Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why the HELL is David Cameron trying to "be down" with black people. Watch

ReputationRep:
    Firstly I am Black.
    Read this first: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti....html?ITO=1490

Why is David Cameron suddenly coming out and saying this? Did he not know that this has been happening for years? In my opinion he is just making us look worse, not helping at all. Also did you notice how the article quickly went from black to poor students? David Cameron needs to STFU

ReputationRep:
    If black people don't have the right qualifications and qualitites to get into Oxford how is that Oxfords universities fault.

Fair enough I could have phrased it a little better but the fact of the matter remains.

ReputationRep:
    'I was in Plymouth recently and a 40-year-old black man...said, 'I came here when I was six, I've served in the Royal Navy for 30 years, I'm incredibly proud of my country.

'But I'm so ashamed that we've had this out-of-control system with people abusing it so badly'.'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wavey93)
    Firstly I am Black.
    Read this first: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti....html?ITO=1490

Why is David Cameron suddenly coming out and saying this? Did he not know that this has been happening for years? In my opinion he is just making us look worse, not helping at all. Also did you notice how the article quickly went from black to poor students? David Cameron needs to STFU
    What's the problem?

ReputationRep:
    I'm a poor Oxford student but I agree; Cameron needs to shut the **** up.

ReputationRep:
    David "call me Dave" Cameron needs to stop thinking of him self as the britains superman!

ReputationRep:
    Cameron would sell his soul for a good sound-bite. Is this any surprise?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sean2011)
    David "call me Dave" Cameron needs to stop thinking of him self as the britains superman!
    He is just that, and the people need to be saved from their miserable existence.

ReputationRep:
    I'm no fan of his but what's the problem?

ReputationRep:
    I'm Black, and I don't have a problem with DC exposing Oxford.
    I think its disgusting only ONE black person was admitted into Oxford, considering I knew a few black people who applied and had the right credentials to get in.

Guess its colour not credentials eh?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Martyn*)
    He is just that, and the people need to be saved from their miserable existence.
    David Cameron has as much chance of saving the people as Gordon Brown did trying to win the last election! None!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ash121)
    I think its disgusting only ONE black person was admitted into Oxford, considering I knew a few black people who applied and had the right credentials to get in.

Oxford said that Cameron got his source wrong, there are actually about 30 black people in oxford, Cameron was reffering to the one person who put "Black British" and did not take into account "Mixed race" or other Black ethnic groups....

ReputationRep:

How do they know? Do they ask for a profile pic? Unless you mean the interviewers are racist and cross their name off as soon as they find out they're black?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rob9292)
    Oxford said that Cameron got his source wrong, there are actually about 30 black people in oxford, Cameron was reffering to the one person who put "Black British" and did not take into account "Mixed race" or other Black ethnic groups....
    30? lol you could fit them all into a classroom, this is a university of 20,000

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CombineHarvester)
    How do they know? Do they ask for a profile pic? Unless you mean the interviewers are racist and cross their name off as soon as they find out they're black?
    I do think its the interviewers, because most people I knew got rejected after the interview stage

ReputationRep:
    30? lol you could fit them all into a classroom, this is a university of 20,000
    yea i dunno what the actual number is, but its around that i was told

ReputationRep:

What do you mean by 'right credentials'? Some people have AAAA and get rejected from Oxford.

David Cameron didn't expose anything. The fact that a small number of black applicants were admitted is not substantial evidence to prove racism, especially when you consider a number of variables including: a) the small number of black people in Britain b) this graph c) the ridiculously high entry standards of Oxford.

In conclusion, there are underlying reasons and for anyone to accuse Oxford of racism is frankly facile and unsubstantiated.

ReputationRep:
    Votes. There's an election campaign for local elections and in Wales and Scotland.

ReputationRep:
    I do think its the interviewers, because most people I knew got rejected after the interview stage
    Have you ever considered for one moment that they wern't good enough?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sean2011)
    David Cameron has as much chance of saving the people as Gordon Brown did trying to win the last election! None!
    Did that one take you long to think up? I mean, really?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 8, 2011
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.