The Student Room Group

Sheffield Hallam adult nursing interview on sat 16th at 1pm

Ive got an interview on saturday at 1 for adult nursing has anyone else got one there sat too. I am so nervous, i want to get on the course there so much and dont want to blow it.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi! I was at Sheffield a couple of weeks ago and I was really nervous too. The interview is very relaxed, just a few questions about what your currently doing, what experience you have, why you want to be a nurse, current issues etc, you have to do a short presentation which was fine too. Don't worry just try to relax and be yourself! Good luck :smile:
Reply 2
thank you.
Just wondering what sort of scenarios do you get in the group work/presentation? i dont work in a healthcare setting havent got loads of experience but wondering if its anything i will know
Reply 3
Basically you will be split into about 4 groups of 4 - 6 people, each person gets a scenario - mine was a carer support group for people with dementia, some of the others were things like a 19 year old boy who was disabled after a car crash and wanted funding to go to college, abused children, a support bus for prostitues, things like that. The uni staff will tell you that there is a pot of money but it can only go to 1 of the scenarios. Within your group you have to decide which scenario you want to present to the other groups. Each group presents their scenario (you are only expected to talk for 30 seconds - 1 minute) and then at the end everyone votes for which one they think should get the money. I was really worried about the presentation part of the interview, but after i had done it, i quite enjoyed it! I dont work in health care either and you get most of the information that you will need from the scenario sheet that you get, so try not to worry! :smile:
Reply 4
thats put my mind at rest a bit, do they ask you any scenarios in your one to one interview? i need to think of some good answers, hope i remember what am going to say
Reply 5
I got asked to imagine i had an elderly female patient on my ward who had a broken leg and was bed bound. I had to say what i might need to do for her that morning, how she might be feeling and then say what qualities the patient would expect me to have. I'm sure you will remember when the time comes! :smile:
Reply 6
what sort of answers would you give to that about the qualities .. empathy, kindness, caring, good listener that type of thing
Reply 7
Yep!:smile:
Reply 8
this site is great isnt it i feel a bit better prepared. wonder how long it takes to find out afterwards
Reply 9
Before my interviews i used this site to help prepare for them! There is some good information and advice about what questions will be asked. They told us it would be 3 - 4 weeks before we found out, but i had a reply within 4 days. Where else have you applied to? :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 10
i am taking it you have a place? i applied to lincoln and york too, got knock back from York and had an interview at Lincoln still not heard yet but its sheff hallam i really want and its closer for me as am a mature student and will be travelling in each day.
Did you feel a bit more confident going into it knowing a little of what they may ask you from here, will it help to look up nhs in the media at moment too? was going to mentiion the job cuts if i get asked.
Reply 11
I have a conditional offer for the degree at sheffield :smile: which i was very pleased about! I applied to York... i had an interview but they have said they don't have any places left for this year but i can wait to see if anyone drops out. I am also a mature student and will be travelling each day, i was thinking of getting the train though because the price of petrol and parking will be a lot i imagine! I was very nervous at my interviews although i had read a few bits on here which made me feel a bit more prepared. You definatly need to look at current issues in the news because i got asked to discuss that in my interview. Job cuts is the one i mentioned too! :smile:
Reply 12
I live in doncaster so am hoping to get sheffield as its where i really want. well done on getting a place. Have you any kids? I have 2, am 30.
Was the one to one interview quite informal, do they ask about why you want to be a nurse etc..
I am going to get the train too, i think it will work out much cheaper
Reply 13
Thank you :smile: No i dont have any kids. The individual interview was very informal, the staff and students all seem very nice too. Yes i think they did ask why i wanted to be a nurse, i think there was about 5 questions altogether. Let me know how you get on and Good Luck :smile: i'm sure you will be great!
Reply 14
hopefully i will come across well, thanks so much for your help
Reply 15
Morgan, I`m also 30, I`ve got 2 kids.. and I`m having an interview on Sat 16th Apr... very nervous.. I didn`t apply anywhere elso, only Hallam.
I`ve done a bit of preparation.. Hope it`s going to help.
i`m actually more afraid of the group work than the interview, for some reason...

Would like to get the place sooooo much :smile:

I hope we will all be succesful!
Hi there =)
Have you had any other interviews?
I had my interview at Sheff Hallam the 1st of aprill, an was a bit nervous but by then it was my 3rd interview so i somewhat knew what to expect.

Just try to stay calm, an if it helps you to go over potential questions and answers in your head.
Basically what other people have said, the individual interviews were about 5 questions, an quite informal, I had two people interviewing me. They were the general "why you want to be a nurse, whats a nurses role, what would you do in this situation"...etc.
Also be prepared to make yourself look good when they ask "so why should we choose you"...i found it an aweful question lol, all my revised answers in my head just dissapeared, so i think i started rambling a bit xD

An the group task is as Grace.b has described :smile:
I really enjoyed the group task, just make sure to be confident and try to speak your points well.
Then when presenting again try to speak well and clearly.

Also as for how long to hear from them they said 3-4 weeks, but i heard from them in about a week.
I have a conditional offer from them but still deciding between them and hull.

Good luck, sure you will be fine :smile:
Reply 17
hi morgan8080 and ColdInWinter
I have a interview on april 16th ...tomorrow! at 1
Im starting to feel nervous now, but at the same time quite excited
Im more nervous about the individual interview because everything will dissapear in my head when it comes to all the questions I have revised.

nichola
Reply 18
you guys do realise that there's a better uni in the same city? :wink:
Reply 19
sheffield uni doesnt do nursing degree:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending