Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by garlicbreadman)
    I have booked my UKCAT and there will be 3 'empty' days between my UKCAT and the course, do you think this is alright to do all the practise materials?

Arghh, annoying to see someone got a lower score, I don't know how I would cope with that!
    I think I left about a week between the course and the test, this gave me enough time to do all of the online questions.
    Even a few points boost is probably worth it - a £200 course to make you far more likely to get the career of your choice.
    As for the lower score, i have no clue what happened - You CAN'T get worse from doing practise questions, and the 5 or so full UKCAT exams that you end up with after the course are perfect for getting the hang of things.
    https://www.kaptest.co.uk/ukcat/course

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by garlicbreadman)
    oh, still not too bad.

I didnt go on it last year but since I am reapplying, I want to do everything I can to improve my UKCAT only because it was so low (615).

I dont know what to doooooo. I dont want to get a rubbish score again and kick myself for not doing the course :cry2:
    The reason I went this year because I wanted to cover every base... I found the practice material very useful!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stroppyninja)
    I think I left about a week between the course and the test, this gave me enough time to do all of the online questions.
    Even a few points boost is probably worth it - a £200 course to make you far more likely to get the career of your choice.
    As for the lower score, i have no clue what happened - You CAN'T get worse from doing practise questions, and the 5 or so full UKCAT exams that you end up with after the course are perfect for getting the hang of things.
    The problem with a course is that you expect someone to tell you what to do. The UKCAT is more about aptitude and understanding at a personal level and in my opinion you'd be better off spending the day instead practising at home using whatever material you can find.

ReputationRep:
    Those people who say Kaplan isn't good need to attend a session at the psychiatrists. Last year for 2010 apply, I got 630 ukcat and i did almost all the books I can possibly get and still managed such a poor score. Tbh you will not find any techniques in the ukcat books that are similar to the amazing techniques displayed by Kaplan. They broke down each section so nicely and I think that was the main pivotol point.

BEST OF ALL KAPLAN WAS AMAZING FOR TIME MANAGEMENT and for 2011 application, I had a lot of time still left in the exam and got 710 UKCAT!!!!! ( 80 more than before)

My breakdown in 2010 apply: 540 VR, 660 QR, 620 AR, 700 DA
    2011 BREAKDOWN: 590 VR, 830 QR, 760 AR, 660 DA

Honestly it was so helpful- its only 260 quid which isn't much and i still got more books this year. You will regret it if you don't go, especially when ur struggling on TIMING and lack of technique. Plus all the Kaplan teachers need to get 700+ ukcat themselves in order to be qualified- so they know wat they're on about.

ReputationRep:
    In the end I've now firmed an unconditional offer from Barts and put Peninsula as insurance, and withdrew from Kings after interview.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Astin Martin)
    In the end I've now firmed an unconditional offer from Barts and put Peninsula as insurance, and withdrew from Kings after interview.
    for medicine or dentistry?

thanks for your advice
    noww i'm definitely going to gooo

ReputationRep:
    Those people who say Kaplan isn't good need to attend a session at the psychiatrists. Last year for 2010 apply, I got 630 ukcat and i did almost all the books I can possibly get and still managed such a poor score. Tbh you will not find any techniques in the ukcat books that are similar to the amazing techniques displayed by Kaplan. They broke down each section so nicely and I think that was the main pivotol point.

BEST OF ALL KAPLAN WAS AMAZING FOR TIME MANAGEMENT and for 2011 application, I had a lot of time still left in the exam and got 710 UKCAT!!!!! ( 80 more than before)

Honestly it was so helpful- its only 260 quid which isn't much and i still got more books this year. You will regret it if you don't go, especially when ur struggling on TIMING and lack of technique. Plus all the Kaplan teachers need to get 700+ ukcat themselves in order to be qualified- so they know wat they're on about.
    Thanks, obvously nothing can guarantee an increase in score, but I am definitely doing this so I dont have any regrets later.

How many days did u need after the course?
    My ukcat is quite soon under a week after the kaplan course.

