Turn on thread page Beta

Why the HELL is David Cameron trying to "be down" with black people. watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by No Future)
    And Asian students are more likely to get top grades than white students or likely to apply because they have pushier parents than white children

yeah, but that wasn't the point was it. you asked how the link proves my point that white people were under represented.

the why is another matter entirely and opens up a whole new topic of debate.

i think oriental people are more intelligent on average because of their race, not because of their upbringing.

ReputationRep:
    The conservatives new motto

'this aint no racial ting, its a black, white, mixed raced, asian ting! :dance:

WINNING! real talk!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JGR)
    Oxford and other universities do not need to give a reason for rejecting applicants. There is nothing to lie about.
    Well exactly, that even further proves my point. Although, I thought when someone gets rejected and they request a reason why, a university is obliged to tell them?

ReputationRep:
    its was racist of him to even bring up such a thing, he is making an issue out of the colour of people's skin. what for? he is a colour blind racist. and i agree with the original poster!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Hakz*)
    I said I agree with what David Cameron said lol. Not the guy on TSR
    One thing I think you might want to think about is that you don't like the explicitly racial terms used by the users you quoted, and yet you yourself use the same terms to make your point.

Wouldn't it be more accurate to say the poor are affected, not just black people?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by humanrights)
    yeah, but that wasn't the point was it. you asked how the link proves my point that white people were under represented.

i think oriental people are more intelligent on average because of their race, not because of their upbringing.
    That is so beyond ignorance, I don't even know why I've bothered.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mad Cat Lady)
    Their reasons for rejecting people.
    Think about it objectively. Oxford is a university in constant competition with the likes of Cambridge, Harvard, Yale, Stanford etc, all of which are vying for the top academics in the world to come to their institution. It has an international reputation for quality education, which it has to maintain if it is to continue receiving the huge amount of funding it currently gets.

It is in their best interests to select the candidates which they believe have the greatest potential succeed in the future. In what way would it benefit them to reject an otherwise worthy applicant based on the fact that he is male and has dark skin?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Mad Cat Lady)
    I thought when someone gets rejected and they request a reason why, a university is obliged to tell them?
    I don't think so

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IchiCC)
    Think about it objectively. Oxford is a university in constant competition with the likes of Cambridge, Harvard, Yale, Stanford etc, all of which are vying for the top academics in the world to come to their institution. It has an international reputation for quality education, which it has to maintain if it is to continue receiving the huge amount of funding it currently gets.

It is in their best interests to select the candidates which they believe have the greatest potential succeed in the future. In what way would it benefit them to reject an otherwise worthy applicant based on the fact that he is male and has dark skin?
    Hehe, yes I believe this agrees with my first statement on this thread... I just like to state both sides of the argument I do philosophy, it just comes naturally to me... But yes I completely agree with you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by King-Panther)
    That is so beyond ignorance, I don't even know why I've bothered.

prove the ignorance then.

you wont be able to.

ReputationRep:

:congrats:

ReputationRep:
    pleasantly unsurprised. to be expected from a right-winged mofo such as cameron

ReputationRep:
    prove the ignorance then.

you wont be able to.
    No but you have. (Proved ignorance that is, just incase you're as dumb as you're ignorant)

ReputationRep:
    i dont think there is any issue with skin colour and entrance into oxbridge universities. the best of candidates get rejected. my friend (who is white) for example. 11 A*'s at GCSE, on track to getting 4A*'s at a level, does endless voluntary work and an all around nice guy. yet he was put into the pool and in the end not chosen. whether this was because they were put off he came from a state school i dont know? its highly competitive at oxbridge universities as we all know, and i dont think for one second that it is due to ones ethnic background that someone is not chosen, however due to whether they have that 'edge' over everyone else

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by King-Panther)
    No but you have. (Proved ignorance that is, just incase you're as dumb as you're ignorant)

so you think sub saharan africans are as intelligent as the chinese people on average? ( the chinese being over 90% han chinese-- so a mono racial group in essence)

thats a wild claim. can you prove it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nibbler12)
    you mad bro?
    thats a wild claim. can you prove it?
    (Original post by comradejon)
    bro, you mad?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TimmonaPortella)

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone considered how many people of each ethinic group apply to oxford? If it's proportional to how many people are accepted then it's pretty fair to me....This is assuming they all had the same stats.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TimmonaPortella)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nibbler12)

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 7, 2011
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.