Turn on thread page Beta

Why the HELL is David Cameron trying to "be down" with black people. watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by inksplodge)
    to be fair he has a point. i'm not saying ethnic minorities should be let in with lower grades like they were on about for poorer students, but seriously, 22% of the entire student population is really not a lot, and i bet a lot more apply.

(why am i even reading that article, daily fail lol)
    22% is not a lot? You do realise that only 10% of the UK population is non-white?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by ash121)
    I'm not ruling that out, but I'm saying I'm sure there were more than 30 or 40 'decent' black people who applied and could have got in.
    Please read Oxford's response to this when it originally came out some months ago: http://www.ox.ac.uk/media/behind_the...es/101307.html

ReputationRep:
    I think he had his first KFC... give him a week... he'll be normal again... or as normal as Cameron can be.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by salty_candy)
    Why aren't we told how many black people applied in the first place, and the standard of those candidates compared to the thousands of others? that's got to be important information in order to interpret the facts we've been given? I'm pretty sure Oxford aren't thick enough to be racist and Cameron should shut up and stop treating us all like idiots who will believe everything he says.
    FYI, black applicants do actually do worse than average. This is for two reasons: one is that they tend to apply to the most competitive subjects. 28% applied for medicine, for example, compared to just 7% of white applicants. The second reason is that more apply in the first place - about half of the 452 black students that got AAA apply to Oxford compared to just 28% of the 29,000 white students.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Limitless)
    If black people don't have the right qualifications and qualitites to get into Oxford how is that Oxfords universities fault.
    No idea why this has been negged - it's a perfectly valid point. Perhaps phrased a little badly, but nonetheless.

ReputationRep:
    This problem stems further down into the education system. Personally I think people should be admitted into Oxbridge based on their academic qualifications alone, not the colour of their skin. Unfortunately the majority of people who do end up there are from private schools in white middle class areas. It's a vicious cycle: money = best schools = best education = best university. If you haven't got the money then your chances of getting into somewhere like Oxford are dramatically reduced. The majority of the middle/upper class are white, hence the massive gulf between ethnic minorities and white people attending such universities.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Inquisitive)
    No idea why this has been negged - it's a perfectly valid point. Perhaps phrased a little badly, but nonetheless.
    You pointed out why yourself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Limitless)
    If black people don't have the right qualifications and qualitites to get into Oxford how is that Oxfords universities fault.
    You, my friend, needs to STFU.

:upyours:

ReputationRep:
    Oh yeah like blasting at Oxford is going to make a massive difference just like with everything else you've dealt with in the past, right Cameron?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Hakz*)
    You, my friend, needs to STFU.

:upyours:
    So it is Oxfords fault? Ok...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wavey93)
    Firstly I am Black.
    Read this first: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti....html?ITO=1490

Why is David Cameron suddenly coming out and saying this? Did he not know that this has been happening for years? In my opinion he is just making us look worse, not helping at all. Also did you notice how the article quickly went from black to poor students? David Cameron needs to STFU
    He wants 0. Not >1

ReputationRep:
    He's not, he is highlighting how the education system is failing lots of people.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by ash121)
    I'm not ruling that out, but I'm saying I'm sure there were more than 30 or 40 'decent' black people who applied and could have got in.
    Ok, you might say that there are a lot of white people there and outnumbered the number of black students at Oxford.

BUT

You complain about more black people getting rejected, what about white people who got rejected? Could they have said anything? ..... Even A*A*A* students could get rejected from Oxbridge. I doubt racism is the case if there are less black students at a uni. They might have the potential, but hey, everyone who apply to Oxbridge have potential, more or less. :dontknow:

You have to think about it relatively, there may have been small number of black people applying to Oxford. Who knows?

PS* I dont like the fact that Cameron started talking about Black people and suddenly link it to poor students though. Ridiculous.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wucker)
    So it is Oxfords fault? Ok...
    I don't care whose fault it is to be honest.

A sensible human being will not make such a racial or unfair statement.

I am black myself and If I had done my best to get the grades needed to get into Oxford, I will not even think of applying there. I am not saying that the university is biased but I do think it discriminates against black people generally. This is one of the main reason why black people are cautious of applying there, not because they do not have the grades needed.

In my opinion, Oxford will always attract and favour middle class white backgrounds than any black background. This is the truth and I really don't give a **** so neg me all you want but it wouldn't solve a thing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sean2011)
    David "call me Dave" Cameron needs to stop thinking of him self as the britains superman!
    Yeah jeez, it's not like he's the most important and powerful person in the whole country.

What a douche he is, trying to solve some of the country's problems!

ReputationRep:

I am black myself and If I had done my best to get the grades needed to get into Oxford, I will not even think of applying there. I am not saying that the university is biased but I do think it discriminates against black people generally. This is one of the main reason why black people are cautious of applying there, not because they do not have the grades needed.

In my opinion, Oxford will always attract and favour middle class white backgrounds than any black background. This is the truth and I really don't give a **** so neg me all you want but it wouldn't solve a thing.
    You condemn him for saying that somebody shouldn't get into Oxford if they are not qualified?

ReputationRep:
    to get into Oxford you need to revise daily to get the top grades and there aren't enough black nerds that are willing to give this kind of commitment

ReputationRep:
    Apparently only about 70 undergrad black people actually obtained good enough grades for Oxford in the country, and Oxford let in about 30-40 of them. Yeh, really "racist" that is. But hey he's a politician, he can't go breaking the mould and telling us the truth now can he.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper

Maybe less number of black people actually applied there?

Thousands of white people get rejected too. :P
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant

A far greater proportion of black students with AAA apply to Oxford than white students with AAA.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 7, 2011
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.