Glad to hear ur views, appreciate it

ReputationRep:

Your VR score is not that much greater and most likely due to the fact it was the second time you took the exam and therefore had more preparation. For QR, the key is timing, but you dont need to pay £260 to understand that you only have 30s per question. Second time round you would have learnt the lesson from the first time. AR is just luck. And your DA score didn't increase.

In my opinion one would be better off doing more practice at home that spend £260. Of course it's useful, anything is useful. But not worth the money when you can get the same benefit for cheaper elsewhere.

And the fact taht KAPLAN tutors have to have 700+ means nothing. Just because you are good at something doesn't mean you can explain it. And there are things such as AR taht you just get or you don't.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rudyrabbit)
    Your VR score is not that much greater and most likely due to the fact it was the second time you took the exam and therefore had more preparation. For QR, the key is timing, but you dont need to pay £260 to understand that you only have 30s per question. Second time round you would have learnt the lesson from the first time. AR is just luck. And your DA score didn't increase.

In my opinion one would be better off doing more practice at home that spend £260. Of course it's useful, anything is useful. But not worth the money when you can get the same benefit for cheaper elsewhere.

And the fact taht KAPLAN tutors have to have 700+ means nothing. Just because you are good at something doesn't mean you can explain it. And there are things such as AR taht you just get or you don't.
    This was my thinking last year but since I am reapplying, I want to do everything possible to maximise my chances

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by haleem)
    The reason I went this year because I wanted to cover every base... I found the practice material very useful!!
    Hi Haleem, I would like to buy kaplan material if you still have it.PLEASE let me know the cost u can offer.

ReputationRep:
    I would like to buy kaplan ukcat test material if anybody wants to sell it .Please contact me if you would like to sell.

Sincerely.
    Anni

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anni1)
    I would like to buy kaplan ukcat test material if anybody wants to sell it .Please contact me if you would like to sell.

Sincerely.
    Anni
    Get in touch with molly2000, I know she is trying to flog her BMAT stuff at a very decent price.

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm also thinking of going to their course. However I would like to ask anyone who has been before, what is the average size of a class room and how many other students are also present? Is there just one teacher?

ReputationRep:
    Hi, just wondered if anyone who did it, had done lots of prep before? Im thinking of doing the course but worried that it will make me confused as they give me their techniques and i have some that i have got from practising on my own. Did anyone found it did any harm to do the kaplan course?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ameelia22)
    Hey, really sorry if there's a thread already like this out, I just wanted to know if anyone here has done the KAPLAN online course, and how the found it, and how they ended up scoring in the UKCAT? As far as i'm aware, it boasts their average student getting average of 700+.

[Seriously? Negging me? All I did was ask...sheesh..]
    I have never done it but I have heard good things about. Even if it is not totally liked by people on this thread, I don't think it would do any harm. If the money isn't an issue then I'd say do it, even if it helps a little bit then that could make the difference between a place and no place!

ReputationRep:
    I went on the Kaplan UKCAT course and although maybe a little pricey, if you can afford it I won't certainly recommend it. To be honest I would have paid the £200 odd quid just for the 5 practice tests at the end. They are by far the most useful practice I've seen anywhere and simulate the real thing relatively well with the tests being comparable in difficultly. If you feel uneasy about the test or if you need a confidence booster then I would certainly go on it. If nothing else you're spending two pretty full days revising for the exam when otherwise you'd maybe have done an hour or two in the same space of time. Although the teaching technique becomes predictable quickly, it ensures you cover each section in enough depth and their techniques, especially for the Abstract Reasoning worked. The hardest thing about the UKCAT is the timing and they do instil a good "rhythm" for each section which you would do well to stick to. I would advise YES to the course, it's a good resource and will, I'm sure, raise your score somewhat.

I did the test this year. I averaged 760, and I'm sure Kaplan helped!

ReputationRep:
    Hey I got 670 the first time round and need to reapply. do you think the kaplan course would make a significant improvement on my score and make it worth it?

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know if they are courses like this for the gamsat

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HaQ_mAn_)
    Hey I got 670 the first time round and need to reapply. do you think the kaplan course would make a significant improvement on my score and make it worth it?
    Don't bother get medify.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hippokrates)
    Don't bother get medify.
    Medify alot better in your opinion?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: October 5, 2015

University open days

• University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • University of Sheffield
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.