Turn on thread page Beta

Why the HELL is David Cameron trying to "be down" with black people. watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ash121)
    I'm Black, and I don't have a problem with DC exposing Oxford.
    I think its disgusting only ONE black person was admitted into Oxford, considering I knew a few black people who applied and had the right credentials to get in.

Guess its colour not credentials eh?
    Lots of people applied to Oxford with the right credentials, but still didn't get in. It has nothing to do with race.

ReputationRep:
    Not really relevant but I find it a little un-PC to use the phrase
    "black people"
    when really he should use the phrase
    "people of west-indian or african backgrounds"
    I don't think classifying people by how dark they are is very helpful.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Limitless)
    If black people don't have the right qualifications and qualitites to get into Oxford how is that Oxfords universities fault.
    Exactly this.

Oxford need to tell him to **** off.

ReputationRep:
    Well would you rather he did NOTHING?

You'd complain about that then wouldn't you?

What I find shocking is the reported number of black people who apparently even qualify for an oxbridge education. This should be addressed first and foremost.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Evangelica)
    Not true - two of my friends got 6As at AS Level predicted 2A*s and 2As at A2 level and 3A*s and one A, both got rejected after the interview. Sure, their interview must have gone badly, but it's rude to assume black people don't work hard or revise at all ignorant idiot. Anyway, it's true that many fewer black people apply to Oxbridge, so they will be under represented that's just how it is.
    i am saying working too hard is a bad thing think about it 50 years ago to get into Oxford the amount of effort you had to put in on a scale of 1-100 was say 50/100 then the year after that people started working harder to beat their competitors and it keeps going up year after year so now we are at the 100 mark these nerds think they are doing the smart thing by putting in all that effort when actually if they collectively decided to put in 50 instead of 100 effort they would still end up at Oxford

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by I<3LAMP)
    Well would you rather he did NOTHING?

You'd complain about that then wouldn't you?

What I find shocking is the reported number of black people who apparently even qualify for an oxbridge education. This should be addressed first and foremost.
    No I wouldn't have and never did.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by *Hakz*)
    I am not talking about the overall representation of black student with the grades. I'm just talking about some of my friend that did achieve those grades.
    And sorry just feel i should point out - the 221 black applicants with AAA figure is to Oxford only - Cambridge got a further 254, meaning more black students applied to Oxbridge than got the grades required to get in! If you know black students with AAA that did not apply to Oxford or Cambridge, they truly are exceptional.

Its good to see, from an access perspective. I think Oxford and Cambridge deserve a congratulations for doing so well in reaching out to black students, not being criticized for a couple of paranoid friends of yours.

ReputationRep:
    its cos before he were accused of being racist. as he had no black mp!
    thats why gaining more votes. all political blad.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nexttime)
    And sorry just feel i should point out - the 221 black applicants with AAA figure is to Oxford only - Cambridge got a further 254, meaning more black students applied to Oxbridge than got the grades required to get in! If you know black students with AAA that did not apply to Oxford or Cambridge, they truly are exceptional.

Its good to see, from an access perspective. I think Oxford and Cambridge deserve a congratulations for doing so well in reaching out to black students, not being criticized for a couple of paranoid friends of yours.
    I do not blame Oxbridge for the paranoia caused to my friends. On the other hand, I don't blame my friends either. It is what goes on in the media or traditional principles that brainwashes people. Most people will agree that Oxford as an institution, to be elitists.

ReputationRep:
    For the love of God please don't get Political Correctness invloved into Education, it's already crippled the system as it is.

ReputationRep:
    He could either attack oxbridge for not accepting enough blacks or attack the blacks for not getting the grades.

What do you think he is going to do?

some but not all blacks always like to portray like their victims or misunderstood, you my friend are one of that some. Grow up mate.

30? lol you could fit them all into a classroom, this is a university of 20,000
    Actually, the figure's more like 40, and Oxford's just over 10,000.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lordcomic)
    He could either attack oxbridge for not accepting enough blacks or attack the blacks for not getting the grades.

What do you think he is going to do?

some but not all blacks always like to portray like their victims or misunderstood, you my friend are one of that some. Grow up mate.
    Are you serious? I AM IN NO WAY trying to gain sympathy. If anything David Cameron is showing more sympathy than i am. I think you misunderstood me. And why does there need to be attacking in the first place? Why not just accept it for what it is instead of him pretending he actually cares.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RamocitoMorales)
    Actually, the figure's more like 40, and Oxford's just over 10,000.
    http://www.ox.ac.uk/staff/news/stude...bers_2010.html

So it is. I was looking at undergraduate numbers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wavey93)
    No I wouldn't have and never did.
    I can understand why you can be offended by him switching terms and equating black people with those poorest but in many cases it is unfortunately true. The poorest areas of London are usually the most multicultural.

More needs to be done to better educate those in the poorest areas so those of all ethnic groups have a good shot.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wavey93)
    Are you serious? I AM IN NO WAY trying to gain sympathy. If anything David Cameron is showing more sympathy than i am. I think you misunderstood me. And why does there need to be attacking in the first place? Why not just accept it for what it is instead of him pretending he actually cares.
    Maybe i was wrong for saying that. but he has to try and be down for his own good. i know where youre coming from. im a white working class boy with a heavy cockney accent in a largely middle class school. i do feel that people find it hard to take me seriously at times. sometimes i even think ther scared of me, look at me as if im some sort of football hooligan. but thats just life and i get on with it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by I<3LAMP)
    I can understand why you can be offended by him switching terms and equating black people with those poorest but in many cases it is unfortunately true. The poorest areas of London are usually the most multicultural.

More needs to be done to better educate those in the poorest areas so those of all ethnic groups have a good shot.
    I actually agree, the schooling in areas with high ethnic minorities is usually terrible.

ReputationRep:
    Cameron is just taking a shot at big, bad, elitist Oxford in an attempt to sound all progressive and cuddly.

If a particular demographic (whether it is white, black or purple with orange stripes) is underrepresented in top universities, it is the fault of the state education system and is hence up to Cameron and Gove to deal with. Unless of course anyone has any proof of direct racial discrimination, which I highly doubt.

ReputationRep:
    I actually agree, the schooling in areas with high ethnic minorities is usually terrible.
    I grew up and was schooled in Hackney-I got lucky with my teachers. Some of my sister's teachers have been TERRIBLE.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 7, 2011
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.