Turn on thread page Beta

Why the HELL is David Cameron trying to "be down" with black people. watch

Announcements
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by street.lovin')
    You have to think about it relatively, there may have been small number of black people applying to Oxford. Who knows?
    Considering they release detailed admissions statistics every year, a lot of people.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by nexttime)
    Considering they release detailed admissions statistics every year, a lot of people.
    How much?

Can you link me to the statistics?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ash121)
    30? lol you could fit them all into a classroom, this is a university of 20,000
    From the 2009 stats DC quoted:

Success rate of home students by known ethnic origin

2,653 Total home student acceptances

Black Caribbean: 1
    Black African: 23
    Black Other: 3

So 27/2653= 1%

Wikipedia Ethnic demography of the United Kingdom

Black Caribbean 1.0%
    Black African 0.8%
    Black (others) 0.2%
    Total: 2%

So the figure isn't really that terrible. Admittedly it's far from good enough, and that should be improved upon through outreach etc, but the figures you're using aren't comparable--undergraduate admissions from one year compared to the body population of undergrads and postgrads.

It's somewhat over that percentage (seems to be something like 1.3%) as a proportion of the student body, though the latest figures are from 2006.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Mad Cat Lady)
    Apparently only about 70 undergrad black people actually obtained good enough grades for Oxford in the country, and Oxford let in about 30-40 of them. Yeh, really "racist" that is. But hey he's a politician, he can't go breaking the mould and telling us the truth now can he.
    Not true - 452 black students got AAA or greater last year. The main reason for not very many getting in is that they tend to apply to the most competitive subjects. 28% applied for medicine, for instance, compared to just 7% of white applicants.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Philosopher-of-sorts)
    From the 2009 stats DC quoted:

Success rate of home students by known ethnic origin

2,653 Total home student acceptances

Black Caribbean: 1
    Black African: 23
    Black Other: 3

So 27/2653= 1%

Wikipedia Ethnic demography of the United Kingdom

Black Caribbean 1.0%
    Black African 0.8%
    Black (others) 0.2%
    Total: 2%

So the figure isn't really that terrible. Admittedly it's far from good enough, and that should be improved upon through outreach etc, but the figures you're using aren't comparable--undergraduate admissions from one year compared to the body population of undergrads and postgrads.

It's somewhat over that percentage (seems to be something like 1.3%) as a proportion of the student body, though the latest figures are from 2006.
    It would have been better to look at the proportion of black students that get AAA and so are at least could go to oxford if they got an offer - this is at about 1.5%. In addition, black students tend to apply for the most competitive subjects (28% applied to medicine, for instance). "Outreach' will not do much about this!

ReputationRep:
    A far greater proportion of black students with AAA apply to Oxford than white students with AAA.
    I've heard that to be true. But I'm just talking from personal experience and not the overall representation.

I can immediately assume that if for example 100 black students and 100 white students apply to study at Oxford, which group do you think would be more admitted into the university even if they do have the required grades? I can guarantee that it wouldn't be the black students. Why? Offcourse we'll never find out
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by street.lovin')
    How much?

Can you link me to the statistics?
    try googling 'Oxford admissions statistics' and clicking the first link...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by storna)
    What do you mean by 'right credentials'? Some people have AAAA and get rejected from Oxford.

David Cameron didn't expose anything. The fact that a small number of black applicants were admitted is not substantial evidence to prove racism, especially when you consider a number of variables including: a) the small number of black people in Britain b) this graph c) the ridiculously high entry standards of Oxford.

In conclusion, there are underlying reasons and for anyone to accuse Oxford of racism is frankly facile and unsubstantiated.
    Did you read the title of this graph?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jacktri)
    to get into Oxford you need to revise daily to get the top grades and there aren't enough black nerds that are willing to give this kind of commitment
    Incorrect. Black population in the UK is SIGNIFICANTLY smaller than the white population. Naturally there would be less applicants.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wucker)
    You condemn him for saying that somebody shouldn't get into Oxford if they are not qualified?
    I personally don't see anything wrong with what he actually said. I completely agree.

