Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

Why the HELL is David Cameron trying to "be down" with black people. watch

ReputationRep:
    It doesn't much look like he is trying to be 'down with' (urgh) anyone. Is he not allowed to mention black people without your approval?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by RamocitoMorales)
    So it is. I was looking at undergraduate numbers.
    Of course, both of those numbers are totally irrelevant here as the figure of 41 is from undergraduates in just one year of entry, not counting people that did not disclose their race. Its 41 out of 2,569.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by im so academic)
    Poor anecdotal evidence. Perhaps the people from the "boys school" were just poor candidates? :dunce:
    Well aren't you the charmer. I never said it was evidence, I just stated that it's odd that every single year no one from that one school gets accepted, and its a really good school. Go find someone else to pick fights with.

ReputationRep:
    he saying it like it is.

(Original post by Mad Cat Lady)
    Well aren't you the charmer. I never said it was evidence, I just stated that it's odd that every single year no one from that one school gets accepted, and its a really good school. Go find someone else to pick fights with.
    Really good school =/= candidates are "right" for Oxbridge

There was nothing wrong with that statement. If you're not good enough for Oxbridge, you don't get in. If no one from that boys' school got in, they weren't good enough. It's not "odd" and it certainly isn't sexist.

ReputationRep:
    Really good school =/= candidates are "right" for Oxbridge

There was nothing wrong with that statement. If you're not good enough for Oxbridge, you don't get in. If no one from that boys' school got in, they weren't good enough. It's not "odd" and it certainly isn't sexist.
    Well I'm sorry but as much as you can't say "oxford unfairly discriminate" you can't say "oxford don't unfairly discriminate". Because we don't know, people can lie.

Well I'm sorry but as much as you can't say "oxford unfairly discriminate" you can't say "oxford don't unfairly discriminate". Because we don't know, people can lie.
    People lie about what?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wavey93)
    Firstly I am Black.
    Read this first: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti....html?ITO=1490

Why is David Cameron suddenly coming out and saying this? Did he not know that this has been happening for years? In my opinion he is just making us look worse, not helping at all. Also did you notice how the article quickly went from black to poor students? David Cameron needs to STFU
    He's a wigger. DJ Davey C 4lyf y'all.

ReputationRep:
    People lie about what?
    Their reasons for rejecting people.

ReputationRep:
    Because they can vote. And he imagines some of them will vote for him.

Why do you say that?

Surely the obvious reason would be "you weren't good enough" irrespective of the specifics (poor interview performance, poor entrance test mark etc)?

ReputationRep:
    For God's sake, the coalition need to stop trying to make universities accept more disadvantaged students - whether that's on race/class/wealth - just because they're disadvantaged. If they're clever, they'll get in. All this bull**** about they should be being offered lower grades is a really stupid idea. "Oh I grew up in South London so I got into Oxford with ABB lol". If they're Oxbridge-standard, the universities will recognise that.

ReputationRep:
    Why do you say that?

Surely the obvious reason would be "you weren't good enough" irrespective of the specifics (poor interview performance, poor entrance test mark etc)?
    Yes what I'm saying is, they can say that but you never know what the actual reason is, unless you can read minds... I'm not saying that they do discriminate, I'm just saying your statement was just as bad as Cameron's.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Bella Occhi)
    If they're clever, they'll get in. All this bull**** about they should be being offered lower grades is a really stupid idea. "Oh I grew up in South London so I got into Oxford with ABB lol". If they're Oxbridge-standard, the universities will recognise that.
    This report from the Sutton Trust shows that the comprehensively educated perform better in their degree than private and grammar school pupils with the same grades. The difference was about equivalent to one grades attainment. Do you not think this justifies a case of, in some instances, making an offer 1 grade below the standard?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nexttime)
    This report from the Sutton Trust shows that the comprehensively educated perform better in their degree than private and grammar school pupils with the same grades. The difference was about equivalent to one grades attainment. Do you not think this justifies a case of, in some instances, making an offer 1 grade below the standard?
    Perhaps for other universities, but not for Oxbridge - people getting offers from them are going to be intuitively and naturally brilliant and I don't believe that giving a lower offer based on class (or whatever) would facilitate the entry of more Oxbridge-standard disadvantaged students - I just think that it'd allow the clever-but-not-Oxbridge-level students to gain places.

(BTW, I'm state school educated - just so I don't come off as a complete snob.)

ReputationRep:
    racism isn't existent before somebody brings it up, in my opinion if a one black person goes to oxford, why does that matter? we are human beings, not defined as different afro/caucasian/asian people. by david cameron bringing this **** up, it makes people scared to be racist, which is racist in itself as people notice when a 'black' person is in the room and don't talk to them like a human being but talk to them in a way that doesn't provoke that they are racist.

It's disgusting that in 2011 there are still arguments and disagreements about race, it makes me sick.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by No Future)
    In what way do the figures support your claim?

er, why do you think??

white people make up roughly 90% of the british population. but, 20% of oxford students are from ethnic minority backgrounds.

you do the math.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ash121)
    I'm Black, and I don't have a problem with DC exposing Oxford.
    I think its disgusting only ONE black person was admitted into Oxford, considering I knew a few black people who applied and had the right credentials to get in.

Guess its colour not credentials eh?
    Or it's credentials and most of us just don't have them!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by humanrights)
    er, why do you think??

white people make up roughly 90% of the british population. but, 20% of oxford students are from ethnic minority backgrounds.

you do the math.
    And Asian students are more likely to get top grades than white students or likely to apply because they have pushier parents than white children

ReputationRep:
    Oxford and other universities do not need to give a reason for rejecting applicants. There is nothing to lie about.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 7, 2011
Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.