Turn on thread page Beta

What would make your parents dissapointed? watch

ReputationRep:
    I would say spelling "disappointed" wrong in a thread title would disappoint them

ReputationRep:
    Not too much really , Just drugs and other obvious ones.

ReputationRep:
    Losing their house.

ReputationRep:
    My mum's not gonna be happy when I decide that I don't want to raise my children as a Christian/Catholic/any other religious denomination. Nor, for that matter, does she want me to vote conservative...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by It could be lupus)
    I would say spelling "disappointed" wrong in a thread title would disappoint them
    I think that that would disappoint me more than it'd disappoint them....

ReputationRep:
    Failing to take care of myself and/or failing to get into uni.

Also breaking the law (I don't think they care about weed that much though).

ReputationRep:
    I'd like to think if I'm happy, they'll be happy. But they'd probably be disappointed if I dropped out of uni, got pregnant before being married, started sleeping around, taking drugs, etc.

ReputationRep:
    being gay
    become druggie
    got **** prego
    marry some ****
    etc

ReputationRep:
    Mum - She'd get very upset & disappointed if she found out I smoke socially.. I think getting pregnant young would disappoint her also but it'd be hypocritical to get angry about it.
    Dad - Same as above aside the part about it being hypocritical hehe..Also, getting into a relationship with a "chav" (as he'd call it) would highly disappoint him as well as if I were lesbian/bisexual.

ReputationRep:
    Going to University. My mother wants me to get a "proper job"

ReputationRep:
    If I had sex in their bed. Oh wait, they laughed at that one.
    Ummm, they're pretty relaxed. But my dad would be really disappointed in me if he found out about me having facebook/tumblr/youtube... The ironic thing is, he's a computer technician.
    They'd be disappointed if I became a teacher or died my hair.
    I don't think there's much else.

I have just realised how strange they are...

ReputationRep:
    Grandparents are like parents^2 when it comes to the spectrum of things that would conjure disappointment in you....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chiksy)
    If i leave uni
    If i ever get pregnant
    if i get together with a poor chav
    if i had any tatoo
    if i commit a crime
    If i ever try drugs
    :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
    I could help you commit 3 of those :sexface:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Deadlifts)
    No matter how controlling or laissez faire your parents are, there will undoubtedly be something that you do that will make them thing of you in negative terms - whether it's simple annoyance or being disowned completely - what actions, behaviours, or beliefs will make your parents dissapointed?

For me, although my parents aren't at all controlling and don't interfere in my life in nearly every part. Yet I know they would definitely be dissapointed in me if I did/and they they found it I did illicit drugs; if I was homosexual and came out to them they would be pretty upset; they'd also not be too happy if I got some girl pregnant.

The only thing I know they'd be very pissed off to the point of perhaps disowning me would be if I got a tattoo, sounds silly but, my parents have very strong feelings against tattoos - for various cultural, religious etc. reasons that I won't go into.

They'd also be pretty pissed of if I had children and decided to raise them out irreligious (as in not Jewish), they wouldn't mind if I went out with or married someone who's not Jewish but, unfortunately for them they're going to be a bit miffed when I raise my children secular - they see it as "letting Hitler win".

What about yourselves then?

after spending so many resources bringing me up and finding out I still couldn't spell DISAPPOINTED.
    They'd probably hang themselves.

ReputationRep:
    My Dad would only be disappointed if I smoked (he does and doesn't want me to fall into the same habit), got pregnant or if I got bad grades and didn't get into University. I think that's pretty fair to be honest.

My Mum on the other hand can be disappointed in many ways. She'll get all weird if I ever talk about having fun whilst drinking alcohol and start ranting about she never drank alcohol until she was 30...
    She goes crazy if I don't use correct manners and she'll get horribly disappointed if I leave one item of clothing on my bedroom floor.
    Also if I don't come home from school early to look after the dog she gets annoyed with me and says things which make me feel bad :mad: I like my dog but it's annoying I have to revolve my whole weekdays around her.

I could go on, but basically everything and it pisses me off. I love my mum, she's a lovely person (when i'm not doing anything wrong) but I have to tread on ****ing eggshells and basically do everything that she asks otherwise she gets in a pissy mood.
    Rant over :cool:

Be gay, have a Bf/gf, have facebook, fail exams, talk to the opposite sex, text the opposite sex, have alcohol, go to a nightclub, do drugs. Etc.

(Original post by Deadlifts)
    No matter how controlling or laissez faire your parents are, there will undoubtedly be something that you do that will make them thing of you in negative terms - whether it's simple annoyance or being disowned completely - what actions, behaviours, or beliefs will make your parents dissapointed?

What about yourselves then?
    If my parents found out i went to a party, got pissed/smoked, had my ex tell me random **** whilst with his girlfriend then, feeling like crap and still quite off my face went back to another guys house, slept with him and haven't talked to him since... (im not proud of any of this)
    Luckily they wouldn't suspect this as they all see me as the innocent one... otherwise my mum would hate me and my dad would go skits.

They hate the idea of sex before marriage let alone one night stands.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mellie220)
    My Dad would only be disappointed if I smoked (he does and doesn't want me to fall into the same habit), got pregnant or if I got bad grades and didn't get into University. I think that's pretty fair to be honest.

My Mum on the other hand can be disappointed in many ways. She'll get all weird if I ever talk about having fun whilst drinking alcohol and start ranting about she never drank alcohol until she was 30...
    She goes crazy if I don't use correct manners and she'll get horribly disappointed if I leave one item of clothing on my bedroom floor.
    Also if I don't come home from school early to look after the dog she gets annoyed with me and says things which make me feel bad :mad: I like my dog but it's annoying I have to revolve my whole weekdays around her.

I could go on, but basically everything and it pisses me off. I love my mum, she's a lovely person (when i'm not doing anything wrong) but I have to tread on ****ing eggshells and basically do everything that she asks otherwise she gets in a pissy mood.
    Rant over :cool:
    do you cut yourself?

ReputationRep:
    Getting caught drink/drug driving. They made that one explicitly clear when I passed my test.
    I think that's the only thing that they would disown me for actually!

ReputationRep:
    Not much they're pretty cool. They even talk to my sister and i about how they'd be okay if we got pregnant lol. They were both potheads as young adults, not that they've been irresponsible raising us at all, actually none of us have ever smoked/done drugs/drank excessively, and we're all straight A students. But they'd get it if we did those things. We're all atheist, our whole lives they've said it wouldn't make a difference if we were gay (some of my family is, so...). I mean, really, they think tattoos are a bit silly, but there'd be no serious repercussion if I got one. Wow, my parents are pretty great

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 22, 2011
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.