Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    mods pls delete my previous thread

PLEASE ONLY HELP IF YOU HAVE KNOWLEDGE OF APPLYING TO NOTTINGHAM UNIVERSITY.
    I HATE IT WHEN MILLIONS OF PEOPLE ON TSR TRY TO HELP AND GIVE WRONG ADVICE.

I want to apply for accomodation and its my firm choice but i had a few ques :
    1) is there first come first serve policy and which is the best catered halls?
    2)what option do people generally choose catered or non catered?
    3)is there like a vegeterian or halal option for catered and is it worth it if your a muslim?
    4)do we have to share toilets and what kind of room option is best?
    5)how do you actually apply?I have my offer but the track update still hasnt come?
    6)can you stay in halls for 4 years-is it worth it and have any of you moved out with others if so in which yr?
    7)during summer do you give away accomodation if you want to go home and would you then have to apply again for accom?

thanks guys.

ReputationRep:
    you can't choose which hall anymore, other than to pick Raleigh/Broadgate/Uni Park etc.

ReputationRep:
    You could answer most of those questions yourself with a tiny bit of research on the Uni website.
    Probably better to do that than rely on other people!

www.nottingham.ac.uk/acc

ReputationRep:
    1) is there first come first serve policy and which is the best catered halls? The earlier you apply for accommodation, the earlier your application is processed. If you want a certain room type, for example en-suite, you may find they have all gone if you apply for accommodation later than others. In terms of which is the best catered hall, it's all down to personal preference; they all have pretty similar facilities, similar food, similar rooms. Some halls have more people than others so that may be something to consider, but overall it's hard to say which is 'best'. Cripps has it's own gym, Derby has a good bar (cafe by day bar by night), Cavendish is known for being a bit posh (and snobbby)...they all have their little quirks. Your best bet would be to look round if you have the opportunity.
    2)what option do people generally choose catered or non catered? Either; both have their advantages and disadvantages. Catered is good because it's on campus, so you're nearer to lectures and on-site facilities. You don't have to worry about your budget as much in terms of your food is paid for in your fees, so you know no matter what you're going to be fed. There are hall socials and formal dinners which can be fun. However, the food isn't great- it's edible, but nothing outstanding. Also, set meal times mean that if you get up late, are off campus, have placements, etc. you may miss some meals. Self-catered is good, as you can cook for yourself; what you want, when you want. However, it's off-campus which means you can't roll out of bed 5 minutes before lectures, and the social atmosphere may be different to that of catered halls.
    3)is there like a vegeterian or halal option for catered and is it worth it if your a muslim? There is always a vegetarian option, although I'm not sure about halal.
    4)do we have to share toilets and what kind of room option is best? Whether you share toilets or not depends on your room type. Shared singles/ singles/ large singles will mean that you have to share a bathroom with roughly 3-7 other people depending upon which hall/block within the hall you are in. Shared bathroom rooms mean that you share your bathroom with one other person. En-suite rooms have their own bathroom. Again, as to which room option is best depends upon personal prefernce and financial circumstances. En-suites are a lot more expensive than standard single rooms.
    5)how do you actually apply?I have my offer but the track update still hasnt come? You should be sent an information pack on how to apply, but it will be online through the applicant portal (again, details on how to acces the applicant portal should be sent to you if they haven't been already).
    6)can you stay in halls for 4 years-is it worth it and have any of you moved out with others if so in which yr? In general, most people move out of halls after their first year there. Most find houses with friends in one of the surrounding areas. You can live in halls after your first year, but whether you'd want to be stuck with the new intake of freshers every year is questionable.
    7)during summer do you give away accomodation if you want to go home and would you then have to apply again for accom? If you're in catered halls, your fees only cover term-time accommodation, so if you want to stay over the holidays you would have to pay more. That means you haven't paid for over the summer holidays anyway. I'm not so sure about the length of the contract for self-catered halls. Either way, I think you need to apply for halls every year you want to stay in them.
    I hope that helps. These details are all correct as far as I know; I am in catered halls this year, so had to apply last year. However, things may have changed slightly since I applied last year so apologies if it's not all the same

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.