Turn on thread page Beta

Grades = intelligence? watch

ReputationRep:
    I'd say a lot of the time, intelligent people get good grades and less intelligent people don't. However, grades aren't a reliable indicator of intelligence at all. You can be as clever as you want but if you're bad at memorising stuff for exams, you let the pressure get to you or don't have great exam technique, you're f***ed.

ReputationRep:
    A large majority of intelligent people have top grades. Likewise, a lot of people with top grades are very intelligent. But not all intelligent people have top grades, and not everyone with top grades is very intelligent. I normally see it as an indicator of intelligence, rather than anything that proves intelligence

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shortarse1)
    I knew someone who got really high grades, but thought Iraq and Afghanistan were the same place.
    How is knowing pointless facts intelligence? Surely you don't define intelligence as knowing a collection of stuff.

(Original post by hazelsaurus)
    It's something which as always annoyed me, especially as in class I generally 'set the pace' (that was taken from my school report) I'm possibly just venting, but it's really frustrating, I genuinely put in all the effort I can (although never really manage time too well, because of other activities, friends etc.) It's just rather annoying I guess.
    You set the pace probably means you are the person who thinks they know everything in the class, but is in fact very annoying. AAA is easy if you are intelligent. I managed to easily get three A's even in further maths that is meant to be one of the hardest you can get.

Maybe, you are pseudo intellectual.

ReputationRep:
    I knew someone who got really high grades, but thought Iraq and Afghanistan were the same place.
    Were those high grades in geography?

ReputationRep:
    the thing is, if grades arent a measure of intelligence and mean nothing, why are the people who say that usually not the people who get straight A*s?

edit: im not saying that grades are the best indicator, but if you can get 5 A*s at a level without busting a gut and without memorising mark schemes, i dont think its fair to say that it counts for nothing..

ReputationRep:
    Intelligence is somewhat of a broad subject. You could consider Andy Warhol an intelligent person, as you can with Einstein. Intelligence imo is a balance of creativity, reasoning, planning, problem solving, self-awareness, appreciation of the things you have, precision, accuracy, attention to detail etc... There are so many factors to balance in - while grades do test this somewhat, i don't think they test you as much as they should.

ReputationRep:
    was it father dougal?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gwalchgwyn)
    You could consider Andy Warhol an intelligent person
    not with any ranking system based on logic

ReputationRep:
    grades =/= intelligence by any stretch.
    It is entirely possible to get top grades by just rote learning, which requires no intelligence.

However, since intelligence makes it EASIER to get top grades, there is some rough correlation.

ReputationRep:
    At the risk of failing an intelligence test, I would like to know how to view signatures

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SteveCrain)
    not with any ranking system based on logic
    So an art GCSE is based on logic? What about a design a level?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gwalchgwyn)
    So an art GCSE is based on logic? What about a design a level?
    Let's rewind to the time when I said an art or design GCSE or A level was a logical intelligence rank system....

Definitely not! Grades =/= intelligence (but there is a weak positive correlation, with some anomalies).

There is a reason why Oxbridge interview (+ entrance tests and the like).

ReputationRep:
    why are you on a health and relationships forum?! This is completely irrelevant...

ReputationRep:
    I could be an interesting case in point for this question...up until GCSEs I got fairly mediocre grades (Bs and low As in the main throughout my school career, a smattering of Cs), 3A*s 5As and 3Bs at GCSE.

That changed at A Level purely because my attitude towards education changed. I got interested in the material I was studying, and interested in learning it properly, not just to the extent that I could spew it onto an exam page at the end of the year and be done with it.

That made me work not just harder but smarter, learning how I learnt and how I could utilize time more effectively. I also learnt to utilize assignments to help me remember things and learn techniques, rather than just doing them for the sake of meeting the deadline and not being "given a talking to".

Just my experience, but I would say the difference between getting mediocre grades and top grades for me was becoming interested in learning beyond grades. Imo it's less about intelligence (I didn't become any more intelligent, just utilized it differently), and more about motivation. There is obviously some degree of intelligence involved though.

ReputationRep:
    It's not that linear but grades are a good measure of one's intelligence. Of course there are those cases of people that get low grades but are really intelligent. Those are, however, the exceptions, not the rule.
    As an example, I think that on average, the intelligence of the people in my course matches the grades needed to get in.

ReputationRep:
    Well a lot of people think that good grades = intelligence (which isn't completely untrue). However, I wouldn't consider myself not intelligent, not the brightest, but there are certain areas that I excel in.

I NEVER do good in exams. I find I'm giddy with happiness if I get a B and I rarely get any A's. I dunno what it is, but I've ALWAYS done better in coursework than actual exams. I get really high grades in essays for example (esp in anything Health and Social Care association) but then I do average in exams and nothing special or wow. Lucky for me I've been able to balance out the two for an overall grade (in 6th form subjects anyway).

Maybe it's down to my learning technique or the fact that when I study, the info I learn for exams never stays long in my head, Idk, it's just the way it is with me!

ReputationRep:
    I'm not intelligent, just good at exams. To make it worse, I want to do medicine, where true intelligence is needed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cheesecakefactory)
    I want to do medicine, where true intelligence is needed.
    Only to get in
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by ilickbatteries)
    Anyone can get an A with the right amount of work. Universities aren't necessarily looking for the most talented candidates, as A-Levels don't sort the most talented candidates from the rest. A-Levels sort those who can deal with the workload, nothing more.
    Thats not really true. I personally knew a few people in my year who had extra tuition in all subjects, did a LOT of work and only managed Cs and Ds, even with retakes. Unis look for people who are talented AND who can manage the workload.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.