Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Why the HELL is David Cameron trying to "be down" with black people. watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sean2011)
    David Cameron has as much chance of saving the people as Gordon Brown did trying to win the last election! None!
    He migt not have a chance. But just look at these people. What we need is a dictator.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    to be fair he has a point. i'm not saying ethnic minorities should be let in with lower grades like they were on about for poorer students, but seriously, 22% of the entire student population is really not a lot, and i bet a lot more apply.

(why am i even reading that article, daily fail lol)

ReputationRep:
    keep in mind that oxford always has the same type of people, they're boring, no one i've met from oxford is fun.....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gozatron)
    Have you ever considered for one moment that they wern't good enough?
    I'm not ruling that out, but I'm saying I'm sure there were more than 30 or 40 'decent' black people who applied and could have got in.

ReputationRep:
    Cameron is using statistics unfairly in this case. Only one person identified with the category "black-Caribbean". That isn't sufficient evidence for Cameron's claim.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gozatron)
    Have you ever considered for one moment that they wern't good enough?
    Don't be ridiculous, man! This is TSR, why, everything must be a conspiracy! :holmes:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by ash121)
    Guess its colour not credentials eh?
    I think the statistic applied only to 'black caribbean origin' undergrads, not just black people in general (of which 41 were apparantly admitted). Still, its a big underrepresentation, but that says more about the people applying than the prejudices of the interviewers.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not ruling that out, but I'm saying I'm sure there were more than 30 or 40 'decent' black people who applied and could have got in.
    That's true but everyone who applies to Oxford has the credentials to get in, but they're cases of students with huge amounts of A*'s at both GCSE and A Level being rejected. Takes a little something extra to get into Oxbridge, but it's not being white.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CombineHarvester)
    How do they know? Do they ask for a profile pic? Unless you mean the interviewers are racist and cross their name off as soon as they find out they're black?
    Mixed race is not black.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TruckBear)
    'I was in Plymouth recently and a 40-year-old black man...said, 'I came here when I was six, I've served in the Royal Navy for 30 years, I'm incredibly proud of my country.

'But I'm so ashamed that we've had this out-of-control system with people abusing it so badly'.'
    I remember that beautiful beautiful **** up. Priceless.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CombineHarvester)
    How do they know? Do they ask for a profile pic? Unless you mean the interviewers are racist and cross their name off as soon as they find out they're black?
    Hah, actually Oxbridge do ask for pictures from most candidates.

ReputationRep:
    He's a politician and he wants votes.

Black people don't generally vote for Conservatives.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by storna)
    What do you mean by 'right credentials'? Some people have AAAA and get rejected from Oxford.

David Cameron didn't expose anything. The fact that a small number of black applicants were admitted is not substantial evidence to prove racism, especially when you consider a number of variables including: a) the small number of black people in Britain b) this graph c) the ridiculously high entry standards of Oxford.

In conclusion, there are underlying reasons and for anyone to accuse Oxford of racism is frankly facile and unsubstantiated.
    :gthumb:
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Tbh the man cannot do anything right in the eyes of TSR
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    30? lol you could fit them all into a classroom, this is a university of 20,000
    30 of the year group of home undergrads - that is about 2,600, and then not all of those will have disclosed their race.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by inksplodge)
    to be fair he has a point. i'm not saying ethnic minorities should be let in with lower grades like they were on about for poorer students, but seriously, 22% of the entire student population is really not a lot, and i bet a lot more apply.

(why am i even reading that article, daily fail lol)
    You do know the % of ethnic minorities in Britain? 22% of students is not under-representative at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)
    Tbh the man cannot do anything right in the eyes of TSR
    Not true.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Rob9292)
    Oxford said that Cameron got his source wrong, there are actually about 30 black people in oxford, Cameron was reffering to the one person who put "Black British" and did not take into account "Mixed race" or other Black ethnic groups....
    No - 1 person was 'black caribbean', 26 were 'black'. Including mixed race its more, and in only includes undergraduates, and it only includes people that disclosed their race.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nexttime)
    No - 1 person was 'black caribbean', 27 were 'black british'. Including mixed race its more.
    Sorry, My bad.....

ReputationRep:
    Why aren't we told how many black people applied in the first place, and the standard of those candidates compared to the thousands of others? that's got to be important information in order to interpret the facts we've been given? I'm pretty sure Oxford aren't thick enough to be racist and Cameron should shut up and stop treating us all like idiots who will believe everything he says.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 7, 2011
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.