Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What would make your parents dissapointed? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Getting pregnant. In fact it wouldn't even be dissapointed, it would be 'you're moving out. He's got you pregnant, it's his responsibility'.

ReputationRep:
    Although I'm a girl, I'm like my dad's son. As in, if I end up dropping out of uni (like my mum actually did), if i don't do a "tough" job, if I choose a career he can't really participate in... He'll be disappointed.
    Relationship wise, mh. I think he'd want me to get married eventually. But definitely not before my career is top-notch.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drunk Punx)
    Well, I ****ed up my education (not terribly, but it didn't exactly meet their expectations either), they know I smoke, mum knows I'm a stoner and is fine with it (me and a mate were sitting playing on Left For Dead the other day when she walked in and noticed all the cookies had gone. "Got the munchies, boys?" was asked. The response was 5 minutes of laughter and she walked off saying "Oh dear..."), and I've come home drunk so many times before (traffic cones and other items have been found at various places in the house in the morning. Mum's also found me asleep in the porch at half 5 in the morning after I couldn't be bothered to unlock the front door :awesome: ) that it doesn't faze them any more.
    Oh, and dad has tattoos and mum's getting one soon as well, so that's no concern.
    don't know why people put up with children like you
    your parents must be so proud.. if they don't give a **** at least discipline yourself

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pooo)
    I could help you commit 3 of those :sexface:
    Loool :rofl::rofl: which of these???:p:p

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PortiaLovesMcqueen)
    Oh and wow and the amount of people with racist parents...EEK!
    Lol, that's so not right!

(Original post by Anonymous)
    loads of things but most importantly if i ever had sex before marriage they would kick me out and be extremely dissapointed..

so nobody is going to find out EVER about last night.
    Hahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ! :lol:

To be honest I don't care about what does/doesn't disappoint my parents. I don't see why I should conform to anyone's expectations including theirs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hippysnake)
    in my A-level modules, I kid you not, I got

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAB

Epic beatings were given.
    Really? :lolwut:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Deadlifts)
    No matter how controlling or laissez faire your parents are, there will undoubtedly be something that you do that will make them thing of you in negative terms - whether it's simple annoyance or being disowned completely - what actions, behaviours, or beliefs will make your parents dissapointed?

For me, although my parents aren't at all controlling and don't interfere in my life in nearly every part. Yet I know they would definitely be dissapointed in me if I did/and they they found it I did illicit drugs; if I was homosexual and came out to them they would be pretty upset; they'd also not be too happy if I got some girl pregnant.

The only thing I know they'd be very pissed off to the point of perhaps disowning me would be if I got a tattoo, sounds silly but, my parents have very strong feelings against tattoos - for various cultural, religious etc. reasons that I won't go into.

They'd also be pretty pissed of if I had children and decided to raise them out irreligious (as in not Jewish), they wouldn't mind if I went out with or married someone who's not Jewish but, unfortunately for them they're going to be a bit miffed when I raise my children secular - they see it as "letting Hitler win".

What about yourselves then?
    getting pregnant lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Liyah)
    This!! I know its TSR but i'm still a bit shocked.
    So am I! And I feel bad for some people.

Telling them I'm gay.
    I am NOT looking forward to that

ReputationRep:
    I can't really think of anything that would make them disown me. Maybe if I got pregnant at this age, my dad would be angry, but they'd never disown me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arcanine)
    Some peoples parents sound like right knobs. "Being friends with non-christians", seriously?
    I know it is totally ridiculous. We live in the 21st century now and people need to accept that and adjust rather than be the bigoted and ignorant idiots that they are and stop passing on their bigotry and ignorance towards their children.

ReputationRep:
    If I started regularly doing drugs - they know I've tried weed and I don't know if they were disappointed or just concerned.
    If I got pregnant before I do everything I want to - I'd like to give Uni a try and I think they'd be slightly disappointed if I didn't get to because of a baby.

We all drink, and they support me no matter what I do at college - as long as I've tried my hardest they're proud of me when it comes to academics, and if I turned out to be gay (which I'm not, but we have sneaking suspicions about my brother ) they'd be completely supportive.

I can't believe there are some parents out there who'd be angry at their kids if they got a tattoo! Me and my mum are getting matching ones for my 18th birthday, a welsh dragon with the name of my brother who died when I was younger below it. And parents who'd be angry if their kids didn't get all As or raised their children outside of their/any religion, or dated someone of a different race? These people shouldn't be allowed to have children!

ReputationRep:
    If I self-harmed, commited suicide, became a drug addict or teen mother, etc.. Other than that my parents are quite liberal

ReputationRep:
    A is average
    B is bad
    C is catastrophic
    D is death

Before you ask, my parents aren't Asian .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Laurah5498)
    Getting caught drink/drug driving. They made that one explicitly clear when I passed my test.
    I think that's the only thing that they would disown me for actually!
    I love your sig!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Telling them I'm gay.
    I am NOT looking forward to that
    Awwww :console:

ReputationRep:
    If I failed at life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dee Leigh)
    Really? :lolwut:
    Oh hell yeah, my dad got my D1 Maths book and smashed me over the head with it.
    Just kidding.

ReputationRep:
    My parents are very easily disappointed. It's more relaxed now that I'm older, but still :p:
    Education always came first [AAAA in my A2s, but my older brother got AAAAA so meh]
    No tattoos
    No piercings [I had to be 16 before I could get my ears done, anything else and whilst I live under their roof they'll remove them]
    I can drink but if they knew how much they'd be mad
    No drugs [they'd kick me out]
    No smoking
    Inappropriate clothes
    Fake tan
    They used to hate me dying my hair but I think they got used to it.
    Anything other than a normal hair style....basically anyhting aesthetic which could damage career prospects
    If I got pregnant outside of marriage [I'd be more gutted than them though!]
    If I'm careless with my money
    If they knew I'd had ONS
    Swearing [my dad would have a fit at me, mum less so but even she'd dislike it]
    If i didn't take my responsibilities seriously [i.e. looking after my dog]
    Speaking poorly [my dad frequently comments on my accent]
    Poor grammar
    If my children don't turn out well
    If I marry someone who is rude/uncouth
    They weren't impressed with my ex who didn't have much of a path in life
    My dad wouldn't like me turning religious
    etc etc...

ReputationRep:
    Being a homo, doing illegal drugs seriously, getting a girl pregnant, failing my exams and living off them, being violent, being abusive.

Luckily I don't do/am not any of those things.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 22, 2011
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.