Lets face it, white middle/upper class students will be always be favoured especially coming from a private school aswell. Students from black background don't tend to attend this private schools making it much much more difficult to gain admission.

ReputationRep:
    A far greater proportion of black students with AAA apply to Oxford than white students with AAA.
    I highly doubt this.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by *Hakz*)
    I've heard that to be true. But I'm just talking from personal experience and not the overall representation.

I can immediately assume that if for example 100 black students and 100 white students apply to study at Oxford, which group do you think would be more admitted into the university even if they do have the required grades? I can guarantee that it wouldn't be the black students. Why? Offcourse we'll never find out
    More white students will get in. This is because black students apply to the more competitive subjects (28% applied to medicine last year, for instance) and because the average quality of a black candidate will be slightly lower as a greater proportion of black students with AAA apply than white students.

ReputationRep:
    Not true - 452 black students got AAA or greater last year. The main reason for not very many getting in is that they tend to apply to the most competitive subjects. 28% applied for medicine, for instance, compared to just 7% of white applicants.
    Ah but a lot of courses ask for A*s though, also were they all undergrads?
    Man I'm hearing so many different stories, I dunno what to believe anymore :/
    Also, in the boys school in my town, a lot of extremely worthy guys have been applying for Oxford, and every single one of them has been rejected, for the past 3 years, yet every year some girls in my school get in. And the guys I know out of school all got rejected from there too, but some of the girls I know got in. They seem more sexist than racist to me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wavey93)
    Firstly I am Black.
    Read this first: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti....html?ITO=1490

Why is David Cameron suddenly coming out and saying this? Did he not know that this has been happening for years? In my opinion he is just making us look worse, not helping at all. Also did you notice how the article quickly went from black to poor students? David Cameron needs to STFU
    How does this constitute him trying to "be down" with black people? Is he trying to share the culture of certain black demographics, or to pretend he knows the struggles of other black populations? It doesn't seem like it.

ReputationRep:
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by wavey93)
    I highly doubt this.
    In 2009, of the 452 black students that got AAA nationally at least 221 applied to Oxford (so 49%). Of the 29,000 white students that got AAA, 28% applied to Oxford. Source: http://www.ox.ac.uk/media/behind_the...es/101307.html

Believe me now?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Calumcalum)
    How does this constitute him trying to "be down" with black people? Is he trying to share the culture of certain black demographics, or to pretend he knows the struggles of other black populations? It doesn't seem like it.
    Yes, he is doing just that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Hakz*)

I don't normally take part in online political brawls but, frankly, that's utter rubbish!

All other factors equal - assuming each of those two hundred applicants had equally as impressive pre-university academic records - each would have the same opportunity to prove themselves worthy of a place at Oxford based on personal statement, interview performance and, for some subjects, entrance aptitude tests.

Oxford University is not a racially discriminatory institution, no matter how much propagating slander to that effect tickles the egos of those who do.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Mad Cat Lady)
    Ah but a lot of courses ask for A*s though, also were they all undergrads?
    Man I'm hearing so many different stories, I dunno what to believe anymore :/
    Also, in the boys school in my town, a lot of extremely worthy guys have been applying for Oxford, and every single one of them has been rejected, for the past 3 years, yet every year some girls in my school get in. And the guys I know out of school all got rejected from there too, but some of the girls I know got in. They seem more sexist than racist to me
    They were all undergrads yes, and this was last year so all courses were AAA. Here is my source of the 452 figure - if you have a more reliable source than the Oxford uni website then please show me! http://www.ox.ac.uk/media/behind_the...es/101307.html

Last year, 53.4% of people who got in were male. source: http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/under...ns_statistics/

ReputationRep:
    In 2009, of the 452 black students that got AAA nationally at least 221 applied to Oxford (so 49%). Of the 29,000 white students that got AAA, 28% applied to Oxford. Source: http://www.ox.ac.uk/media/behind_the...es/101307.html

Believe me now?
    "A far greater proportion of black students with AAA apply to Oxford than white students with AAA."

This is what you originally said....

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 7, 2011
Poll
Cats or dogs?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.