Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Grades = intelligence? watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

First off I'd like to establish that I'm kind of intelligent, I may not be a candidate for Oxbridge or anything, however I've always been in the top sets, put on the 'Gifted and Talented' register (which I think is pointless, but yeah) and quite academically bright.

However I've never really achieved the grades I've been predicted or want to achieve, not necessarily failing, mainly B's and a few A's, however I never really perform to my expectation or anyone else's expectation as I always have teachers asking me why I never performed as well as I 'should have'

It's something which as always annoyed me, especially as in class I generally 'set the pace' (that was taken from my school report) I'm possibly just venting, but it's really frustrating, I genuinely put in all the effort I can (although never really manage time too well, because of other activities, friends etc.) It's just rather annoying I guess.

I got diagnosed with anxiety from a young age, but I'm not going to allow that to be a excuse for under performing.

ReputationRep:
    Grades are more about your ability to memorize the mark schemes

ReputationRep:
    I'm the opposite I'm not smart but seem to get good grades. I'm a MASTER crammer and my brain is like a sponge, I can memorise 6 full essays before and exam and in exam I usually carefully remember my answers. I got 4 A's last year in my A Levels and I'm going to UCL to study Law this September and I'm ****ting myself for when they find out I'm not actually intelligent just a MEGA crammer

EEKKKKKKK

ReputationRep:
    A piece of advice, don't make a thread about it. Get off TSR and get the work done!

ReputationRep:
    Grades aren't just about intelligence, people have to know how to answer the questions and have to actually put the effort in to do reading and stuff as well. You can be the smartest person in the world but if you don't know the **** you're meant to then you're going to get crap grades.

ReputationRep:
    There's so many variables it's impossible to actually answer that. Grades can be achieved by robotically looking at material until it's remembered - note: not learned. There's a big difference between understanding something and remembering it. Unfortunately, grades are all about remembering.

Then there are obviously people that understand certain things and perform well and can get top grades in them.

ReputationRep:
    Grades = intelligence on paper.

ReputationRep:
    I negged you for wasting my time.

ReputationRep:
    I've always got better grades than others who are as intelligent if not more so than me because of a lack of exam nerves and an ability to answer the question. I reckon good exam technique can add a grade or two.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by boromir9111)
    A piece of advice, don't make a thread about it. Get off TSR and get the work done!
    Said the guy with near 6 thousand posts?
    I'm hardly ever on here when I'm working, to be honest, the only reason I've been on lately is because I'm trying not to over do it, and grounded...

ReputationRep:
    Yes and no. You're more like to find intelligent folks near the top grades of the spectrum, but just because you may have had low grades it does not mean you're not as smart as them.

ReputationRep:
    I knew someone who got really high grades, but thought Iraq and Afghanistan were the same place.

ReputationRep:
    Probably a correlation but I don't really know what intelligence means, or what you're referring to. Though I hate the clowns on here who strive to subtley show off about how intelligent they are because they "don't do much work but still get top marks "

ReputationRep:
    Intelligence has many factors.

Knowledge is but one of them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shortarse1)
    I knew someone who got really high grades, but thought Iraq and Afghanistan were the same place.
    They're both in Helmand.

ReputationRep:
    Grades are how hard you work, and how well you can write down what you know, not necessarily how intelligent you are.

ReputationRep:
    Nah I wouldn't say so. And another thing is, intelligence does not equal success.

However, A's are good grades, nothing to complain about there. You said you have time management problems, maybe that's what you might want to work on? You'll be surprised how much an extra 10 minutes of studying a day can do to your grades. Just go over the days notes or lessons and bam, better grades like that.

But you also sound like a busy person and that's good. I wouldn't give up extracurricular activities just to get better grades as I personally find it is harder to pick up extracurricular activities than to get better grades.

Btw, your teachers sound like pricks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hazelsaurus)
    Hi,

First off I'd like to establish that I'm kind of intelligent, I may not be a candidate for Oxbridge or anything, however I've always been in the top sets, put on the 'Gifted and Talented' register (which I think is pointless, but yeah) and quite academically bright.

However I've never really achieved the grades I've been predicted or want to achieve, not necessarily failing, mainly B's and a few A's, however I never really perform to my expectation or anyone else's expectation as I always have teachers asking me why I never performed as well as I 'should have'

It's something which as always annoyed me, especially as in class I generally 'set the pace' (that was taken from my school report) I'm possibly just venting, but it's really frustrating, I genuinely put in all the effort I can (although never really manage time too well, because of other activities, friends etc.) It's just rather annoying I guess.

I got diagnosed with anxiety from a young age, but I'm not going to allow that to be a excuse for under performing.
    A-Levels are only a partial measure of intelligence.

A-Levels measure : intelligence, dedication to work, ability to manage a workload, motivation, memory, etc

If A-Levels were a measure of intelligence, and a measure of intelligence only, then they would be tests of pure raw intelligence.

Anyone can get an A with the right amount of work. Universities aren't necessarily looking for the most talented candidates, as A-Levels don't sort the most talented candidates from the rest. A-Levels sort those who can deal with the workload, nothing more.

If you can get an A, it might mean you're very intelligent. It may also mean that you can work hard, with dedication and learn the material.

I don't consider myself intelligent and I'm predicted A*A*B

ReputationRep:
    The majority of people who get good grades are intelligent, insofar as they realize their situation and that which may benefit them later in life.
    The majority of people who get bad grades are not academically intelligent, though, as we all know, there are multiple areas of intelligence.

ReputationRep:
    Not necessarily - nowadays with awarding bodies like AQA, you could memorise the mark schemes and get full marks / UMS, which doesn't not require a lot of effort or intelligence - just the ability to source the past papers and their mark schemes.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.