Turn on thread page Beta

Why the HELL is David Cameron trying to "be down" with black people. watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by united.spammers)
    I'm no fan of his but what's the problem?
    1. He's got his figures wrong.

2. A quarter of the intake are from ethnic minorities.

3. Only a liberal creationist would expect identical distributions of results across genetically diverse groups. http://www.nature.com/nature/journal...l/461726a.html

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xEndeavors)
    I'm half black, and I support the Conservatives, but what the hell is he trying to pull?!

Race/ethnicity shouldn't be a contributing factor in the admissions process. Oxford should accept only the best students with the proper qualifications, regardless of race. It would be equally wrong if they were to accept students just because they were black.

Screw you, Mr. Cameron.
    Spot on imo

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Hakz*)
    I don't care whose fault it is to be honest.

A sensible human being will not make such a racial or unfair statement.

I am black myself and If I had done my best to get the grades needed to get into Oxford, I will not even think of applying there. I am not saying that the university is biased but I do think it discriminates against black people generally. This is one of the main reason why black people are cautious of applying there, not because they do not have the grades needed.

In my opinion, Oxford will always attract and favour middle class white backgrounds than any black background. This is the truth and I really don't give a **** so neg me all you want but it wouldn't solve a thing.
    You said yourself black people are cautious if applying there. If more people applied more would probably get in. And the bit in bold is the bit where you contradicted yourself. You say the university is not biased but then say it discriminates against black people generally. Your opinion is just that an opinion and not the truth. Universities look for people with the right academic qualifications and right qualities for the course they apply to if a lot of black people don't apply then obviously a lot of black people will not get in. Maybe it's the prejudice that people like you hold against Oxford university is the reason why you don't get in.

ReputationRep:
    I personally don't see anything wrong with what he actually said. I completely agree.

Lets face it, white middle/upper class students will be always be favoured especially coming from a private school aswell. Students from black background don't tend to attend this private schools making it much much more difficult to gain admission.
    I go to a private school and probably about 50% of my school is filled with ethnic minorities (Indian, Pakistanis, Chinese, Arab and black) about 25% are probably black. Do you even have any idea how far Oxbridge goes for the applicants identity to remain anonymous.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ash121)
    I'm Black, and I don't have a problem with DC exposing Oxford.
    I think its disgusting only ONE black person was admitted into Oxford, considering I knew a few black people who applied and had the right credentials to get in.

Guess its colour not credentials eh?
    It's not actually true that only one black person was admitted to Oxford that year; Oxford has loads of people of different ethnicities it's a world renown university dumnass.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Limitless)
    If black people don't have the right qualifications and qualitites to get into Oxford how is that Oxfords universities fault.
    This!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chi019)
    liberal creationist
    LOL

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wavey93)
    Firstly I am Black.
    Read this first: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti....html?ITO=1490

Why is David Cameron suddenly coming out and saying this? Did he not know that this has been happening for years? In my opinion he is just making us look worse, not helping at all. Also did you notice how the article quickly went from black to poor students? David Cameron needs to STFU
    da blud is obviously tryin to gets da black vote init! Well all u black peoples out there, vote labour or don't vote at all in the next election. Help keep this toff out - the mother ****ing etonian retarded aristocratic good for nothing, thatherite, blood sucking ****!

/rant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ash121)
    I'm Black, and I don't have a problem with DC exposing Oxford.
    I think its disgusting only ONE black person was admitted into Oxford, considering I knew a few black people who applied and had the right credentials to get in.

Guess its colour not credentials eh?
    no disrespect to u bruv but it was 30 black people. Only one was black afro carribean.

ReputationRep:
    If black people don't have the right qualifications and qualitites to get into Oxford how is that Oxfords universities fault.
    I do not like the way you are generalising about black people. In fact I know a lot of black people who have achieved outstanding A levels, that do in fact meet the requirements of Oxford, however, although they end up getting into fairly good universities, they still cannot get into places like Oxford. And I think that is the issue here. Not that" black people don't have the right qualifications" because that is one very ignorant understatement.

ReputationRep:
    I go to a private school and probably about 50% of my school is filled with ethnic minorities (Indian, Pakistanis, Chinese, Arab and black) about 25% are probably black. Do you even have any idea how far Oxbridge goes for the applicants identity to remain anonymous.
    Your private school is only a small proportion of all private schools, trust me. There are probably far less black pupils in private school than probably any other ethnic background.

