Intelligence has many factors.

Knowledge is but one of them.
    Well said.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The-Real-One)
    They're both in Helmand.
    wtf luv just wtf.

ReputationRep:
    You could write a piece of coursework that sounds brilliant but still get a C because you didn't follow the mark scheme. It's all about making sure you tick every box. In my eyes, that doesn't really make you intelligent.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by futuredoc77)
    Grades are more about your ability to memorize the mark schemes
    Ain't that true

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Watcher7)
    Scores on tests of intelligence are the single best predictor of academic performance.

Academic performance is not a significant predictor of intelligence.

Psychology student, signing out.
    But if scores on intelligence tests predict academic performance

And academic performance does not predict intelligence

This post is a logical fail

ReputationRep:
    I really don't think grades always = intelligence.

I was in the top sets at GCSE and predicted As and Bs, but I didn't achieve those grades for personal reasons which I don't want to discuss on an internet forum! My grades meant I then couldn't get into uni, which I seriously regret.

It makes for awkwardness in job interviews if they ask why my grades are low - I can't really tell them the real reason - real interview killer right there. Flashing red and blue lights to the employer!

Just because someone doesn't have the best GCSEs/A Levels doesn't mean they are stupid or not capable. I regret the way I handled situations as a teenager and not realising the value of GCSE and A Level grades. Now employers look at me as if I have the level of intelligence of a five year old.

ReputationRep:
    grades are about work rate.
    innate smarts only gets you so far.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oprah)
    Well I don't. You try doing loads of A levels and getting over 90% overall in all them. I bet you wont do it, unless you revise.

Your grade just shows how much effort you put in, which is why i back the idea of your grade being at least 2/3 effort.
    Its definitely a lot of effort, I saw my Biology AS go from a C last year to a B this year (with 1 module going from a C to an A) and that was purely down to the hours and HOURS of revision I put in, not because I suddenly gained a huge amount of intelligence in 6 months.

No, my bird got bad grades at A-level (around 160 ucas points) where as i got 300ucas points but you can't tell the difference between us intelligence wise, she's far more clue up with what's going on in the world, it's quite hard to outwit her and she has a lot more common sense than a lot of people i know who go to uni.

Likewise i know people who went to much better universities than me but are thick as sh*t just cos they can store a lot of information for a short amount of time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hazelsaurus)
    Hi,

First off I'd like to establish that I'm kind of intelligent, I may not be a candidate for Oxbridge or anything, however I've always been in the top sets, put on the 'Gifted and Talented' register (which I think is pointless, but yeah) and quite academically bright.

However I've never really achieved the grades I've been predicted or want to achieve, not necessarily failing, mainly B's and a few A's, however I never really perform to my expectation or anyone else's expectation as I always have teachers asking me why I never performed as well as I 'should have'

It's something which as always annoyed me, especially as in class I generally 'set the pace' (that was taken from my school report) I'm possibly just venting, but it's really frustrating, I genuinely put in all the effort I can (although never really manage time too well, because of other activities, friends etc.) It's just rather annoying I guess.

I got diagnosed with anxiety from a young age, but I'm not going to allow that to be a excuse for under performing.
    I am quite the same.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Natsworthy)
    You can get A's without revising. I've always got A's in English without breaking a sweat. If I tried to do that with other subjects which I'm not nearly as good at...well that's what I did and my A levels were ACDE. If only I had a work ethic. lol
    Wow i'm jealous of you and well done! but to be fair English is an A level which you can pass without revising, you just need to be able to know how to structure the exam and remember brief things like poem names and a few quotes, (i'm not saying its an easy a level i think its one of the hardest).

And also, that's 1 A out of 4/3 a levels... Surely to get like 3 A grade A levels you would of had to done a considerable amount of revision.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oprah)
    Wow i'm jealous of you and well done! but to be fair English is an A level which you can pass without revising, you just need to be able to know how to structure the exam and remember brief things like poem names and a few quotes, (i'm not saying its an easy a level i think its one of the hardest).

