not acceptable. My father is an investor himself. He has this ROI=Return on Investment formula he expected of me, private school fees and all those = returns were needed in form of good grades. Fees towards any extra classes like music, sport or anything of that sort = returns is there must be a prize to show for it. Before I went to USA for university, he told me he is treating the money spent as a property investment and he expected returns similar to that as what it would be if he had put the money into a house. Thankfully, the only "returns" expected was a 3.8/4.0 CGPA and upon graduation I got a job with a very good company that paid very well or else I was to pay back every single cent.

Other things that would disappoint them :-

Drugs. Smoking, Girls who did not have the correct skin color. Me not having a nice house and car

ReputationRep:
    Getting a 2.1.

Seriously.

ReputationRep:
    my dad would be disappointed if i relied on him financially forever.

my mum would be disappointed if i married a girl (and im a lesbian), got a tattoo, piercings, stretched lobes, smoke, drink, and joined the mafia.

the only things i dont do are drink and join the mafia.

ReputationRep:
    Is it sad I can't say much.

My parents are pretty jaded so I don't think anything I could do could amuse them, this does the opposite and rather than not bothering to impress them and being a rebel seen as they are so ridiculously laid back I have to impose self discipline on myself....

ReputationRep:
    If I told them I was an Atheist.
    Getting pregnant out of wedlock - to someone from a different race/religious background.
    Failing university.
    Tattoos.

That's about it. My mum + dad are fine with piercings and I don't do drugs...

ReputationRep:
    Oh and wow and the amount of people with racist parents...EEK!

loads of things but most importantly if i ever had sex before marriage they would kick me out and be extremely dissapointed..

so nobody is going to find out EVER about last night.

ReputationRep:
    I think they'd flip if I failed my A levels, got pregnant or starting using drugs.

My Dad wouldn't approve of me getting a tattoo or piercings, but screw him.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    My parents wouldnt like it if i started doing drugs, getting into trouble with the law or became a teenage mother.

ReputationRep:
    lots of the things that seem to be cropping up on peoples lists I've done and it has made them briefly angry at me but never disappointed. I assume most of the other things would be the same if I did them as well. my parents gave me a long talk once after I got into quite a bit of trouble about how things I do make them angry but they would never be disappointed in me because they don't see me as some sort of project that can fail and the only disappointment they would feel related to me is disappointment FOR me if things that I did/things that happened made me unhappy. I guess this was kind of shown a little bit when I got my tattoo my dad really hates them and was dead set on convincing me not to get it but once it was clear that it was something I was definitely going to do he changed from trying to convince me they were bad to nagging me about checking up on the place and making sure what I wanted was exactly right and waiting for so long and seeing if I still liked it to make sure that it wouldn't be something that I would regret. I do think that they meant what they said even though I guess there is always the possibility of extremes that would be the exception, like I'm pretty sure they would be disappointed in me if I murdered someone. and I truly feel lucky that they will always be there and that after any initial anger there only concern would be how to help not how I disappoint them and I feel bad for some of the people on this thread.

ReputationRep:
    If I took drugs.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 22, 2011
Poll
Could you cope without Wifi?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.