Turn on thread page Beta

Arctic Monkeys New Song - 'Don't Sit Down 'Cause I Moved The Chair' watch

ReputationRep:
    What do you think? I really like it, still 'Americanized' but its good.

ReputationRep:
    Pure awesomeness. I think I jizzed a little in my pants when I first heard it. It seems to carry on from the last album, but it's even more dark and heavy, proggy almost, but it's also immediate and kinda poppy. I also got a bit of a trip hop vibe from it for some reason. I remember when Crying Lightning came out and how long it took for me to like that but with this I love it already. They're drawing from their influences but still managing to stay original. And 'Americanized'? Americanised surely? But yeah people keep saying that but I really don't see it. Heavier and darker doesn't mean American. Where are Black Sabbath from? I much prefer Arctic Monkeys like this and I prefer signs of progression. Not just mindless rehashing of previous albums. Also the title is the most brilliant song title I've ever seen.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scrubby)
    Pure awesomeness. I think I jizzed a little in my pants when I first heard it. It seems to carry on from the last album, but it's even more dark and heavy, proggy almost, but it's also immediate and kinda poppy. I also got a bit of a trip hop vibe from it for some reason. I remember when Crying Lightning came out and how long it took for me to like that but with this I love it already. They're drawing from their influences but still managing to stay original. And 'Americanized'? Americanised surely? But yeah people keep saying that but I really don't see it. Heavier and darker doesn't mean American. Where are Black Sabbath from? I much prefer Arctic Monkeys like this and I prefer signs of progression. Not just mindless rehashing of previous albums. Also the title is the most brilliant song title I've ever seen.
    Americanised even. Thanks

I just keep hearing flickers of QOTSA and Weezer in their music, and its a good thing! I'm not complaining about it being 'Americanised' but i was just pointing out it is, in my opinion.

I really like the way they're going, and this song just keeps getting better and better every time i listen to it. Can't wait for June 6th.

ReputationRep:
    I like it!
    Same as Brick by Brick, not a lot of complex lyrics but there is something about it which I can't just stop listening to it!

ReputationRep:
    Alex Turner is wittier than this song

ReputationRep:
    Still prefer the witty observational humour of the first album. Nothing since has come close.

ReputationRep:
    It seems so far as if the album is gonna be something that you can dance to rather than one you'd commit suicide to, I like how they appear to be very guitar orinated. I'd say it sounds as though it belongs somewere between The first and second album,

ReputationRep:
    From the BBC R1 interview they said the album is a mixture of all three albums and a few new tracks. They said it's more of a 'mash up' without having a one road album.

Alex said there will be some observational humor songs on the album but he also admitted he would never be able to recreate songs off their early albums just due to him being a different person to what he was 5 years ago.

If you want to listen to the full interview, its on iPlayer, Monday 11th, Zane Lowes show about 25minutes in

ReputationRep:
    I'm not so sure. I'm not going to judge it yet because I haven't listened to it enough, but so far it's a little disappointing, especially since Submarine EP is so perfect. I didn't like Crying Lightning at first, and now I love it, so I guess I'll have to suck it and see.

ReputationRep:
    I have to say I'm disapointed on the songs from Submarine will be on the album as it doesn't sound like it belongs with the likes of brick by brick and DSDCIMYC.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ArtGoblin)
    I'm not so sure. I'm not going to judge it yet because I haven't listened to it enough, but so far it's a little disappointing, especially since Submarine EP is so perfect. I didn't like Crying Lightning at first, and now I love it, so I guess I'll have to suck it and see.
    :ahee:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wildrover)
    I have to say I'm disapointed on the songs from Submarine will be on the album as it doesn't sound like it belongs with the likes of brick by brick and DSDCIMYC.
    It may be a different version to the one you heard on the Submarine EP..
    They could have already written Piledriver Waltz and then Turner could have changed it to suit the setting for the Submarine film.

ReputationRep:
    Being a huge Arctic Monkeys fan myself from the start I was really disappointed with both DSDCIMYC and Brick by Brick. this may be the first Arctic album I won't buy, though the Submarine EP shows Alex still has his lyrical ability that seemed to go missing in DSDCIMYC and Brick by Brick. In my opinion Alex has done anything worth listening to since The Age of The Understatement.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by James94)
    Being a huge Arctic Monkeys fan myself from the start I was really disappointed with both DSDCIMYC and Brick by Brick. this may be the first Arctic album I won't buy, though the Submarine EP shows Alex still has his lyrical ability that seemed to go missing in DSDCIMYC and Brick by Brick. In my opinion Alex has done anything worth listening to since The Age of The Understatement.
    He said there will be some lyrical based songs on the album

I think you could like BbB and DSDC... if you just listen to the songs, not expecting amazing lyrics. They're still good instrumental songs, well in my opinion

ReputationRep:
    I can't help but agree with the comparisons with QOTSA. I'm liking the new sound.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gummers)
    He said there will be some lyrical based songs on the album

I think you could like BbB and DSDC... if you just listen to the songs, not expecting amazing lyrics. They're still good instrumental songs, well in my opinion
    Well that's good to hear, perhaps I was a bit quick to form an opinion, hopefully the more lyrical ones will be a return to form. I do see how you could like their new stuff, it's just not for me. Opinion is opinion after all.

The sound on that song is quite or is it just me?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gummers)
    It may be a different version to the one you heard on the Submarine EP..
    They could have already written Piledriver Waltz and then Turner could have changed it to suit the setting for the Submarine film.
    I read that it's a reworked version on the album. I hope it doesn't ruin it!

(Original post by Swell)
    I just keep hearing flickers of QOTSA ... in their music

Make sense since Homme worked with them recently.
    I liked Brick By Brick a lot more than this song, I'm a little bod by it.

ReputationRep:

There's a video. Alex looks like Liam Gallagher. Ugh. That video just made me like the song less. And the only reason people keep making comparisons to QOTSTA is because Josh Homme produced the last album and Alex said they were one of his favourite bands. It's really annoying because I don't think they've influenced them much at all. If anything they've been influenced by The Strokes far more yet nobody kicks up a fuss about that. And I think I've seen about two covers of The Strokes by them as well as the IBYLGOTDF video being a Last Nite rip off.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.