And also, that's 1 A out of 4/3 a levels... Surely to get like 3 A grade A levels you would of had to done a considerable amount of revision.
    Yeah, I agree. I'd have to say that I fall apart at exams but since I've always done well in English there's no real fear but always a danger nonetheless. Never bothered learning spelling tests earlier on in school either because I didn't need to.

Not saying much though. Maybe if I'd attained more than the one A. Done with exams for now anyway. Deliberately chose a university where the course didn't involve exams.

I think I just got cocky and assumed that because I did so well in one area that it would translate across which it didn't. That and I convinced myself that I was so terrible at exams revision wouldn't make a difference.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PendulumBoB)
    But if scores on intelligence tests predict academic performance

And academic performance does not predict intelligence

This post is a logical fail
    No it's not. It's basic statistics. Just because looking at grass is a good predictor of seeing the colour green doesn't make seeing the colour green a good predictor of looking at grass.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hazelsaurus)
    Hi,

First off I'd like to establish that I'm kind of intelligent, I may not be a candidate for Oxbridge or anything, however I've always been in the top sets, put on the 'Gifted and Talented' register (which I think is pointless, but yeah) and quite academically bright.

However I've never really achieved the grades I've been predicted or want to achieve, not necessarily failing, mainly B's and a few A's, however I never really perform to my expectation or anyone else's expectation as I always have teachers asking me why I never performed as well as I 'should have'

It's something which as always annoyed me, especially as in class I generally 'set the pace' (that was taken from my school report) I'm possibly just venting, but it's really frustrating, I genuinely put in all the effort I can (although never really manage time too well, because of other activities, friends etc.) It's just rather annoying I guess.

I got diagnosed with anxiety from a young age, but I'm not going to allow that to be a excuse for under performing.
    You might be intelligent, but if you're lazy you won't get anywhere.

Besides, you're getting A's and B's even though you don't bother working. Shut up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oprah)
    Well I don't. You try doing loads of A levels and getting over 90% overall in all them. I bet you wont do it, unless you revise.

Your grade just shows how much effort you put in, which is why i back the idea of your grade being at least 2/3 effort.
    well your idea is a massive generalization but partly true in some cases.

i do maths, further maths, physics and chemistry, get 90 in exams and my homework completion is "cause for concern". i really dont do much revision. in some cases, revision will boost your grades significantly but honestly, some people can just do a levels because they guide you through questions (certainly in maths/science) meaning if you havent revised, you can easily figure out what you need to do. your grade doesnt always show how much effort you put in, some people can do a levels without revising because a levels dont stretch anywhere near as much as they should.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RK92)
    well your idea is a massive generalization but partly true in some cases.

i do maths, further maths, physics and chemistry, get 90 in exams and my homework completion is "cause for concern". i really dont do much revision. in some cases, revision will boost your grades significantly but honestly, some people can just do a levels because they guide you through questions (certainly in maths/science) meaning if you havent revised, you can easily figure out what you need to do. your grade doesnt always show how much effort you put in, some people can do a levels without revising because a levels dont stretch anywhere near as much as they should.
    Just because my idea doesn't apply to you, doesn't make it a 'massive generalisation' as you count for a very small proportion of A level students.

I very much doubt the average A level student can achieve 3/4 A*/A grade A levels without put any effort into it, regarding outside of class learning, unless you have like x2 the amount of lessons the normal A level student has. Studies etc have all backed up this idea, because it's said that your brain remembers something like 10 - 20% of what you learn in class, and 10/20% of the course's knowledge, wont exactly get you top marks...

I'm sure there are cases where people (as amazing as yourself) have had luck in the exams or really good teachers, but they count as very small proportion of people who take A levels - as if this was the case, there would be a hell of a lot more people achieving top marks.

ReputationRep:
    Common sense is as equal as academics.

Poll
Cats or dogs?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.