I am not saying that Oxbridge is a racially discriminatory institution. My point all along is that black backgrounds are more culturally and materially deprived compared to white people. Therefore white/middle class students application can be boosted because of their cultural capital.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BabyFace)
    I do not like the way you are generalising about black people. In fact I know a lot of black people who have achieved outstanding A levels, that do in fact meet the requirements of Oxford, however, although they end up getting into fairly good universities, they still cannot get into places like Oxford. And I think that is the issue here. Not that" black people don't have the right qualifications" because that is one very ignorant understatement.
    You do know how competitive Oxford is don't you. Maybe that is the reason why they never got in.
    You can't draw a valid conclusion from the article as we are not told how many people applied in the first place but say for arguments sake only one person applied and he got in would that still be classed as disgraceful.
    Getting into university has a lot to do with the the right qualities and qualification but luck also has a little to do with it. Obviously you have a better chance of getting into a less competitive university in England i.e not Oxbridge, than you do a competitive one such as Oxbridge.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BabyFace)
    Thank you.

Infact, there are vast majority of black students with similar grades but they are just too scared to even apply to these institutions.

ReputationRep:
    Your private school is only a small proportion of all private schools, trust me. There are probably far less black pupils in private school than probably any other ethnic background.

I am not saying that Oxbridge is a racially discriminatory institution. My point all along is that black backgrounds are more culturally and materially deprived compared to white people. Therefore white/middle class students application can be boosted because of their cultural capital.
    So if people from black backgrounds are culturally and materially deprived (Pretty far-fetched assumption to make) then what do you want Oxford to do lower the grades for black people and thus become biased?

ReputationRep:
    You said yourself black people are cautious if applying there. If more people applied more would probably get in. And the bit in bold is the bit where you contradicted yourself. You say the university is not biased but then say it discriminates against black people generally. Your opinion is just that an opinion and not the truth. Universities look for people with the right academic qualifications and right qualities for the course they apply to if a lot of black people don't apply then obviously a lot of black people will not get in. Maybe it's the prejudice that people like you hold against Oxford university is the reason why you don't get in.
    Looooool I admit that I didn't word that bit clear for everyone. I should have worded it properly. That statement was clearly wrong and all I meant was that black people are at a disadvantage because of their social class, educational background e.t.c. That will probably be the reason why it is harder for them to get into Oxford.

Oxford university is the university that the have the utmost respect for in the universe. I have nothing against it and I think it is the most fascinating institution that will ever be created. It's historical principles and concepts I find really eye catching and no other institution can compare in my opinion.

I hope you understand where I'm coming from

ReputationRep:
    Looooool I admit that I didn't word that bit clear for everyone. I should have worded it properly. That statement was clearly wrong and all I meant was that black people are at a disadvantage because of their social class, educational background e.t.c. That will probably be the reason why it is harder for them to get into Oxford.

Oxford university is the university that the have the utmost respect for in the universe. I have nothing against it and I think it is the most fascinating institution that will ever be created. It's historical principles and concepts I find really eye catching and no other institution can compare in my opinion.

I hope you understand where I'm coming from

ReputationRep:
    Exactly. Accept people because they're good enough, not because you want x amount of this race and y of the other.

I've heard that to be true. But I'm just talking from personal experience and not the overall representation.

I can immediately assume that if for example 100 black students and 100 white students apply to study at Oxford, which group do you think would be more admitted into the university even if they do have the required grades? I can guarantee that it wouldn't be the black students. Why? Offcourse we'll never find out
    Depends on how well each individual student performs in the admission tests/interview/written work etc. Answer: it's variable.

ReputationRep:
    You do know how competitive Oxford is don't you. Maybe that is the reason why they never got in.
    You can't draw a valid conclusion from the article as we are not told how many people applied in the first place but say for arguments sake only one person applied and he got in would that still be classed as disgraceful.
    Getting into university has a lot to do with the the right qualities and qualification but luck also has a little to do with it. Obviously you have a better chance of getting into a less competitive university in England i.e not Oxbridge, than you do a competitive one such as Oxbridge.
    Yes I do know how competitive Oxford is, and I'm not disputing that that's why maybe these black students dont get in, but what I'm trying to say is that people can't make statements like "black people don't have the qualifications" because this is not true.

(Original post by Mad Cat Lady)
    Ah but a lot of courses ask for A*s though, also were they all undergrads?
    Man I'm hearing so many different stories, I dunno what to believe anymore :/
    Also, in the boys school in my town, a lot of extremely worthy guys have been applying for Oxford, and every single one of them has been rejected, for the past 3 years, yet every year some girls in my school get in. And the guys I know out of school all got rejected from there too, but some of the girls I know got in. They seem more sexist than racist to me
    Poor anecdotal evidence. Perhaps the people from the "boys school" were just poor candidates? :dunce:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 7, 2011
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.