Turn on thread page Beta

Grades = intelligence? watch

(Original post by FrostyLemon)
    An example

Me: Educated at a state school in east London, achieved mostly Cs in my GCSEs
    Friend: Educated at a private school in north London, achieved mostly As/Bs in his GCSEs

We both are on the same course at university, so far in our modules I have two firsts and he has two lower second class honours.

?
    One anecdote does not buck the trend.

ReputationRep:
    I do not think your grades are a valid representation of your intelligence. It's 1/3 intelligence 2/3 effort (according to a study my history teacher was on about).

Your grade is down to the effort you put in, not necessarily your intelligence. I do not believe that people can get top marks (90%) in A levels/degrees, without revising and just listening in class.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oprah)
    Your grade is down to the effort you put in, not necessarily your intelligence. I do not believe that people can get top marks (90%) in A levels/degrees, without revising and just listening in class.
    youre very wrong about a levels, dont know about degrees

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RK92)
    youre very wrong about a levels, dont know about degrees
    Well I don't. You try doing loads of A levels and getting over 90% overall in all them. I bet you wont do it, unless you revise.

Your grade just shows how much effort you put in, which is why i back the idea of your grade being at least 2/3 effort.

ReputationRep:
    No, not really.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FrostyLemon)
    An example

Me: Educated at a state school in east London, achieved mostly Cs in my GCSEs
    Friend: Educated at a private school in north London, achieved mostly As/Bs in his GCSEs

We both are on the same course at university, so far in our modules I have two firsts and he has two lower second class honours.

?
    Doesn't suprise me.. my head of sixth form gave an assembly on this (bizarre, i know) but he said that it's often the case that when private school students go to university their grades suffer because they have spend their whole school career being spoon fed and prepped excessively for every little thing that they become almost incapable of independent learning and have to adjust.

Well done on the firsts, by the way

ReputationRep:
    No they don't measure intelligence at all. Quality of teaching is, to my mind, a major issue. I'll use a personal example. On my English exam I got an E so I put in for a resit. A few nights before the exam (without revision as I don't know how to revise) a friends mother gave me an hours worth of advice and I got an A

ReputationRep:
    I noticed this a little. I'm doing 2 advanced highers this year and i noticed that there is a huge difference between the level of difficulty and the way you are taught between highers and advanced highers. And infact i asked my lecturer about this and he confirmed that the advanced highers system (i.e the way it is taught and the way you have to learn) are the same as what the way you are taught in university (at least in the 2 subjects i'm doing). Essentially in advanced highers you are taught to find the answer, whereas in highers you are taught the answer. Therefore to get an A in higher you basically just have to memorise the answer. However in advanced highers you actually need to use your intelectual ability to find the answer, understand it, explain it and possibly critique it.

Which actually explains why there are some people in my advanced higher classes that have a higher A in the subject but seem to know absolutely nothing about the subject :lolwut:, and are really struggling this year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by georgia246)
    Doesn't suprise me.. my head of sixth form gave an assembly on this (bizarre, i know) but he said that it's often the case that when private school students go to university their grades suffer because they have spend their whole school career being spoon fed and prepped excessively for every little thing that they become almost incapable of independent learning and have to adjust.

Well done on the firsts, by the way
    Yeh my lecturer said exactly what you said, the people that stuggle the most in his classes seem to be the ex private school pupils that have been spoon fed.

he actually said it infront of the class and a couple of the ex private school pupils got all uppity about it.

ReputationRep:
    I hate that term, intelligence...I mean I hate the term of IQ.

Yea, because, years ago me and some friends did a IQ test online. I got something like 80, that's like just above vegetables. I'm turning 21 and in Uni and my friends still pick on me for having such a low IQ...*******s.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by U.S Lecce)
    Yeh my lecturer said exactly what you said, the people that stuggle the most in his classes seem to be the ex private school pupils that have been spoon fed.

he actually said it infront of the class and a couple of the ex private school pupils got all uppity about it.
    Doesn't it also depend on the course? I'm ex-private school kid, but I never did the A-Levels. I did the IB, its hard for its own stupid reasons.

ReputationRep:
    Hmm I wouldn't say grades definitely mean you're intelligent. I would argue however that intelligent people would generally see the sense in that working hard could mean the A grade is easily manageable and unintelligent would find it harder to spot that they can get great grades even without being intelligent.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nalced)
    Doesn't it also depend on the course? I'm ex-private school kid, but I never did the A-Levels. I did the IB, its hard for its own stupid reasons.
    Probably yeah.

ReputationRep:
    I think there would be a good correlation, but then of course, how hard you work has a massive impact on your grades.

It's possible to be intelligent but lazy, and hence not get good grades.

ReputationRep:
    Not really, it just summed up what you've learned in that grading. As for me, I have 5 A+'s and 2 A's and 3 B's. Actually, I don't take grades seriously but I still have the highest grade in our class. Grades isn't about intelligence, it's like a test that modifies how far you can go. =)

ReputationRep:
    Grades = Ability to communicate intelligence

ReputationRep:
    Read Outliers by Malcolm Gladwell.

ReputationRep:
    There's a slight correlation between the two but I don't think that it's an absolute causal link, there's a lot of factors that could play a part so I don't think good grades necessarily mean intelligence.

ReputationRep:
    You can get A's without revising. I've always got A's in English without breaking a sweat. If I tried to do that with other subjects which I'm not nearly as good at...well that's what I did and my A levels were ACDE. If only I had a work ethic. lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Simplicity)
    How is knowing pointless facts intelligence? Surely you don't define intelligence as knowing a collection of stuff.
    An awareness of what's going on in the world isn't pointless. This person seen the news report that we'd left Iraq, and asked me why two years later there's still reports of the Army fighting there...

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.