Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Extended Project Qualification or an extra A2 level? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I am currently studying Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Psychology at AS level and I am going to apply to study Medicine in October.

I would like to drop Psychology after AS and start an Extended Project Qualification (our college has a new rule whereby you have to either continue on with 4 A2 levels, drop one and take EPQ, drop one and take Critical Thinking, or drop one and take OCR Text Processing..) and my Dad has got me worried that this might not be the best decision? Any advice would be very welcome!

ReputationRep:
    I would go for EPQ another A2 just puts added pressure on and it's kind of worthless as you only need 3 A2 levels. Although EPQ is suppose to get you extra UCAS points which medical schools don't use, it gives you something to talk about, makes your application different. Critical thinking is just useless as most medical schools just ignore it. I'm not familiar with OCR text processing so I can't comment on that. But if I were you I would do EPQ.

I'm also thinking of applying next year and I'm hopefully going to do EPQ.

ReputationRep:
    I want to do marine biology/ ecology. I'm doing AS bio, chem, math and geog but'll probably drop maths and may pick up the EPQ, which is a new thing my college will be starting from september.

ReputationRep:
    Personally i think it would be better to do the EPQ ONLY if you are able to choose a good topic relevant to medicine if not then i think you would be wasting your time and you would be better off doing an extra a level.

ReputationRep:
    I'd do the EPQ- it can be fairly interesting (if you want it to be), will give you something to talk about in interviews and takes up far less time than an A2.

ReputationRep:
    EPQ

+ Good in that it gives you something to talk about at interview and in your personal statement perhaps.
    + It's slightly more unique than four A-levels.
    + Potentially interesting and gives you a chance to do research.
    - Purely as a qualification (as in without explaining it, just to see 'EPQ' on a CV) it is worthless.

Extra A-level

+ If you are good at the A-level you increase your chances of getting AAA (as you do another subject, more possibilities)
    + Actually useful as a qualification
    - Don't need it for a university offer
    - Takes up more time than an EPQ

-----
    I do 4 A-levels and the EPQ and it isn't too much work (relative to what I'm used to and able to cope with). The EPQ was really interesting for me and I got to spend the day at Oxford University doing some research on my topic. I'm glad I did the EPQ but at the same time I would regret it if I didn't do 4 A-levels lol (no real reason).

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 12, 2011
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.